Rumor: 2024 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Thread: Post Deadline

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Rantanen + Girard = $14.25m
Tkachuk + Chychrun = $12.8m

Savings of less than $1.5m would not be the point of a Rantanen trade. Nevermind that Chychrun is a UFA in 1 year and we'd lose him then anyhow.

If you *have* to move him, it's for 2/3 guys on ELCs ready to contribute. No big salaries coming back.

The entire point of moving Mikko would be so we could afford Landeskog's return, Toews' raise, extension to Mittelstadt, keeping Drouin/Walker/Trenin/whoever, etc.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas

Savings of less than $1.5m would not be the point of a Rantanen trade. Nevermind that Chychrun is a UFA in 1 year and we'd lose him then anyhow.

If you *have* to move him, it's for 2/3 guys on ELCs ready to contribute. No big salaries coming back.

The entire point of moving Mikko would be so we could afford Landeskog's return, Toews' raise, extension to Mittelstadt, keeping Drouin/Walker/Trenin/whoever, etc.
I am not going to say that the shine on Walker has worn off for me, because it hasn't (necessarily speaking), but I am at a point where I now don't think CMac will do what he can to keep him. I believe (for better or worse) he'll roll w/ Manson again (I pinpoint Manson because I just believe he'd be the one they'd move to keep Walker).

Of the newbies, I'd like to keep Duhaime and, if possible, Trenin (don't think it's doable but maybe...) for that bottom 6.

To your point, I really don't know how we afford keeping Drouin w/ Lando coming back and the Toews extension kicking in, unless there's a trade of someone like Lehky (his $ at minimum) or Mikko. Both would generate a very nice return imo, but obviously Mikko should return a much higher return of probably 2 younger players either on ELC's or, at the very least, cheap deals, to go along with some very nice draft capital.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I am not going to say that the shine on Walker has worn off for me, because it hasn't (necessarily speaking), but I am at a point where I now don't think CMac will do what he can to keep him. I believe (for better or worse) he'll roll w/ Manson again (I pinpoint Manson because I just believe he'd be the one they'd move to keep Walker).

Of the newbies, I'd like to keep Duhaime and, if possible, Trenin (don't think it's doable but maybe...) for that bottom 6.

To your point, I really don't know how we afford keeping Drouin w/ Lando coming back and the Toews extension kicking in, unless there's a trade of someone like Lehky (his $ at minimum) or Mikko. Both would generate a very nice return imo, but obviously Mikko should return a much higher return of probably 2 younger players either on ELC's or, at the very least, cheap deals, to go along with some very nice draft capital.
There is zero chance lehkonen or mikko gets moved for drouin. All we can hope for is that landy recovers to a point where he replaces drouin's production.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
There is zero chance lehkonen or mikko gets moved for drouin. All we can hope for is that landy recovers to a point where he replaces drouin's production.
It's not a straight line of "Move Mikko or Lehky for Drouin".

The bigger picture is looking at the overall depth of the roster and how puzzle pieces fit together.

Again, let's hypothetically say they decide to move Mikko, what does his 9.6M AAV open up for you?

Well, on the NHL roster, it allows you to keep Drouin for starters. But it also means you don't have to move out a Lehkonen piece, and you get re-allocate that money down the lineup for better depth pieces. Those pieces would either be NHL-ready ELC's, or young players who seem primed for a breakout on cheap deals (but realistically speaking you're likely talking about young ELC candidates).

Additionally you should be able to get back, at least, a 1st & a 2nd round draft pick (the draft year probably not being the same, like hypothetically a 2024 1st and a 2025 2nd).

So it's a bigger picture than just "let's trade one of these guys to keep Drouin". It's more about "we can trade a Mikko Rantanen and re-allocate his cap hit up and down the lineup to be more balanced; plus we get a nice pile of futures to help keep our window going".

And let me be clear--I am not straight up advocating for them trading Mikko, or even Lehkonen. I am simply stating that it wouldn't be something I'd 100% take off the table in order for them to continue having the depth that a team needs to go deep in the Playoffs.

I know we talk a lot about our elite players: MacKinnon, Makar, and Rantanen. And yes, they are all definitely elite. But this team's window lives & dies with MacKinnon and Makar. Rantanen is an exceptionally elite player, no doubt, but we've witnessed his deficiency--he is lazy at times. That's not saying he's a bad player, because even when he's lazy he can still produce, but hell...we saw it this series that we just utterly dominated: when he's lazy and not moving his feet, he is very easy to play against, and prone to some boneheaded mistakes.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

The big advantage to keeping Manson over Walker is there is a clear sunset on the horizon for the deal. Walker you likely have to sign for 5-6 years and that can be an eternity. Manson you know it is over in 2. Maybe you even reach on a RD in this first this year with the idea they replace Manson.

I wouldn't keep any of the bottom 6 guys. They'll be more expensive than they are worth and likely have term. Just rinse and repeat the spending of mid round picks to solve the issue. Really we are just talking about 2 4th liners. Wood, Colton, LOC and Kovy will comprise 4/6. Then give a kid a look at one spot and then get a random 1m vet. When the deadline rolls around, you decide that you really don't want to pick in the 3rd round in 2027 and send that for some 4th liner.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Pre cap era. All of those trades mentioned.

And Sundin never scored 50

I’ve already shown you that we can keep ALL our depth with Rantanen.
You are right, he never did. He scored 47 but that year he had 114 pts and you did say to show you guys with 50/100. I guess that is not close enough for you.

With the bad math...............on many occasions.

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
For all his warts, no one brings what Manson does for Colorado, either up front or especially on the back end. He's the physical pulse of the team. He can be f***ing wild sometimes, and with that comes good and bad, but he's tough to replace on this team I think.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
For all his warts, no one brings what Manson does for Colorado, either up front or especially on the back end. He's the physical pulse of the team. He can be f***ing wild sometimes, and with that comes good and bad, but he's tough to replace on this team I think.
And he ups his play in the postseason.

We can bitch and moan about guys who tend to have sucky periods over the 82 game season. But it’s invaluable to have guys who then step up in the playoffs.

The Avs have multiple regular season horses to get to the finish line. I’m more than fine with a handful of crappy regular season guys who up their performance and compete in the playoffs.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Nichushkin - $6,125,000
Mackinnnon - $12,600,000
Rantanen - $9,250,000

Lehkonen - $4,500,000
Mittlestadt - $6,000,000
Drouin - $3,500,000

Wood - $2,500,000
Colton - $4,000,000
O’Connor - $1,050,000

Kovalenko - $896,250
Wagner - $775,000
Duhaime - $2,000,000
Vet - $895,000

Makar - $9,000,000
Toews - $7,250,000

Girard - $5,000,000
Manson - $4,500,000

Behrens - $905,833
Malinski - $850,000
Vet - $895,000

Georgiev - $3,400,000
Annunen - $837,500

2024/25 salary cap - $87,700,000
Total contracts- $73,439,583
Cap space - $14,260,417

Landeskog - LTIR or retire
Parise - Retire
Cogliano - Retire

Lose:
Walker
Trenin

Resign:
Mitts - 8 x 6m
Drouin - 3 x 3.5m
Duhaime - 3 x 2m
2 x reserves @ 895k = 1.790

$970,461 in cap space
Yes, this is valid. IF Landeskog isn't counted.

However, Landeskog is currently under contract.

Now, please do the exercise with Landeskog included. This is where it gets messy.

Reactions: Sudden Nordique

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
And he ups his play in the postseason.

We can bitch and moan about guys who tend to have sucky periods over the 82 game season. But it’s invaluable to have guys who then step up in the playoffs.

The Avs have multiple regular season horses to get to the finish line. I’m more than fine with a handful of crappy regular season guys who up their performance and compete in the playoffs.
He even got 2 empty net goals last night!

• Haha
Reactions: Chiarelli

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
If you could get the curly haired freak and Chychrun for Rants, I think you have to do it. There's a downgrade in offense to Brady, but he's a 95 point player next to MacK, at least... and he's physical as hell while being 4-5m cheaper long-term. Chychrun for all of his faults is a legit top pairing D. If he was a right shot, he'd be a no brainer to have long-term. For next year, he'd be more than good enough to keep the defense good and can play the right side.

I don't see why Ottawa would do this though.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
And for the price, he is decent add

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
If you could get the curly haired freak and Chychrun for Rants, I think you have to do it. There's a downgrade in offense to Brady, but he's a 95 point player next to MacK, at least... and he's physical as hell while being 4-5m cheaper long-term. Chychrun for all of his faults is a legit top pairing D. If he was a right shot, he'd be a no brainer to have long-term. For next year, he'd be more than good enough to keep the defense good and can play the right side.

I don't see why Ottawa would do this though.
Oh geez if they offered up THAT then sure, but that’d be an insane price to pay.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Manson was by my eye test our worst D relative to expectations against WPG.
Don't really care that he's tall, hits, and scored a goal. The giveaways were atrocious.

Reactions: Pokecheque

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Don't really care that he's tall, hits, and scored a goal. The giveaways were atrocious.
Agreed... he was really bad. His play improved once G got in the lineup, but last night he still did what he could to keep the Jets in it. Avs will need his play to turn around as they move forward.

Reactions: Pokecheque

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
Yea Manson was weird. He had at least two f***ups on that own-goal to kick things off, and numerous other poor decisions, but he also had some great moments, and some good rushes up the ice.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004

I thought he was okay except for the one own goal. It doesnt make sense to discount his assists and goal.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
The issue with Manson is he became a very high-event dman under Bednar and he should be the opposite.

Sometimes it's really really good and other times really really bad.
Yeah you see flashes of his former self, but it just isn’t there frequently.

kl35ha

Oct 19, 2017
I see people wanting to trade Lehky or Manson frequently in this thread…you don’t trade players bring have an extra gear when playoffs time come. I understand the complains about Manson but you just have to live with it in my opinion. Also of all the acquisitions at the TDL, Trenin should also be one of the player the Avs should try to resign.

I don’t have anything against G but if the Avs were trying to move anyone to free up cap is him for me.

Reactions: Frenchy

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV

Plus the additional picks/prospects coming along with it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad