You're MacT: What do you do now?

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
MacTavish shouldn't dream of trading Yakupov now unless it was for the same return Boston got for Kessel, and no team is going to give that until he's played more games. A team should only trade a top kid if they believe they are going to win the cup. Boston traded Kessel, and then Wheeler for draft picks and utility players because they had the foundation built.

The solution to the Oilers problems is likely obvious to everyone: A defenseman who averages 28 minutes a game and gets points. I don't have an answer for this.

MacTavish's benign off season moves look like mistakes in hindsight. Retaining Ales Hemsky was a mistake. That money should have been invested elsewhere. Getting David Perron was a good trade, but he is redundant on this team. His talent does not forgive his softness and lack of defense. MacTavish should be doing everything to trade those two players for utility players. Am I wrong in saying Perron and Hemsky are too pretty to win in the playoffs? I hope someone will correct me.

Andrew Ference is a veteran defenseman. To make a bottom pairing defenseman captain is a desperate move. Taylor Hall should have been made captain. If the Oilers want this young group to grow up together they should have started with Hall as captain.

I would agree with those people who say patience is required; however, I can see what type of players are in the main group. The three big-money forwards are all young and fancy, and they are not good enough defensively. One of the big forward contracts should be for an elite, two-way veteran forward (in the style of Toews, Hossa, Bergeron). This is a problem with two solutions: wait a few seasons for these kids to learn, or trade one of Hall, Eberle, RNH which seems to me unthinkable.

My only answer is to wait until Christmas time.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Exactly agree with you 100 percent, its so obvious this core is not the right mix, it never will be, the fact that the team is no closer to a playoff spot than it was 4 years ago is evident of this, After Kane and Toews debuted it took them only 2 years to make the playoffs and 3 to win the stanley cup.

yup. but, Mact can't just make any deal. he has to wait until the right deal (a top pairing D and a top 9 forward with size) is there. this probably wont' come in time to save this season, but there is a good chance it will in time for the next.

I know this sucks, but we can't trade 1 or 2 of Yak, Ebs, J. Schultz and Kelfbom for an OK goalie or an OK veteran D. It has to land us something like Wayne Simmonds and Luke Schenn. something along those lines.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Do nothing

get another top 5 pick, give dubnyk a 5 year 25mill buck contract to gureentee more top 5 picks and continue to rebuild till we have 20 top 5 picks on the top 2 lines

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad