Your worst move as "GM" on HFBoards

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
What is the worst move you've pushed for over the years? Something that you were sure was going to turn out well for the team but was actually the opposite?

Are you willing to admit to failure without caveats and excuses?

At this point, the worst move I would have done for this team is kept Halak and traded Price. Although Price has yet to perform in the playoffs at the same level as Halak (for that one playoff run), he has been an absolute rock in nets for several years, while Halak has struggled to find the same level of stability. I'm hopeful Price will turn it on during the playoffs as well.

So, how would you have screwed up this team given the opportunity? There must be a bad move in your posting history, so don't be shy.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
I was a big fan of Kaberle. Thought Carolina signed him to a great deal, and that Gauthier made a great move to trade for him. Whoops.

Not a big deal but I also ripped the Budaj deal apart two off-seasons ago (I wasn't alone there, though). Said we should have kept Auld.

Finally I remember being disappointed/skeptical that we drafted a ridiculously skinny, 5'8" guy in the fifth round a few years ago...but I deferred to Timmins' judgement and that was a smart move ;)

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
Probably dumping Gorges in the AHL and bury him there. I seriously thought he had no future with the Habs/in the NHL when we acquired him. He was a frail 22 years old who was afraid of his own shadow and the puck was like a grenade when he had it on his stick.

I'm still amazed at how he transformed into complete fearless warrior and leader. I'm still eating a lot of crow on that one

cjbhab*

I was upset at the time we drafted Carey Price..

but I also remember being right in wanting Parise or Getzlaf in 03.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I guess extend Souray at the money he was after. Still my favourite hab of the last decade though.

Still think Souray would've been better as a Hab than an Oiler proven by the fact that once he got out of that organization he became a solid player again. Oilers became a mess once Pronger left.

I miss Souray simply because there is no one on the team or even in the system that brings what he does, size, talent, toughness and a good level of skill not to mention that shot. If we had a younger version of Souray on our team Habs D would be complete.

As for the OP, I always think Habs get the loser side of any deal. lol

I didn't much like the Halak deal at the time not because I thought we should've kept Halak over Price I just thought we could've gotten more for him. But, that looks like a good deal now.

I also liked the Samsonov signing and understood why Goats traded for Kaberle even though it was really unpopular because his contract sucked. Habs will buy him out this off-season but it was worth the gamble.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
To be honest they should have listened to me.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
I remember this board had a hard-on for laraque, and were ecstatic when we got him.

Who wouldn't be though? Habs were desperate for toughness and signed the guy who was supposed to be the toughest fighter in the game. Hard to blame anyone for being excited when that signing happened (I sure was).

Gamimenos

Apr 28, 2009
I was a big fan of Kaberle. Thought Carolina signed him to a great deal, and that Gauthier made a great move to trade for him. Whoops.

Not a big deal but I also ripped the Budaj deal apart two off-seasons ago (I wasn't alone there, though). Said we should have kept Auld.

Finally I remember being disappointed/skeptical that we drafted a ridiculously skinny, 5'8" guy in the fifth round a few years ago...but I deferred to Timmins' judgement and that was a smart move ;)

This. I always wanted Kaberle from back in the day when he was in Toronto. Don't know what happened to him.

Gally11

Sep 20, 2010
Toronto
I also wanted Konopka bad... And I wasn't a fan of Therrien hiring overall at first but not necessarily angry like some people were

Oh and I really wanted Brad Richards to a bunch of different crazy loophole deals

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I was definitely all-in on re-signing Komisarek. Also lots of draft stories, I was a big fan of Shawn Burr, Ramzi Abid, and any number of other picks who wouldn't have panned out so well for us as what we did instead. (but of course there are more counter-examples :) ). I would have been better than all the Habs GMs in my fan lifetime, I'm pretty sure. :) Except for Bergevin! He might still beat me. :) :) :)

cjbhab*

This. I always wanted Kaberle from back in the day when he was in Toronto. Don't know what happened to him.

3 trades that stand out to me.. as in I was absolutely furious the second they happened:

1. Ribeiro for JN
2. Mcdonagh, Higgins for Gomez
3. Spacek for Kaberle

Trades I was immediately ecstatic about:

1. Wisniewski trade
2. Kovalev for Balej and a third

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad