Your top 7 for the 2024 draft

Darz

Sep 22, 2002
Where's the ANY key?
Visit site
Well since we know that the habs will pick no worse than 7th overall, it would be interesting to see who everyone has as there top 7 picks for the Montreal Canadiens. This would be the top 7 on Montreals list (or the top 7 you want the Habs to draft), not who you think will be the top 7 picks...ie I think there is a good chance Sam Dickinson will be on a lot of teams top 7 list, and a good chance he goes top 7, but I don't think he will be in Montreals top 7.

Here is my list:

1. M. Celebrini - could almost just ask for everyones pick 2-7, cause everyone's gonna have the same #1

2. C. Lindstrom - a little worried bout the injury question marks, but he seems to be the perfect type player for the Habs top 6

3. A. Levshunov - right D still worries me a little. This guy seems like a lock for a teams top 4. With Guhle, Reinbacher and Hutson I think that gives us an amazing top 4 going forward

4. I. Demidov - had a hard time figuring out where to put him (sometimes I have him at 2, sometimes as low as 6) Could see him fitting in with Newhook and Dach on an amazing 2nd line

5. T. Iginla - I just think this is exactly the type of player Hughes and Co. are looking to add to the team. Goalscorer, character, grit. If I had to put money on whom will be a hab after round 1 of the draft, right now, not knowing where we are going to pick, etc. I'd put my money on Iginla

6. Z. Parekh - see Levshunov at 3. Offensive numbers are crazy for a draft eligible D man.

7. B. Catton - I hate to say it but if he was 2 inches taller and 20 pounds heavier, he would probably be my number 2, and I don't always hold size that high. Would not be disappointed if he was the habs choice.

Look forward to reading others thoughts.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
I want a forward

Celebrini
Demon
Lindstrom (still nervous but I'll trust the team going over his medical reports)
Iggy
Catton
Eiserman
Helenius

Reactions: jfhabs and 26Mats

Canadiens98

Jan 29, 2021
I have watched a cumulative total of 0 junior/ncaa games.

So strictly going off the NHL's Draft Prospect Rankings, give me the top 7 skaters

Celebrini, Levshunov, Lindstrom, Buium, Parekh, Connelly, Dickinson.

Edit: Realized I was strictly looking at the top 7 NA skaters;

=> Celebrini, Levshunov, Lindstrom, Buium, Silayev, Demidov, Helenius

Last edited:
Reactions: cphabs

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
If current draft positions hold, I don’t think a F will be chosen in positions 2-4 and I expect one of those teams to select Buium

Habs will have Demidov available @ 5OA if so desired.

I wonder how low Eiserman will fall (out of top-10?) and if Habs might be able to offer up a package for that pick

Walking away from draft w Demidov & Eiserman would put Habs in solid position for years to come

Subban signed e5

Jun 21, 2012
I really want Lindstrom, i think he fits the player type that Gorton and Hughes like also.

1 Celebrini
2 Lindstrom
3 Demidov
4 Catton
5 Iginla
6 Levshunov (I rather trade the pick than use it on a dman)
7 Parekh

No, too small. Tired of small Habs teams. It would be him OR Caufield... and we already have Caufield.
I somewhat agree with you, but Catton isn't Caufield small either.

I would like to get bigger/tougher on the third and fourth lines, but i think Catton and Caufield are good enough that they can coexist together.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Well since we know that the habs will pick no worse than 7th overall, it would be interesting to see who everyone has as there top 7 picks for the Montreal Canadiens. This would be the top 7 on Montreals list (or the top 7 you want the Habs to draft), not who you think will be the top 7 picks...ie I think there is a good chance Sam Dickinson will be on a lot of teams top 7 list, and a good chance he goes top 7, but I don't think he will be in Montreals top 7.

Here is my list:

1. M. Celebrini - could almost just ask for everyones pick 2-7, cause everyone's gonna have the same #1

2. C. Lindstrom - a little worried bout the injury question marks, but he seems to be the perfect type player for the Habs top 6

3. A. Levshunov - right D still worries me a little. This guy seems like a lock for a teams top 4. With Guhle, Reinbacher and Hutson I think that gives us an amazing top 4 going forward

4. I. Demidov - had a hard time figuring out where to put him (sometimes I have him at 2, sometimes as low as 6) Could see him fitting in with Newhook and Dach on an amazing 2nd line

5. T. Iginla - I just think this is exactly the type of player Hughes and Co. are looking to add to the team. Goalscorer, character, grit. If I had to put money on whom will be a hab after round 1 of the draft, right now, not knowing where we are going to pick, etc. I'd put my money on Iginla

6. Z. Parekh - see Levshunov at 3. Offensive numbers are crazy for a draft eligible D man.

7. B. Catton - I hate to say it but if he was 2 inches taller and 20 pounds heavier, he would probably be my number 2, and I don't always hold size that high. Would not be disappointed if he was the habs choice.

Look forward to reading others thoughts.

The top 4 is set on D for a good 5 years, as is the bottom pair:

Matheson - Guhle
Hutson - Reinbacher
Xhekaj - Mailloux
Kovacevic/Barron/Struble/Harris

So do we want to pass up on all the forwards for a piece we may or may not need in 5 years? Well if Parekh is in the Hutson/Hughes/Fox/Makar mold you absolutely have to consider it.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
1. Celebrini (My NHL comparable: Steven Stamkos)
2. Demidov (My NHL comparable: Artemi Panarin)
3. Dickinson (My NHL comparable: Noah Dobson)
4. Buium (My NHL comparable: Zach Werenski)
5. Catton (My NHL comparable: Brayden Point)
6. Connelly** (My NHL comparable: Kyle Connor) /Lindstrom* (My NHL comparable: Dylan Cozens)
7. Iginla (My NHL comparable: Zach Hyman)

Lindstrom *if he his cleared by my medical staff he would be 6th otherwise ND.

Connelly** if he is cleared by a psychologist otherwise ND

Last edited:

Darz

Sep 22, 2002
Where's the ANY key?
Visit site
The top 4 is set on D for a good 5 years, as is the bottom pair:

Matheson - Guhle
Hutson - Reinbacher
Xhekaj - Mailloux
Kovacevic/Barron/Struble/Harris

So do we want to pass up on all the forwards for a piece we may or may not need in 5 years? Well if Parekh is in the Hutson/Hughes/Fox/Makar mold you absolutely have to consider it.

Don't disagree that that isnt a bad top six but I'm still not 100% sold on that right side. Guhle on his weak side, Reinbacher still only has a handful of NA ice games under his belt (although I am convinced he will be an NHL defenseman in the near future), and Mailloux has 1 game of NHL experience (although I do like what I see so far)

If Matheson was to be traded out in the next year or two, and the habs were to draft Levshunov, I could see a top six of:
Guhle - Levshunov
Hutson - Reinbacher
Xhekaj - Mailloux
in a couple years...that looks sooo good.

With all that said, I am definitely still leaning draft best forward

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
BPA always. Equal talent or potential impact, you take a forward. but you dont pick a lesser prospect because of position.

Don't disagree that that isnt a bad top six but I'm still not 100% sold on that right side. Guhle on his weak side, Reinbacher still only has a handful of NA ice games under his belt (although I am convinced he will be an NHL defenseman in the near future), and Mailloux has 1 game of NHL experience (although I do like what I see so far)

If Matheson was to be traded out in the next year or two, and the habs were to draft Levshunov, I could see a top six of:
Guhle - Levshunov
Hutson - Reinbacher
Xhekaj - Mailloux
in a couple years...that looks sooo good.

With all that said, I am definitely still leaning draft best forward

Hughes already said in the end of season presser that the dman would have to be much better than the forwards for us to draft him.

But I can't recall a single draft where I've looked back and said, man that team really did well by drafting the lesser player because of positional need, and passing on the better player who plays a different position.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
1. Celebrini
2. Demidov
3. Dickinson
4. Buuim
5. Catton
6. Connelly**/Lindstrom*
7. Iginla

Lindstrom *if he his cleared by my medical staff he would be 6th otherwise ND.

Connelly** if he is cleared by a psychologist otherwise ND
This provides a good prediction of what, subject to trades, will occur at the draft.

Each player, other than Celebrini, comes with their respective warts and concerns:

Demidov: the Russian factor and the level of competition he faced this year will be a concern to many teams;

Dickinson: high floor, but a lack of elite skating may restrict him to only a top 4 defenceman in the NHL. Do you want to expend a top 5 pick on the next Chariot?

Buuim: best skating defenceman in the draft, but is vulnerable in the defensive zone at times;

Lindstrom: His combination of size , skill and skating is probably unmatched in this draft. But what good is that potential if his availability is questionable due to his history of injuries.

Catton: How well does this highly talented, but smallish player's talents and game translate to the NHL game? Are you drafting the next Brayden Point or the next Sean Farrell?

Iginla: One of the youngest players available in the draft, teams have to question is this highly competitive player a one year wonder in the WHL?

I think it will come down to the Canadiens having to choose one of Lindstrom, Catton or Iginla. I know who I would choose.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Celebrini
Demidov
Catton
Lindstrom (clean bill of health would see him move to #3)
Levshunov
Iginla
Helenius

Catton over iginla - he led his team, wasn’t 2nd fiddle. Did so playing center (Dach health). I’d be excited about the top 4.

• Love
Reactions: Rozz and dcyhabs

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Hughes already said in the end of season presser that the dman would have to be much better than the forwards for us to draft him.

But I can't recall a single draft where I've looked back and said, man that team really did well by drafting the lesser player because of positional need, and passing on the better player who plays a different position.
Indeed, and that approach seems to be endorsed by most Hab fans (at least based on the comments I'm reading on these boards). Assuming we stay at 5 and Demidov is taken top 4, it is very likely the BPA at #5 is a defenseman. Will we really take a Catton/Iginla at 5 over the likes of Levshunov/Buium/Yakemchuk/Parekh/Dickinson?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Indeed, and that approach seems to be endorsed by most Hab fans (at least based on the comments I'm reading on these boards). Assuming we stay at 5 and Demidov is taken top 4, it is very likely the BPA at #5 is a defenseman. Will we really take a Catton/Iginla at 5 over the likes of Levshunov/Buium/Yakemchuk/Parekh/Dickinson?
Is Lindstrom also gone at 5?

And we'll see where our actual draft position is. last year we got lucky to stay at 5. There is a higher probability will be at 6 or 7 than top 5. So we'll see...

And I still think Eiserman could be in the conversation with Iginla and Catton.

Reactions: themilosh

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad