You're Pat Quinn: Who do you start?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenabnrmal

Feb 28, 2002
the beach or rink
Visit site
What a ridiculous question. Proof that an argument can be made supporting ANYTHING if you think about it enough.

I thought Luongo played quite well. The supposed weak goals are being way overblown. Rob was there when it counted, and kept his team from slipping behind. He did his job in this tournament, and I have no doubt that if Marty isnt ready to go on Tues, he'll do the job again against Finland. However, Marty is the team number one goaltender, the best goalie in the world, and has been incredibly strong all tournament. It would be an absolute joke and travesty if Brodeur was 100% and didn't play. There is NO reason to not start him.

PMP5030

Apr 25, 2004
RIGHT BEHIND YOU
Nice post, kenabnrmal. American fan here, and I agree 100%. Luongo did not play poor as the bashers think, but if Broduer is healthy you play him. End of story.

BCCHL inactive

Marconius said:
You sound like you think that if Brodeur had been in net, we wouldn't be playing fo rthe championship?

That's not what I'm saying at all.

What I am saying, is that Luongo is the reason Canada did not lose their semi-final by 2-3 goals. He deserves the final. Don't think about the round robin games that Brodeur won, don't think about the quarter-final that Tommy Salo could have won, think about the semi-final, and why the Czechs only put 3 past Luongo on the 40 shots they put towards him, and especially think about the game-savers Luongo made late in the game and overtime.

I don't think about "what if" scenarios. Brodeur could have saved Canada's ass too last night, but it was Luongo who got the job done.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Van said:

What I am saying, is that Luongo is the reason Canada did not lose their semi-final by 2-3 goals. He deserves the final. Don't think about the round robin games that Brodeur won, don't think about the quarter-final that Tommy Salo could have won, think about the semi-final, and why the Czechs only put 3 past Luongo on the 40 shots they put towards him, and especially think about the game-savers Luongo made late in the game and overtime.

I don't think about "what if" scenarios. Brodeur could have saved Canada's ass too last night, but it was Luongo who got the job done.

He wouldn't have to save so many shots if he 1) didn't give up so many rebounds and 2) could play the puck even half as good as Brodeur. Honestly, if you were Team Canada head coach and you had a 100% healthy Brodeur and you played Luongo out of some crazy "what have you done for me lately" scheme, you would probably be lynched.

Marconius

Jan 27, 2003
Visit site
Van said:

If you're saying Luongo deserves it, I'll agree with you. He did make some huge stops, the big stops, which is the important thing. But 3 weeks ago, Quinn decided to ride Marty. I don't see how one mediocre performance (despite his making the big stops, it was not by any account, consistently, elite) by Luongo changes that?

Brodeur has been performing above expectation, Luongo performed slightly below expectation. If Quinn was AT ALL confident in his initial decision, he goes with Brodeur (assumming he's healthy).

The real question is: How injured does Brodeur have to be, before Luongo becomes the right decision. Is Brodeur better at 90%? 85%?

That is one decision I don't envy Quinn. Because if he starts Luongo, and loses, he's in for one rough ride

EDIT: spelling

Last edited:

devildan

Sep 3, 2002
Visit site
shakes said:
He wouldn't have to save so many shots if he 1) didn't give up so many rebounds and 2) could play the puck even half as good as Brodeur. Honestly, if you were Team Canada head coach and you had a 100% healthy Brodeur and you played Luongo out of some crazy "what have you done for me lately" scheme, you would probably be lynched.

Marconius said:
The real question is: How injured does Brodeur have to be, before Luongo becomes the right decision. Is Brodeur better at 90%? 85%?

That is one decision I don't envy Quinn. Because if he starts Luongo, and loses, he's in for one rough ride

Exactly

David

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Van said:
What I am saying, is that Luongo is the reason Canada did not lose their semi-final by 2-3 goals.

Luongo is young and still learning to win...and last night, he got EXTREMELY lucky!!! The mark of great goaltenders has always been the ability to shut the door when the team got that final goal for you.

Well, Draper (of all people!) got him that goal but Luongo was not able to close the door as the greats like Ken Dryden, Grant Fuhr, Domenic Hasik (grrrrr...I hate including him in this list but I have to...) and St. Patrick Roy have always done. What was it, just 6 seconds??? before they came roaring back????

Despite the running around and being outshot, the team in front of him did what they were supposed to...but Luongo failed to do his part...having to ask the team to score another one for him...

There's no way I would go with Luongo at this point...the only thing he did last night was give us a really exciting game with his inability to shut the door when the team needed him to.

BCCHL inactive

David said:
Luongo is young and still learning to win...and last night, he got EXTREMELY lucky!!! The mark of great goaltenders has always been the ability to shut the door when the team got that final goal for you.

Well, Draper (of all people!) got him that goal but Luongo was not able to close the door as the greats like Ken Dryden, Grant Fuhr, Domenic Hasik (grrrrr...I hate including him in this list but I have to...) and St. Patrick Roy have always done. What was it, just 6 seconds??? before they came roaring back????

Despite the running around and being outshot, the team in front of him did what they were supposed to...but Luongo failed to do his part...having to ask the team to score another one for him...

There's no way I would go with Luongo at this point...the only thing he did last night was give us a really exciting game with his inability to shut the door when the team needed him to.

Did you see the Czechs' third goal?

It had nothing to do with Luongo not "shutting the door". It had everything to do with a horrible defensive breakdown, and a quick pouncing by the Czech forwards with a screen shot. If Luongo sees that shot, he stops it.

If Quinn decides to go with Brodeur, he had better be healthy enough to not tape his wrist (ie: 100%). If Brodeur is 99%, that's not good enough because if that hand cannot do its job, the chances of Brodeur making a mistake catching the puck go up significantly, and his puckhandling skills are out the window as well.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
Go with Luongo

I'm guessing the Canucks will go with Luongo again. If Brodeur has been nursing his injury for the past few days, he's not going to be sharp. Does anyone know if he skated with the team today?

If he didn't, I'm guessing Luongo will be in again Tuesday. There's still a few days though for Marty to hit the ice and sharpen up though... only time will tell.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Loungo looks like he will develop into a very good goalie. But at this stage, if Brodeur is healthy it is a no-brainer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad