Your team's worst moment

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
There was a thread some time ago about teams' greatest moments, and I thought I'd take it in the opposite direction. What moments in your team's history was the toughest for you to swallow?

Although there have been many disappointments in Sens' playoff history since this, the toughest one for me was in '97 when the lost in OT in game 7 in the first round against Buffalo. On a faceoff in his own zone in the final minutes of regulation, Alexei Yashin won the draw right into his own net to tie the game for Buffalo. Then in OT Derek Plante went and did this

soundtigersfan

Feb 28, 2007
CT
Relocating to Raleigh. It may end up being better for the league in the long run, but I'll never have the same passion for any other team like I did for the Whalers.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
bertuzzi-hits-moore.jpg

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Personally, I think having Messier, Keenan and Noonan infiltrate the city was worse. The franchise sold out the fans and their captain.

My all time lowest/most shameful moment as a Canuck fan was an 8-1 loss to New Jersey in the 1997-98 season. The game was 8-0 until late in the 3rd when Messier set up Bure, and both guys celebrated like they'd just won the Cup. It was just embarassing. Made me want to puke.

Most devastating moments were the losses in the 1993 and 1994 playoffs, and the choke in Game 7 vs. Minnesota in 2003.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
For the Canucks:
-Losing the 1994 Finals
-Dan Cloutier choking game 5, 6 and 7 against Minnesota
-Bertuzzi's 2004 season
-The dark years between 1997 til 2000

For the Jets:
-Leaving the city of Winnipeg when no one wanted to buy the franchise, no one from the city wanted to buy them...idiots.
-Blowing a 3-1 series lead against Edmonton in 1990, to see them win the Stanley Cup
-When city council decided not to build a new arena
-Trading Selanne away since the team was moving next year, but management decided to trade its start player away...nice one.

greatgazoo

Jan 26, 2008
Cobourg
As an Oilers fan it was the '86 loss to Calgary. It wasn't so much Smith's mistake goal on his own net but the embarrassing way they were out muscled and out hustled by the Flames in that seven game series. To this day, I still cannot watch the low-lites of that series and will always turn my eyes away from seeing Smith score on Fuhr.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Devils - missing the playoffs on the last game of the regular season in 1996, just one year after winning the Stanley Cup.

I suppose the lowest moment was being called a Mickey Mouse franchise by Gretzky in the late 80s, but well, we were used to it then.

lextune

I'm too old for this.
Jun 9, 2008
New Hampshire
The Bruins have more than their share, but one that sticks out for me personally is Glen Wesley missing the entire empty net, in overtime, in the 1990 Stanley Cup finals.

Ogopogo*

Two moments really stand out in Oiler history:

1. August 9, 1988 - The Gretzky Sale
2. Game 7, 1986 Playoffs vs. Calgary - Steve Smith scores into his own net to cost the Oilers the series

Those are the two most painful moments in Oiler history.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
For the Senators getting swept by Buffalo in the 1999 playoffs and by Toronto in the 2001 playoffs.

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
Historically it's the '55 offseason.

But since I wasn't around back then I'll say the '07 playoff series vs the Ducks.

Germz

4th liners ftw
Aug 14, 2008
Toronto, ON
For Ottawa, I've got to disagree with the other two posters. Those early playoff losses didn't hurt so much because my expectations weren't as high, I guess. In 1997 in particular, I was just so thrilled to see the Senators make the playoffs for once. Here's my list.

1. Game 7 against Leafs in 2004.
2. Game 7 against Devils in 2003.
3. Game 5 (edit) against Ducks in 2007.

Losing to the Maple Leafs for the 4th time in a row in 2004 was absolutely the very worst. Expectations were high after we nearly made the Finals in 03. It was only the first round and Sens were down 3-2. Alfredsson guaranteed a victory after game 5, and hopes were high after the Sens delivered a double-OT character victory to even the series in game 6 . In game 7, Patrick Lalime played the worst game of his life and the Senators collapsed yet again. Still hurts to think about it. Toronto was worn out from the 7-game series and fell to Philadelphia in round 2. They have not made the playoffs since.

That 2003 ECF loss to New Jersey, though, also a game 7, will always stand as the Cup Ottawa could have had, even more so than the 07 Cup. The Ducks of 03, who New Jersey went on to face, were not as strong as the Ducks of 07. Ottawa didn't stand a chance in 07. But in 03, had we won that game 7 against Jersey, that 3rd Devils Cup could've been ours.

Phillips scoring an own goal on Emery in that awful 2007 SCF game 5 (EDIT) would have to be third. I couldn't even watch the rest of that game. Watching Alfredsson play his heart out while the rest of the team crumbled under him is one of the saddest things I've ever seen.

When your team is a perennial playoff disappointment, there will never be a shortage of awful moments.

Last edited:

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Game 6 against the Oilers in 06 was the worst for me. I haven't been alive long enough to know the bitter yester years of Detroit's sturggles.

robdicks

Aug 10, 2008
Welland ON
For Ottawa, I've got to disagree with the other two posters. Those early playoff losses didn't hurt so much because my expectations weren't as high, I guess. In 1997 in particular, I was just so thrilled to see the Senators make the playoffs for once. Here's my list.

1. Game 7 against Leafs in 2004.
2. Game 7 against Devils in 2003.
3. Game 6 against Ducks in 2007.

Losing to the Maple Leafs for the 4th time in a row in 2004 was absolutely the very worst. Expectations were high after we nearly made the Finals in 03. It was only the first round and Sens were down 3-2. Alfredsson guaranteed a victory after game 5, and hopes were high after the Sens delivered a double-OT character victory to even the series in game 6 . In game 7, Patrick Lalime played the worst game of his life and the Senators collapsed yet again. Still hurts to think about it. Toronto was worn out from the 7-game series and fell to Philadelphia in round 2. They have not made the playoffs since.

That 2003 ECF loss to New Jersey, though, also a game 7, will always stand as the Cup Ottawa could have had, even more so than the 07 Cup. The Ducks of 03, who New Jersey went on to face, were not as strong as the Ducks of 07. Ottawa didn't stand a chance in 07. But in 03, had we won that game 7 against Jersey, that 3rd Devils Cup could've been ours.

Phillips scoring an own goal on Emery in that awful 2007 SCF game 6 would have to be third. I couldn't even watch the rest of that game. Watching Alfredsson play his heart out while the rest of the team crumbled under him is one of the saddest things I've ever seen.

When your team is a perennial playoff disappointment, there will never be a shortage of awful moments.

and of course you cant forget when my leafs squeaked into the eigth spot and were hyped to be destroyed and swept by ottawa 4-0.... i however didnt see that as the case that year.... and we came out and took it to you and ended up sweeping the ottawa senators.... GO LEAFS GO! GO LEAFS GO!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad