Player Discussion Zac Jones

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I've been generally happy with Jones' play so far, but if all things stay the same by the time the TDL comes around, I'd prefer if we added another 7D. Not necessarily to play ahead of him, but in case he gets brutally exposed in the playoffs we need somebody that can step in and help stabilize the third pair.

Plus/minus isn't a good stat, but it's no accident that he's last on the team. Him and Schneider can be quite the journey when the opposing team is able to pin them in for a cycle or two.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Gus put up 42p last year and will likely finish with 50+ this year. He’s getting paid this summer. 20M over 4/5 years. We can’t afford that.

If Jones builds or even maintains his play then we got our #6dmen.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Gus put up 42p last year and will likely finish with 50+ this year. He’s getting paid this summer. 20M over 4/5 years. We can’t afford that.

I do not think any team will give him that kind of commitment

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
So Fox is coming back soon. Can we say now that as 7D Jones held up pretty well? Let me put it this way - when was the last time a clear cut 7th defenseman performed this well?

Attachments

• 8B033872-994C-42FC-AC11-B35530F8A595.jpeg
    8B033872-994C-42FC-AC11-B35530F8A595.jpeg
    43.5 KB · Views: 5
  • D5C59B2E-EE8D-4E57-A5D2-70FDC46D4AF2.jpeg
    D5C59B2E-EE8D-4E57-A5D2-70FDC46D4AF2.jpeg
    45 KB · Views: 8
  • Wow
Reactions: Ranger Wolf

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Hopefully he improved his trade value enough that we can get a decent pick for him after fox comes back. It’s not really fair to him to have him sit in the press box for the rest of the year after what he showed.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Hopefully he improved his trade value enough that we can get a decent pick for him after fox comes back. It’s not really fair to him to have him sit in the press box for the rest of the year after what he showed.
Promise no more injuries the rest of the season?

Reactions: PuckLuck3043

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island

The Rangers are his seventh NHL team and he will be 32 in March. Depending on how the rest of the season goes, he may get 2 years at $1.7-$1.8.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
The Rangers are his seventh NHL team and he will be 32 in March. Depending on how the rest of the season goes, he may get 2 years at $1.7-$1.8.
I was going to be generous and say 2-3 years @ $2.5ish

If he can get a bigger deal from another team, more power to him. It will be his biggest pay day

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
I don’t see any reason to not rotate Jones and Schneider on the bottom pair when everyone’s healthy.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Jones is not being moved. He's 812k next season as well. That will be extremely valuable if he plays like this.

You can begin a discussion about moving Lindgren if he continues to push forward. He's going to break down in his next deal, and I'd prefer it not to happen on the Rangers.

Reactions: 80shockeywasbuns

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
So Fox is coming back soon. Can we say now that as 7D Jones held up pretty well? Let me put it this way - when was the last time a clear cut 7th defenseman performed this well?
He has been fine despite all the perfectionists who don’t appreciate players sometimes make errors. Especially young ones who have been sitting for weeks. But no, he has been a beauty, considering.

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
I've been generally happy with Jones' play so far, but if all things stay the same by the time the TDL comes around, I'd prefer if we added another 7D. Not necessarily to play ahead of him, but in case he gets brutally exposed in the playoffs we need somebody that can step in and help stabilize the third pair.

Plus/minus isn't a good stat, but it's no accident that he's last on the team. Him and Schneider can be quite the journey when the opposing team is able to pin them in for a cycle or two.

i tend to agree, but at the same time who are you bringing in to be a co 7th dman? unless something goes wrong and he's playing every night going into the playoffs it doesn't make sense to bring someone in that isn't perpetually available for next to nothing to watch games in a suit unless something goes wrong. i agree from a depth perspective and potential matchup fit in that context - ideally you have a bigger body available.

what it comes down to is unless we're unfortunate enough to be put in the top 6 market, whoever we acquire to be the big body spare is the kind of player nobody wants to actually see in the lineup. you can't pick up a dman that's a legit upgrade over jones hut will ideally be a glorified lawn ornament from the deadline on. realistically you just pick up one or 2 bodies in the lost and found bin that play a more defensive/physical game and hope for a miracle if you're forced to actually play them. but....its probably not going to be a miracle.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
If I am Drury, I approach Gustafsson right now with an extension of 3 years @ $2.25m per season. Get that out of the way.

Next step is to take a hard look at Lindgren and what his value may be in the off-season.

Miller-Fox
Jones-Trouba
Gustafsson-Schneider

Reactions: 80shockeywasbuns

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
i tend to agree, but at the same time who are you bringing in to be a co 7th dman? unless something goes wrong and he's playing every night going into the playoffs it doesn't make sense to bring someone in that isn't perpetually available for next to nothing to watch games in a suit unless something goes wrong. i agree from a depth perspective and potential matchup fit in that context - ideally you have a bigger body available.

what it comes down to is unless we're unfortunate enough to be put in the top 6 market, whoever we acquire to be the big body spare is the kind of player nobody wants to actually see in the lineup. you can't pick up a dman that's a legit upgrade over jones hut will ideally be a glorified lawn ornament from the deadline on. realistically you just pick up one or 2 bodies in the lost and found bin that play a more defensive/physical game and hope for a miracle if you're forced to actually play them. but....its probably not going to be a miracle.

I actually don't think there is any realistic 7D out there that would be a clear upgrade over the way that he's played since his first three or four games. Odds are whoever we would add would be behind him on the depth chart, which is fine by me.

I'm just very concerned about what happens in the playoffs when the momentum turns against us for stretches, and we're being hemmed in for some shifts, getting knocked around and having to defend off the cycle. Him and Schneider are not good at weathering the storm in those spots yet.

Like, look at how Florida played to get to the finals last season, or how Tampa eliminated us two years ago; those are hard games where you have to fight for every inch of space. Starting out with Jones as 7D is fine, but I'd definitely have a planB in place.

Reactions: egelband

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad