Yzerman on the deadline, the new aquistions, his reputation, Blashill's future, the prospects etc

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
People are reading way too much into people trying to read Yzerman.

IMO, these press conferences are must-see stuff if you're a Wings fan.

You watch Yzerman enough, and you get a sense for how he answers questions.

I thought he definitely struck a different tone with the Blashill question.
His actual words expressed disappointment in the team's performance over the last six weeks. That's not something we've heard a lot of from Yzerman - not even during the carbomb season two years ago.
I believe his answer was revealing.

Personally, as someone who wants Blashill gone, his response gave me more hope that we'll see a change.

Last edited:

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
You are saying in 2 years Seider going to get paid more than Larkin? Never going to happened
Larkin isn’t Lidstrom, his pay isn’t going to set the bar. Larkin is a 1B/2 center on a contender according to most of the people who aren’t Wings fans. He’s not currently nor will he be the best player on the team. So in what world should he be the bar?

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
Yzerman is not waiting, he believes in Blashil
Obviously, otherwise he would have fired him already. Like with any coach in the NHL, that can change at any moment, especially if a better option becomes available, which was exactly my point.

Reactions: lilidk

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
The interview was pretty boilerplate, which is standard for Yzerman. He’s not one to put it all out there, no idea why anyone would expect different.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Larkin isn’t Lidstrom, his pay isn’t going to set the bar. Larkin is a 1B/2 center on a contender according to most of the people who aren’t Wings fans. He’s not currently nor will he be the best player on the team. So in what world should he be the bar?
If they bring bring big name center or defenseman, yes, but Seider paid more than Larkin it's lit too much

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
People are reading way too much into people trying to read Yzerman.

IMO, these press conferences are must-see stuff if you're a Wings fan.

You watch Yzerman enough, and you get a sense for how he answers questions.

I thought he definitely struck a different tone with the Blashill question.
His actual words expressed disappointment in the team's performance over the last six weeks. That's not something we've heard a lot of from Yzerman - not even during the carbomb season two years ago.
I believe his answer was revealing.

Personally, as someone who wants Blashill gone, his response gave me more hope that we'll see a change.

I got the feeling Yzerman's tone on the Blashill question had more to do with annoyance at HSJ not following your 3rd line above and asking about Blashill in every media availability when by now she should know he's going to give the same answer he gave last time and the time before that and the time before that...

Reactions: MBH

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
If they bring bring big name center or defenseman, yes, but Seider paid more than Larkin it's lit too much
Why? Larkin isn't talented enough for his contract to be the maximum a player should be paid on this team. Not to mention paying a star defenseman less than 7 million in today's salary cap world is a great way to see them leave.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
1647967521356.png

This made me chuckle slightly.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
About par for sellers this season, plus Leddy was the only real deal. Stech and Vlad were small deals.

Francis was a busy guy in Seattle.
Seattle and Detroit are not even remotely in the same position lol.

Francis absolutely blew the expansion draft and the result is that even a team as bad as Detroit has a handful of guys that would be the best player on Seattle. Not to mention Seattle has one high end prospect. (To be expected for a first year franchise)

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I got the feeling Yzerman's tone on the Blashill question had more to do with annoyance at HSJ not following your 3rd line above and asking about Blashill in every media availability when by now she should know he's going to give the same answer he gave last time and the time before that and the time before that...
Right
But he allowed that he was disappointed in the last six weeks.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
People saying "he believes in Blash or he'd fire him right now" really don't seem to get Yzerman's path with this team.
In 2-3 other places during the interview, he expressed the importance of stability and not rocking the boat.
If Blash goes, it's after the season. Not with 6 weeks left.

Reactions: NervousPerson

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

I'd say that anyone that is still grouping Larkin as a 2C, such as yourself, should drop the charade.

He's producing better than or comparable the following 1Cs on playoff teams:

Comparable:
Sebastian Aho
Mika Zibanejad
Evgeny Kuznetsov (better if Backstrom)
Elias Lindholm

Better:
Brayden Point
Patrice Bergeron
Ryan O'Reilly
Anze Kopitar
Any C on the Golden Knights
Any C on the Wild

He's behind Mackinnon, McDavid, Duchene, Matthews, Barkov and Crosby.

This isn't to say his value is greater than or equal to everyone listed here, but he is unquestionably in the mix with the 1Cs of competitive teams. He isn't a lock top 10 center in the league, but he's closer to that than he is to being near 30 at this point.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Proved by unsubstantiated rumors totally dismissed by people involved.

Yes yes, critical thinking is dead and you're Socrates.

It doesn't matter if any specific rumor is true or not. What I said remains true. The reality of sports management is that the vast majority of the work isn't shown to the public. We only see the finished product. Which serves as a metric of comparison between franchises, but fails to address the context of dozens of decisions and outcomes. That's all. It's not remotely controversial or even that insightful.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
About par for sellers this season, plus Leddy was the only real deal. Stech and Vlad were small deals.

Francis was a busy guy in Seattle.
He also had way more to deal. We can’t keep dealing all our good players for picks for forever. We’re supposed to be leaving a rebuild.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Anybody care to throw out their predictions for Larkin/Bertuzzi deals?

Larkin, I’d say the market is around 8 x $8.25M - $8.75M. I’d love to see him take a team friendly 8 x $7.5M, knowing that he’s sticking it out through the pain to be competitive and there will be massive paydays coming for the likes of Seider and Raymond.

Bert is a hard market to gauge because his production suggests one thing, but he’s such a rare commodity that it drives his value up. I wouldn’t mind seeing something like 5 x $8M. I put the AAV higher than Larkin due to the shorter term. I have a really hard time giving him term due to his back.
Larkin shouldn’t be asked to take any kind of team friendly deal. We haven’t heard a peep from his camp about spending 6 straight years on the outside of the playoffs looking in. Anything under $9M AAV is reasonable and almost certainly less than he could get in UFA. I’d be pretty happy with 8.5M x 8 for Larkin.

Bert should really be capped at 7.5M x 6, and that’s still an ugly deal internally. He’s not worth a longer commitment or more money. I don’t think Bert being a ppg player is a fluke at all, but I don’t think he can drive his own line and while I think he can make a good center look great, he’s not good enough to make an OK center look good. That’s the difference between a $7M and $8M winger IMO.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
You are saying in 2 years Seider going to get paid more than Larkin? Never going to happened
Assuming he continues his play in two years and stays a top 10D? Absolutely he will be. An average #1C shouldn’t be the bar you set salary wise. In a perfect world when we’re contending Larkin is only our 3rd of 4th best player

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Larkin shouldn’t be asked to take any kind of team friendly deal. We haven’t heard a peep from his camp about spending 6 straight years on the outside of the playoffs looking in. Anything under $9M AAV is reasonable and almost certainly less than he could get in UFA. I’d be pretty happy with 8.5M x 8 for Larkin.

Bert should really be capped at 7.5M x 6, and that’s still an ugly deal internally. He’s not worth a longer commitment or more money. I don’t think Bert being a ppg player is a fluke at all, but I don’t think he can drive his own line and while I think he can make a good center look great, he’s not good enough to make an OK center look good. That’s the difference between a $7M and $8M winger IMO.
I actually have no problem paying him ~$8M but I wouldn’t want more than 4-5 years. His injury history is scary

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad