Yzerman on the deadline, the new aquistions, his reputation, Blashill's future, the prospects etc

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

*Was focused on selling the UFAs. Got about what he expected. Maybe hoped for more in some cases, but close to what was expected.
* Was not focus on trading any of the signed players.
* Does hope to sign Bertuzzi and Larkin, two good players who want to be here
* Asked about keeping Blash, Yzerman seemed a little surprised/taken aback. Admits to being disappointed over the last six weeks, and says this interview is about the trade deadline, not about coaches. He'll talk to Blash later.
* Might keep Berggren in the AHL for stability so he knows he's there for the year and can focus on the playoffs.
*In terms of D, if the Wings need D, he'd call up Lashoff or Renouf instead of Sebrango or McIsaac.
*Likes Walman. Has been scouting him since he was in college. Good defenseman with a hard point shot playing behind a good Blues defense. Likes the left shot and says he's auditioning for a job with so many LD holes next year, along with Juolevi.
*Says Sundvqist is a hard-nosed Rightshot forward who kills penalties, plays up and down the lineup and was popular in the room in St. Louis
*Says he's not "up to something" or trying to pull off big moves or trying to outsmart people. He's just quiet and doesn't feel the need to share a lot.
*Says the flat cap has hamstrung some teams*
*We're a long ways away from the playoffs
*There are some issues bringing over Swedes to finish the season due to the IIHF agreement not being signed.
* Couldn't be happier with the development of Elmer Soderblom.
*Simon Edvinsson has made an impact for a 19 year old.
* Namestnikov played well for us. Member of another org now, can't comment on bringing him back. We'll be looking at the UFA market to improve the club next year.
[

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
It’s weird to me how obsessed many are about yzerman “fleecing” other GMs. Like sure, we don’t want to make bad trades but some of the narrative around yzerman is super cringey to me.

“Yzergod” “fleecing” “other teams need to stop answering the phone when yzerman calls”

It all sounds super petty and childish. I get people are excited about certain moves but Just let the man do his job without building him up to be some kind of deity.

He will make mistakes, likely many.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
He never said we are a long way from the playoffs from what I remember hearing. I think OP is speculating from their own view of things.

Reactions: The Red Line

Larkin2AA

Apr 21, 2016
Rochester Hills, MI
It’s weird to me how obsessed many are about yzerman “fleecing” other GMs. Like sure, we don’t want to make bad trades but some of the narrative around yzerman is super cringey to me.

“Yzergod” “fleecing” “other teams need to stop answering the phone when yzerman calls”

It all sounds super petty and childish. I get people are excited about certain moves but Just let the man do his job without building him up to be some kind of deity.

I said Yzerman fleeced the Caps last year with the Mantha trade. I thought it was a great trade for us at the time and still do.

I don’t really understand the “fleecing” comments for the Leddy trade. I think it matched what the market was asking. You did see what seemed like a lot of Blues fans mad with the trade on their end, so I guess you can say Yzerman got the better part? Idk. We have to wait and see.

The Fabbri trade was luck. STL was doing Fabbri a solid after his injury trouble to get a tryout on a rebuilding team. That worked out great for us.

I’m not sure if there were any other trades where the term “fleecing” could be used. Athanasiou trade?

Reactions: Roomba With a Bauer

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008

Giving Blashil extra 2 years his biggest mistake

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

I think it's just a meme.

You know, like kicking tires or realgud.

Reactions: Realgud

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I am not sure why he says the season has been a disappointment. Or did he mean the last month ?
What does he expect from one NHL defenceman on the lest side, Staal who is a quite solid 3rd pair defender?
We now have 1 NHL defenceman, 2 scrubs and 2 AHL defenders. He also stated very clear he does not except us to make playoffs.

I didn't expect us to make it any better than this. This season has been a pleasant surprise to me.

Reactions: odin1981

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Two things more than anything stuck out.
His reaction to the Blash question showed a level of disappointment that Yzerman really hasn't show much. But that reaction was mixed with being pissed at HSJ for the question.
The second thing was, I think Yzerman thinks he's got something in Walman.
Just two perceptions I had.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I am not sure why he says the season has been a disappointment. Or did he mean the last month ?
What does he expect from one NHL defenceman on the lest side, Staal who is a quite solid 3rd pair defender?
We now have 1 NHL defenceman, 2 scrubs and 2 AHL defenders. He also stated very clear he does not except us to make playoffs.

I didn't expect us to make it any better than this. This season has been a pleasant surprise to me.
Should clarify - he thought it was going OK until the last six weeks.

Reactions: 14ari13

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada

Reactions: Reddwit and Oddbob

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
When he said long way away from it, I am quite sure he was talking about this season and us being 20+ pts out of it. Not necessarily that it will take a lot more seasons before we get to the playoffs.

Reactions: simonedvinsson

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
It is going to be ugly, and it sucks because the bottom teams have been so bad, we can't even improve our draft spot.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
It is going to be ugly, and it sucks because the bottom teams have been so bad, we can't even improve our draft spot.
Ehhh this isn’t the case at all. We’re in the #9 slot and there’s an 8 point spread between 4 and 9 with 20 games left.

Top three are out of range for sure, though, barring a catastrophic collapse.

EDIT: Worth noting the two teams that are 8 points behind us are OTT and NJD. We play OTT 3 more times and Jersey twice. Those games are huge in the context of the draft.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

I had no idea what to expect from Walman, but Yzerman said he's been following him since his Tampa days and he knows what he's getting for him. For now it sounds like an audition on the left side, but the fact Yzerman is so familiar with him makes me have slightly higher expectations for him, but again this is a guy I had zero expectations around when he was announced as part of the deal.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Really good overview. I wouldn't mind seeing Namestnikov come back, he was a good fit. It sounds like Yzerman is open to Soderblom and Edvinsson coming over "sooner rather than later".
I think this year is pretty much out given the VISA issue.

I don’t think there was ever any chance of Soderblom going back to Sweden next season, though, and there’s been comments about Edvinsson being done there since around November.

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
Something about the tone just really felt off with this one. There was very little sense of optimism and Yzerman kinda shrugged his shoulders a lot while displaying a lot overall disappointment and defeat. I didn’t feel good after watching。

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad