GDT: Your Winnipeg Jets vs Los Angeles Kings | Sun Mar 1, 3PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
As far as being a Jet's fan goes, it really is a totally new world compared to Jet's 1.0. Back in the 80s and 90s you were lucky if a half dozen regular season games were televised every year. You either went to the arena or listened on the radio ftmp. Today, with the HD broadcast of every game and the internet forums and twitter and so forth, the ability to follow the team is just absurd. its really something else...

White Out 403*

Just curious, how often were WHA Jets on TV? All, some?

And for us old guys, its amazing how we watched all kinds of sports on small B&W and even color TVs.

If you had a Sony Trinotron you were a King? Now compared to HD it would be like looking through old scratched up goggles.

I know this wasn't directed at me but I thought I'd chime in with my childhood memories. Watching the Jets on TV was a bit of a treat, I think it was sometimes on CKND? Or MTN maybe? But it isn't like it is today. My most defining memory as a kid was in fact listening to Curt Keilback on my radio. I remember as a kid staring at the big old wooden radio I had with giant red numbers trying to imagine what was happening on the ice as Curt described it to me.

Teams like the Blackhawks seemed larger than life, from far away cities. It was like going to war with other countries but on the rink. I actually think a lot about those times I would hop on a city bus and get cheap 7-11 tickets to games. Back then sometimes these NHL games wouldn't be televised by either teams, so it was just the fans in the crowd and the teams on the ice that would witness them. The game and it's memories belong to us that were there and no one else. No digital; a really different age.

On that note, here's one of the most important wins in Winnipeg Jets history:
Keith Tkachuk get his 50th
Jets win to clinch a playoff berth in the last ever regular season Jets game in 1.0 history
It's the only time in Jets NHL history we had a White Out for a regular season game.

I remember cheering my arse off at home. Good times.

Last edited by a moderator:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
As far as being a Jet's fan goes, it really is a totally new world compared to Jet's 1.0. Back in the 80s and 90s you were lucky if a half dozen regular season games were televised every year. You either went to the arena or listened on the radio ftmp. Today, with the HD broadcast of every game and the internet forums and twitter and so forth, the ability to follow the team is just absurd. its really something else...

Yea 100% agree......this new era is so much more plugged in and I for one love it.

mzappa

Jets fans in space
Jun 27, 2011
Can't say I date-back to those early days, but there was something about having my ear to the radio listening to KY58 quietly as the Jets v1.0 played late games, when my parents thought I was sleeping.

Yea 100% agree......this new era is so much more plugged in and I for one love it.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Can't say I date-back to those early days, but there was something about having my ear to the radio listening to KY58 quietly as the Jets v1.0 played late games, when my parents thought I was sleeping.

Yea the days of following your team on the radio actually connected a younger generation with the generation that grew up on radio only no TV. Lots of imagiation involved and that is pretty magic.

As an real old timer who goes back to black and white only TV I can tell you that this is the golden age. Game is fast....cap gives every team a shot.....all 82 games can be watched on HDTV with a cold bevi in hand......new arena downtown with underground parking beats the hell out of other options.....internet allowing us to form more of an interactive international community is pretty dam cool. Not having a death watch on our team is probably the best part, that was just really painful and sad and kind of trumped everything else.

Hey if anyone wants they can still turn off the lights and listen to the games on the radio to relieve old times its just there are allot more options now.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I've been to a handful of games now at MTS (wish I'd have been able to get there in the first season of Jets 2.0 when the arena was really charged up but oh well) and while it's a fun experience, as far as watching the on ice action goes I honestly would rather see it on the 46" LCD in HD...the action just seems so much more involving and intense in the TV broadcast than it does live. I guess it's due to the forced focus of TV. Live, you are free to look at whatever you want and I find I often miss important events because I'm watching something that's going on elsewhere on the ice or in the stands.

I actually still don't mind listening to games on the radio. I have to quite often when I'm out driving the kids around and what-not and it's still a pretty exciting way to get the game action.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
I've been to a handful of games now at MTS (wish I'd have been able to get there in the first season of Jets 2.0 when the arena was really charged up but oh well) and while it's a fun experience, as far as watching the on ice action goes I honestly would rather see it on the 46" LCD in HD...the action just seems so much more involving and intense in the TV broadcast than it does live. I guess it's due to the forced focus of TV. Live, you are free to look at whatever you want and I find I often miss important events because I'm watching something that's going on elsewhere on the ice or in the stands.

Every game I go to at the MTS Centre I record and I watch when I get home or the next day. It's amazing how you may change your opinion of a certain play or how a player was doing when you see it on the PVR after first watching it live or visa versa. Live you can see play away from the puck like SCP guy said

Last edited:

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg

I actually still don't mind listening to games on the radio. I have to quite often when I'm out driving the kids around and what-not and it's still a pretty exciting way to get the game action.

I have the opposite experience...I catch so much more being there live seeing the entire ice and the action away from the puck....if you are there you get a better feel for how well a player actually played as play away from the puck is a very important way to judge how well a player played

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I have the opposite experience...I catch so much more being there live seeing the entire ice and the action away from the puck....if you are there you get a better feel for how well a player actually played as play away from the puck is a very important way to judge how well a player played

yeah that's true, but I find the game seems much slower and less intense live. For instance, a huge body check that seems utterly explosive on TV just seems much less so live...it just looks like a thing that happened on that little patch of ice in the corner way over there. I don't know...that's my experience anyway. I mean don't get me wrong, I love going to the games as the overall experience is great. But I find the game itself almost always seems less intense live than when I watch at home...although I admit I've had poor luck with the games I've gone to in that none of them has been super intense to begin with. One was the second game against the caps a couple years back...need I say more? :shakehead

Soble

Jan 12, 2012
Toronto
But...but...we had the Winnipeg Jets (1.0) prediction contest!

https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!searchin/alt.sports.hockey.nhl.winnipeg-jets/Prediction$20contest/alt.sports.hockey.nhl.winnipeg-jets/Qd3iwptmL54

If i recall, you had to email in your prediction, in perfect syntax/formatting for the program to pick it up.

Full rules:

↰ 'Prediction contest rules '
*** Jets Prediction Contest is back! ***
1/13/95 Bagel Man

Hi Jets fans,
Well, after much delay, the Jets Prediction Contest is back! Show everyone
your talent in predicting the outcome of each and every (albeit few) Jets
game! Or, perhaps that luck is on your side. Whatever it may be, join in
the fun of the Jets Prediction Contest.

Here's how it works. Before each Jets game, send me, [email protected],
your prediction for the game via email. Statistics are kept and displayed on
the newsgroup alt.sports.hockey.nhl.winnipeg-jets after each game. (This
contest uses the Pro Line Odds for its odds.) I will be posting the Pro Line
Odds before each game takes place on the newsgroup. You get to see how you
stack up against all the other players. This contest was run last year
(during the middle to end part of the season) by Jeff Norman (Super Bacon!).
He decided that he wasn't going to continue running this contest this year.
I didn't want to see it come to an end, so I took it over. Last year it had
quite a following. This year I hope to see even more people joining in.

This year, the contest will be 'somewhat' automated. I wrote a program to
automatically take your prediction from the subject line (to be discussed
later) and put it into the proper prediction input file. If no errors were
found, you will immediately receive a confirmation report saying that the
system has received and processed your prediction. If errors are found in
your subject line, a warning report will be sent and I will try to figure
out what your prediction was to be. With some instances, it may be easy to
figure out, ie. misspelled team name, but in others it may be impossible such
as missing a score for one team. If I cannot figure it out by hand and not
receive your prediction before the deadline, your prediction is ignored.

Here's the format. The first thing you have to do is to create a nickname for
yourself. This nickname must be any one-word name (no foul language please),
and cannot be more than 12 characters in length. Examples are: Power,
Rain_Man, Hockey_Fan, Blueliner, etc.

The subject line must be as follows:

Subject: JC: nickname: Team1 Score1 Team2 Score2
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You type what's underlined.

NB: JC stands for Jets Contest.

- All predictions must start with the 'JC:' identifier. This allows for my
program to pick up your prediction and process it automatically. Failure
to put this identifier in will result in ignoring your prediction for that
game. The case of the identifer doesn't matter. ie. (JC:, jc:, Jc:, jC:)
are all accepted.
- The nickname must be followed by a colon :)). Nicknames are case-sensitive!
If you enter your nickname incorrectly, the program assumes that you are a
new user. ie. If you are Blueliner and mistakenly type BlueLiner, these
are two separate players in the eyes of the program. The results are
non-reversable! Please double-check your nickname with each prediction.
- Nicknames cannot contain white-space. ie. you cannot have the nickname of
Blue Liner because it contains a space. Please use an underscore in place
of a space or tab.
- Scores are any positive integer value.
- The order of the scores doesn't matter.
- A list of accepted team names follow. Any name on the right indicates the
respective city on the left. Team names are case-insensitive. ie. Case
does not matter here. Jets = jets. See later for example subject lines.

City Accepted Team Names
------------------ ------------------------------------------------
Anaheim . . . . . . Anaheim, Ducks, Anaheim Mighty Ducks, Anaheim Ducks,
Mighty Ducks, Mighty Ducks of Anaheim
Boston . . . . . . . Boston, Bruins, Boston Bruins
Buffalo . . . . . . Buffalo, Sabres, Buffalo Sabres
Calgary . . . . . . Calgary, Flames, Calgary Flames
Chicago . . . . . . Chicago, Hawks, Chicago Blackhawks, Blackhawks
Dallas . . . . . . . Dallas, Stars, Lone Stars, Dallas Stars,
Dallas Lone Stars
Detroit . . . . . . Detroit, Wings, Detroit Red Wings, Red Wings
Edmonton . . . . . . Edmonton, Oilers, Edmonton Oilers
Florida . . . . . . Florida, Panthers, Florida Panthers
Hartford . . . . . . Hartford, Whalers, Hartford Whalers
Los Angeles . . . . Los Angeles, Kings, Los Angeles Kings
Montreal . . . . . . Montreal, Canadians, Canadiens, Montreal Canadians,
Montreal Canadiens, Habs, Montreal Habs
New Jersey . . . . . New Jersey, Devils, New Jersey Devils
New York Islanders . New York Islanders, Islanders
New York Rangers . . New York Rangers, Rangers
Ottawa . . . . . . . Ottawa, Senators, Ottawa Senators
Philadelphia . . . . Philadelphia, Flyers, Philadelphia Flyers, Philly,
Philly Flyers
Pittsburgh . . . . . Pittsburgh, Penguins, Pittsburgh Penguins
Quebec . . . . . . . Quebec, Nordiques, Nordique, Quebec Nordiques,
Quebec Nordique, Nords, Quebec Nords
San Jose . . . . . . San Jose, Sharks, San Jose Sharks
St. Louis . . . . . St. Louis, Saint Louis, Blues, St. Louis Blues,
Saint Louis Blues
Tampa Bay . . . . . Tampa Bay, Lightning, Tampa Bay Lightning
Toronto . . . . . . Toronto, Leafs, Maple Leafs, Toronto Maple Leafs,
Toronto Leafs
Vancouver . . . . . Vancouver, Canucks, Vancouver Canucks
Washington . . . . . Washington, Capitals, Washington Capitals, Caps,
Washington Caps
Winnipeg . . . . . . Winnipeg, Jets, Winnipeg Jets

Example Subject Lines:
----------------------
--> Subject: JC: BlueLiner: Vancouver Canucks 3 Winnipeg Jets 2
means that player BlueLiner predicts Vancouver to beat Winnipeg 3-2.

--> Subject: jc: poWer: Jets 3 Mighty Ducks 1
means that player poWer predicts The Jets to beat Anaheim 3-1.

--> Subject: Jc: Hockey_Fan: Rangers 2 Winnipeg 2
means that player Hockey_Fan predicts the New York Rangers to tie Winnipeg
2-2.

I'm sure you get the hang of it. Just remember, when your mailer asks
for the subject line, just type "jc: ...".

The contents of the message may or may not be left blank. The program does
not do anything with the contents of the message.

The deadlines for receiving your predictions is 4pm for evening games, and
one hour before the game for afternoon matches. This aspect of the system
will be done by hand, and therefore, you may get a confirmed message that
your prediction was processed, however, if I find that it was received after
the deadline, I will remove it and give you notice.

In the event that two players have simultaneously picked the same name, I
will try to catch it. I will then ask the person who picked it second to
change his/her nickname.

What I need yet is a schedule of all the Jets games. If you come across
such a list, please send it my way so I can give people notice as to when
the upcoming games are.

Prizes for this contest are non-existent. This contest is simply for the
fun of it (and bragging rights).

Please, only one nickname per person. Thanks.

If you have any questions, please email me.

There will be more announcements in the future (in newsgroup
alt.sports.hockey.nhl.winnipeg-jets) dealing with the format of the
statistics computed and any other rules that might pop up.

Later.

Last edited:

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
But...but...we had the Winnipeg Jets (1.0) prediction contest!

https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!searchin/alt.sports.hockey.nhl.winnipeg-jets/Prediction$20contest/alt.sports.hockey.nhl.winnipeg-jets/Qd3iwptmL54

If i recall, you had to email in your prediction, in perfect syntax/formatting for the program to pick it up.

hah, yes. It kinda blows my mind when I think about the fact that the internet was barely even a "thing" at the time Jets 1.0 came to an end. I got my first email addy in '95 I believe. There were lots of prognosticators at the time stating that the net was never goingto amount to much... :laugh:

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
I'm still young. When I order beer in the US, I have to show my ID most of the time.

I just say something in German then they step back, make a frightened but respectful face, lower their sight, take a bow and give me one more beer for free.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I just say something in German then they step back, make a frightened but respectful face, lower their sight, take a bow and give me one more beer for free.

I tried doing that in Swedish once, but they just laughed and asked whether I would consider doing another Muppets movie...

Roofgoat

Feb 5, 2015
Rural Missouri
Fellow fossils in da house :wally:

The run is fun this season.....honestly I want the playoffs pretty bad but the journey has been great.

This will be a really tough game. I would settle for any points but 2 clean would be huge.

It has been a great season. So many ups and downs. I can't believe the amount of time my 7 year old boy and I have invested watching this team. Its gotten tiring and a few times I've said "I'm done, sick of it".

I broke my strong addiction to the NFL, NBA, NCAA years ago. Clean break. I was free. Then like a fool I started watching hockey 2010 Olympics. Always hated the NHL. Used to almost get beat up going into bars in Chicago mid 80s and ask to put on an NBA Game. Drunk Hawk Fans would swarm us..."F'''''' Basketball the Hawks are on (Murray Bannerman era). This was before MJ got Chicago going.

Anyway getting hooked on the Jets return story and their play the last few seasons has been a ball of fun but taxing too.

Just Ducky

Jan 8, 2012

Damn- I gotta learn German:yo:

Got a real good feeling about this game this afternoon. Not sure why- maybe it is the trip back memory lane- thanks to previous posters who shared their memories. I grew up in the country - only 1 channel- CBC for the majority of it until CKY in the early 80's. Watching a Jets game on HNIC was rare but man it was so cool.

I am not a fan of Sunday matinee games but I do recall one very special one- involved a certain Finnish player and his quest for immortality.

Roofgoat

Feb 5, 2015
Rural Missouri

It is a whole 'nother world. Almost takes the mystery out of it. So much coverage. Kind of like rock music. Now you know every second of a band or performer's life. When I was a kid, Zep, Floyd, Sabbath, and the rest were all still bits and pieces of information. Some true, some lies, lots of myth.

Anyway, I hate anything California Hockey (mostly cause they are all good). Hope the boys come out of the gate hard and hurt the Kings quickly.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I'm still young. When I order beer in the US, I have to show my ID most of the time.

just curious, how old are you?

All the young folk in my family, my sons and nieces and nephews, are younger than 20. They just have no concept of a world without the net and really even without cell phones. It's funny, when I think back on my younger days in the late 70s and 80s I often forget that we didn't have that stuff. It's like the technology gets back-dated in my memory. But every once in a while something jogs my memory banks and I'll recall that "oh yeah, we used to have to pull over and get out of our cars and plug change into a phone if we wanted to call someone." It's was like the dark ages man!

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
just curious, how old are you?

All the young folk in my family, my sons and nieces and nephews, are younger than 20. They just have no concept of a world without the net and really even without cell phones. It's funny, when I think back on my younger days in the late 70s and 80s I often forget that we didn't have that stuff. It's like the technology gets back-dated in my memory. But every once in a while something jogs my memory banks and I'll recall that "oh yeah, we used to have to pull over and get out of our cars and plug change into a phone if we wanted to call someone." It's was like the dark ages man!

23. So I remember when you couldn't use your phones and be on the Internet at the same time, and I remember computer programs being installed with floppy disks. But some things that you old ones talk about are pretty foreign to me!:laugh:

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
@WpgJetsPR: #NHLJets re-assigned forward Carl Klingberg to St. John's IceCaps & activate Blake Wheeler from IR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig