Youth Competitions

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
This is essentially the same group/generation that won the U17 in 2016 for the Portuguese. A bit of a rare double that.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Ajax U19 won 6-0 vs AEK Athens. They might have the best squad in the tournament from what I've seen and read so far. Phenom Naci Unuvar, 15, scored in this one, making him the youngest player ever to have scored in the UEFA youth league. The record was previously hold by teammate Gravenberch.

With Unuvar, Gravenberch (who also gets his minutes for Ajax II and even made the CL selection for Ajax), Ekkelenkamp, Brobbey, Viktor Jenssen, Nicolas Kühn, Che Nunnely, van Gelderen, Timber, immensely talented.

EDIT: Heh, record just got beaten again by Cherki from Lyon.

Last edited:

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Ajax U19 won 6-0 vs AEK Athens. They might have the best squad in the tournament from what I've seen and read so far. Phenom Naci Unuvar, 15, scored in this one, making him the youngest player ever to have scored in the UEFA youth league. The record was previously hold by teammate Gravenberch.

With Unuvar, Gravenberch (who also gets his minutes for Ajax II and even made the CL selection for Ajax), Ekkelenkamp, Viktor Jenssen, Nicolas Kühn, Che Nunnely, van Gelderen, Timber, immensely talented.

Yep...between Unuvar, Simons, Gravenberch and Redan I'm extremely optimistic for the future. That doesn't include many other extremely talented youngsters, but Unuvar especially is looking like an extremely special talent.

Reactions: John Pedro

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Yep...between Unuvar, Simons, Gravenberch and Redan I'm extremely optimistic for the future. That doesn't include many other extremely talented youngsters, but Unuvar especially is looking like an extremely special talent.

gonna look good in the Turkey NT :sarcasm:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

With Unuvar, Gravenberch (who also gets his minutes for Ajax II and even made the CL selection for Ajax), Ekkelenkamp, Viktor Jenssen, Nicolas Kühn, Che Nunnely, van Gelderen, Timber, immensely talented.

What do you think of Sergino Dest?

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
What do you think of Sergino Dest?

Haven’t seen a him a whole lot, to be honest. But he looked like a feisty, speedy back. He looked rather small, but wasn’t to be pushed around in personal battles.

What’s the deal with him playing for the youth teams of the United States? His mom is American? He was born and raised in Almere I believe. Played for Almere City before Ajax snagged him.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Haven’t seen a him a whole lot, to be honest. But he looked like a feisty, speedy back. He looked rather small, but wasn’t to be pushed around in personal battles.

What’s the deal with him playing for the youth teams of the United States? His mom is American? He was born and raised in Almere I believe. Played for Almere City before Ajax snagged him.

His dad is from the USA. He was stationed in Netherlands, and met his mother there.

He's been mostly ignored by Dutch youth teams. I think he had only one or two caps a number of years ago. We brought him in nearly two years ago, and he's done a decent job in our program since. He's shown good versatility playing just about every wide position for us. I don't think he's an Ajax player eventually, but I think he could have a decent pro career. Not much of a star in the US program either, but a solid presence who fills in at a number of positions. I think he has a 50/50 chance to make our U-20 World Cup team at the end of the season. He definitely got a lot of attention after having a really good U-17 World Cup.

Reactions: Ajacied

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010

Incredible scenes in the Liverpool vs. Napoli youth league match. 3 balls on the field at once, Napoli trying to take throw ins from 3 different spots, ball goes out on the far side and the throw in that results in the game tying goal at 90+4 comes from 30 yards up the pitch while another ball is on the field from the other side...but it's allowed to stand.

One of their players is literally in the process of picking up a ball and throwing it out of play while they take their own throw in (way higher up than it was supposed to be).

I don't even know how this is possible.

lol

Last edited:
Reactions: gary69 and Ajacied

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
2019 U21 Euro qualifying is complete for the group stage, 10 of the 12 participants are known

Italy (hosts), Spain, France, England, Serbia, Germany, Croatia, Romania, Belgium, Denmark

The final 2 spots will be determined by two playoff matchups involving Austria, Greece, Poland and Portugal, the draw is on Friday with the games being played in the November international window

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Watching Benfica vs Ajax in the UEFA youth league. Benfica is very, very good. I think they might be the favorite for the title. Their short, agile and speedy players cause problems for Ajax.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Watching Benfica vs Ajax in the UEFA youth league. Benfica is very, very good. I think they might be the favorite for the title. Their short, agile and speedy players cause problems for Ajax.
Not when Ajax have Gravenberch bossing the midfield. ;)

Reactions: Ajacied

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Just when I posted that, Ajax dominated the game, winning 3-0. Though Benfica is ridiculously talented themselves. It could've been 2-0 Benfica at halftime. Their forwards were rapid and hard to stop one on one. They find combinations very easily. There will be an entirely different outcome in Portugal.

Some notes:

- Unuvar (AM) didn't play, obviously. Game was pretty close for most of the time and why rush him.
- Gravenberch (CM) had a great game. Scored a goal and had some great passes out there, mostly playing from the side. Also saved a sure goal with a great tackle on the goal line.
- Mitchel Bakker (LB) was outstanding. Technique and two way game is superb. Definitely see him as Ajax' future LB for a long time.
- Brobbey (ST) was good, but I wasn't kidding about lacking finesse. He wasted some quality chances with his powerful shot. One nearly split the bar in half. He could have had 3 or even 4 had he played those balls with more touch or patience. But man, he is freakishly strong.
- Kuhn (SS) was inconsistent. Scored a goal, but also lost some balls and was weak in battles.
- Jenssen (AM) is a smart, quality dribbler. He'll reach Ajax I I am sure.
- Same goes for Ekkelenkamp (CM). He was all over the pitch.
- Navaro Bakboord (RB) will be cut sooner or later. I don't think he'll ever sniff Ajax I. Okay offensively, but a liability when Ajax doesn't have the ball.
- Same goes for Sven Botman (CB).
- El Maach (GK) had a great game in goal, but I question his reflexes. It's his weakest part. Reiziger and Kotarski have better shots at Ajax I, I think.
- Dest came in late but was very noticeable. Could've even had two assists. Rushed the left flank constantly.

These games are a lot of fun. Maybe more so than the actual CL stage.

Last edited:
Reactions: YNWA14

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
CONCACAF are deliberately trying to make sure the best teams in North America not qualify for the U20 World Cup. They scheduled the qualifying tournament during the course of the ongoing season. Most of the best players for USA and Mexico will not be available. Make a list of the 15 best US players, and at least ten of them are missing. In no particular order, Adams, Durkin, Weah, Sargent, Carleton, Richards, Amon, Taitague, Ledezma, Soto all were not released are are unavailable for one reason or another.

There are only a few good players on the US team. There are six changes allowed after the initial stage of qualifying, so some of the better players will likely be added then. I think Durkin, 1 of Weah/Sargent/Soto, Carleton, Richards will join the team for the second stage, but thats my own speculation. If Ledezma gets fit, he could also.

Best prospects in the US Squad for the initial phase:

Mark McKenzie-The likely captain of the team. He's the only first division starter right now in the team. CB with good mobility, ball playing and a pretty good defensive game. A little undersized, but he should do well at this tournament. Only player that got released for the tournament among those that there was any reasonable chance might not be released.

Paxton Pomykal-The US squad is seriously undermanned in attack. Pomykal is the only attacking player who probably would've made this team with all the best players available. He'll need to provide a lot of the offensive creativity. He can do that, but he's not shown it consistently yet for the first team at his club team. Part of that is a lack of opportunities.

Ulysses Llanez-One of two players on this team who is eligible for the team in two years. The team has no quality width, besides Llanez. Very direct LW. You know exactly what he's going to do, but he's hard to stop due to very good dribbling, acceleration with the ball, and a excellent shot. The speculation is that he's going to be joining Wolfsburg next summer.

Julian Araujo-The other of the two players eligible for the team in two years, and the youngest player on the team. Araujo is the best long-term prospect on the team. Attack-minded CB. He's as good at build up play as any American CB I've seen, very mobile, and a quality defender. Plays with a edge in the same way that Ramos does. He's undersized, but other than that he's a very good player. He can play RB, but its a total waste of his abilities. Based on the roster composition, he'll likely play CB though.

Last edited:

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Portugal and Austria both won their playoff vs Poland and Greece respectively to secure the final two spots for next years Euro U21 tournament.

Qualified teams are-
Italy (host)
Spain
France
England
Serbia
Germany
Croatia
Denmark
Belguim
Romania
Portugal
Austria

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Portugal lost 3:1 at home (Poland scored all three goals in the first half) and they overturn their deficit while Austria won the 2nd leg 1:0 and advance

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Portugal lost 3:1 at home (Poland scored all three goals in the first half) and they overturn their deficit while Austria won the 2nd leg 1:0 and advance
Jeez. I didn’t even realize this was two legs. Lol. I thought Portugal and Austria qualified on the weekend.

D’oh.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
U21 draw is already on Friday, three groups of four teams which the group winners + best runner-up advance to the semifinals

Pot 1: Italy (Group A; hosts), Germany, England
Pot 2: Spain, Denmark, France
Pot 3: Serbia, Croatia, Belgium, Austria, Poland, Romania

This will also be used as the Euro qualifiers for the 2020 Summer Olympics; the top four will advance to that tournament but if England are in the semifinals there will be a separate playoff (likely against the two runners-up not making the semis) as England aren't eligible to compete in the Olympics on their own

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
USA wins the North American section of Sub20 WC qualifying again. We won all eight games we played and our combined margin of victory was 46-2. Some of those games were against Island nations, but we beat Costa Rica and Mexico by a combined score of 6-0. We did this without almost all our good players. USA is slowly starting to get better, and you should hear more about these players in the coming years.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
DstEdBKWoAEk7So.jpg

On paper A seems to be the toughest group, C is tough as even a side like Romania who finished ahead of Portugal isn't to be overlooked; B is the most open, in fact both Serbia and Austria were in the same qualifying group

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
So after the extremely strange debacle that was the last Liverpool/Napoli youth game, they've played their 2nd leg and Liverpool won 5-0. Glatzel, Jones and Camacho the stand outs. Jones can't be long for a loan or first team appearance...Glatzel has been a goal scoring machine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad