Yzerman end of season press conference

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Remember the bizarre media tour Holland and Babcock did the summer Babcock left? Very odd in retrospect.
Yeah for all the talk of Babcock alienating people, you need to remember that weird media tour they did, that Holland wanted Babcock to stay as head coach of the Wings, and when players came to Holland about Babcock, Holland had his back.

I know I played the initial part of all this talk but really I think there's no way in hell Babcock becomes the next coach of the Wings.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Yeah for all the talk of Babcock alienating people, you need to remember that weird media tour they did, that Holland wanted Babcock to stay as head coach of the Wings, and when players came to Holland about Babcock, Holland had his back.

I know I played the initial part of all this talk but really I think there's no way in hell Babcock becomes the next coach of the Wings.
CFEmeZ5W8AAyaxP

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I find it hard to follow the pressers, its always generic question followed by non answer. I would say from the body language and league he still feels we are on the front end of the rebuild which I don't think many would be surprised to hear. There is no core roster in place to make claims and projections like playoffs and windows. And he doesn't even know where we are picking yet.

I think he nailed the Blash question pretty well, he openly said the team regressed backing a lot of how people were feeling. An open admission by the head of the team's management probably felt good for a lot of people. He could have just generically said it was time to part ways. I noticed he also added a little about the individual player meetings though. It sounds like he is planning on calling a few individuals out in those meetings. :)

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Blashill supporters gonna be waiting in the bushes for the next hire. He'll get heat almost immediately if Wings don't make playoffs year 1 by the Blashill crowd, imo. Even more heat if they struggle for any reason.

Very interested for sure to see who'll be brought in. I've personally been saying Paul Maurice for a long-time, but I can see also why not. There are a lot of options to swift through quite frankly and it's early. I expect a little time taken before a hire is actually made.

Who ever is brought in I expect Yzerman to pull a few supporting moves for the coach so the team can see significant improvement in the win totals and not face the heat like I mentioned to start.

No I'm a realist, this team is 3 years away from fighting for a spot at best.

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
3 years lol. Get real we aren't buffalo. Yzerman is a patient man for sure but that would be 6 years in the org without playoffs. That happens ill get you username tattooed on my forehead.

Reactions: Snuggs and NickH8

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
Remember when Babcock starting talking about himself in the third person? Yeah, I was happy when he left.

"I've always bet on Mike Babcock" Mike Babcock.

Reactions: SoupNazi

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
A lot can happen in a season. It's not out of the realm of possibility that with a new coach, a couple decent free agents, and more experience these guys compete for a spot. This board has to stop with the hyperbole.

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
A lot can happen in a season. It's not out of the realm of possibility that with a new coach, a couple decent free agents, and more experience these guys compete for a spot. This board has to stop with the hyperbole.
Exactly. Could go either way. I mean Vegas went to the finals as an expansion team, when that team was put together playoffs weren't even expected. The Habs also made the finals last year. Covid season or not they did win games in the playoffs. Teams rise and fall every year, we have 2 rookies in calder talks and our 2 vets had career year yet some are writing the Wings of for 3 more years? Hilarious actually.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi

It's not hyperbole. It's the truth. Unless we win Bedard next year it will be year 6-7 under Yzerman before we start looking towards the bubble with hopes to start making it in if all goes well in the rebuild.

What about Yzerman’s presser made you think he’s content to tank and not make the playoffs?

He knows the roster isn't ready to start to dip into UFA heavily and most good players to get aren't available in ufa really the ones you want get resigned before ufa starts.

cjeagle

Jul 10, 2016
Chicago
One of the reporters at the presser specifically asked about Mike Babcock.

What did he mean by this?

Stevie mentioned that he would prefer coaches he already knew and has worked with in the past and then hinted that he was revealing more than he wanted by saying that so one of the reporters asked if he was referring to Babcock. He reply was non committal of course about that neither confirming or denying whether he was referring to Mike.

Reactions: USMarine

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad