Your team's recent draft bust

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
Number 19 said:
Nords/Avs: Wade Belak, Peter Ratchuk, Kevin Grimes, Mikhail Kuleshov, Yuri Babenko, Graham Belak, Martin Grenier, Vaclav Nedorost...The Avs really don't know what to do with 1st round picks. :banghead:

One year they picked well with Tangauy, Regehr and Skoula.

Hyped

Feb 27, 2002
Tombstone
Visit site
kmad said:
I think Burkie picked Smith because he exploded in production in the Q the year before the draft (90 pts as an 18 year old). Anyways, I'd say RJ Umberger was a bust as well. When it all comes down to it, it's a wasted draft pick.

Nathan Smith played with a good Broncos team in the WHL (not the Q), but he was still a bad pick-up. I remember being at that draft in Calgary. When Vancouver got up to the microphone and started saying, "From the WHL's...", I thought for sure it was gonna be Jarret Stoll as he was easily the best player in the WHL for the draft that year (Scott Hartnell aside). When they said Nathan Smith, I laughed out loud and sot some angry looks. Of course the looks weren't as bad as when I laughed at the Oilers' pick of Mikhnov. Unfortunately, he was sitting in the seat and row just one below me...

Skroob*

Levitate said:
From where he was picked, Malhotra was a wasted pick. 7th overall? There were some good players picked after him that have much higher upside even. Though I think things would have worked out fine for the rangers with that trade if the lyashenko thing didn't happen the way it did. I liked Lyashenko, felt he was more versitile than malhotra.

I guess you could consider blackburn a bust since it's highly unlikely he'll ever play in the NHL again with his injury and all.

Thanks for the backup on Manny.

As for Blackburn, i left him off as i think of a "Bust" as something that was a result of something controlable [such as work ethic (Daige), atmosphere he was developing in (as in what Prucha is going thru), etc.].

If you want to include Blackburn, then you also have to include Stefan Cherneski

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
How much time you got?

For the Caps:

Reggie Savage in 1988, then we move on to Trevor Halverson, Nolan Baumgartner, Alex Kharlamov, Brad Church (taken one spot before Petr Sykora), Mikka Elomo, Alex "I don't care" Volchkov, Yogi Svejkovsky (good player, not sure what happened), Kris Beech hasn't done much.

That's 9 whiffs on 1st round picks since 1988. And I can't remember who they took in 89' and 90'. Also, the Caps selected Nick Boynton in 1997 only to see him re-enter the 1999 draft to be taken by the B's.

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
Devils: Adrian Foster won't play more than a dozen games in the Devils in his career with his continuing myriad of injuries. Some say it was worth the gamble, but it will end up as a failed pick.

Along the lines of Umberger in Vancouver, Mike Van Ryn was a wasted pick by the Devils since he burned them by signing with St. Louis. J-F Damphousse was mentioned, and I'll throw in Lance Ward (10th in '96), who re-entered the draft and hasn't made an impact with either of his two subsequent teams.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Patrick - Flames Fan said:
One year they picked well with Tangauy, Regehr and Skoula.

THat was '98, pretty much the only year they really did anything with their first rounder. Since then, two years (including the very deep 2003 draft) they have had no first rounders, of the years they have had first rounders only one is still with the team (Tanguay), Regehr is with the Flames and Skoula's...puck poising some where. If they drafted in the first round as well as they do later on there'd be no questions about their prospect depth now a days.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I never knew Martin Grenier was a 2nd round pick...what's his back story? was he thought to have enough talent to be pretty good along with that size?

he seems to lack the mobility to be a quality NHL player

gabpas

Jan 25, 2003
Aylmer
Visit site
For Montreal, Lindsay Vallis, Brent Bilodeau, Turner Stevenson, David Wilkie, Terry Ryan and Matt Higgins. They are one of the major reasons the Habs went downhill after the 93 Cup. None of these guys panned out to what they were supposed to be as they were complete busts for 1st round picks.

SedinFan*

Levitate said:
I never knew Martin Grenier was a 2nd round pick...what's his back story? was he thought to have enough talent to be pretty good along with that size?

he seems to lack the mobility to be a quality NHL player

He's always been able to drop the gloves. His mobility, from what I saw when he was with Vancouver/Manitoba, is that he has no mobility at all. It's quite pathetic really.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Number 19 said:
THat was '98, pretty much the only year they really did anything with their first rounder. Since then, two years (including the very deep 2003 draft) they have had no first rounders, of the years they have had first rounders only one is still with the team (Tanguay), Regehr is with the Flames and Skoula's...puck poising some where. If they drafted in the first round as well as they do later on there'd be no questions about their prospect depth now a days.
The Firsts since the move

1995 Marc Denis 25th
1996 Peter Ratchuk 25th
1997 Kevin Grimes 26th
1998 Alex Tanguay 12th
Martin Skoula 17th
Robin Regher 19th
Scott Parker 20th
1999 Mikhail Kuleshov 25th
2000 Vaclav Nederost 14th
2001 No Pick (Rob Blake trade LA selceted David Steckel)
2002 Jonas Johanson 28th
2003 No Pick (Blake trade)
2004 Wojtek Wolski 21st

The only ones I can really get upset about are Nederost and Parker. The duds like Rat and Grimes were at the tail end of the first round. The jury is still out on JJ and WW.

SedinFan*

kmad said:
I think Burkie picked Smith because he exploded in production in the Q the year before the draft (90 pts as an 18 year old). Anyways, I'd say RJ Umberger was a bust as well. When it all comes down to it, it's a wasted draft pick.

He played in the WHL for Swift Current, not in the Q as you mentioned.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Zack Attack said:
He's always been able to drop the gloves. His mobility, from what I saw when he was with Vancouver/Manitoba, is that he has no mobility at all. It's quite pathetic really.
Also part of the Bourque Deal. :lol

Defence first

Adrian foster needs at least one more season to prove that he is not a bust. if the one season and no production comes then he might be a bust. Albany is not a very good team maybe if they had better supporting cast members most of the prospects on that team might be better. Foster is not the only one struggling. they have some good prospects. Just a matter of time before something good happens to them.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Habsfan 32 said:
Can someone explain me why Scott Parker was chosen in the 1st round in 1998?

Colorado already had picked 3 good young players in the first round and they were ready to use the fourth pick to fill a very specific need (toughness).

He was the undisputed heavy weight champion of the WHL and he had decent stats (30 goal season).

He was 20 at the the time and the AVS wanted a player who could step right in and fill a role.

side note:

Amazing how many 1st and 2nd round picks Colorado had that year:

1st-Tanguay 12th
1st-Skoula 17
1st-Regehr 19
1st-Parker 20

2nd-Abid 28
2nd-Sauve 38
2nd-Moore 53

leafaholix*

The last bust or bad pick for the Leafs was in 1999, Luca Cereda.

Other than that we've done well in the first round with Nik Antropov, Alexander Steen, Carlo Colaiacovo, and Brad Boyes. Though, if it were possible, I would prefer the Leafs had picked Niklas Kronwall instead of Boyes.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Habsfan 32 said:
Can someone explain me why Scott Parker was chosen in the 1st round in 1998?
After McCarty punched Lemeiux there was a school of thought that wouldn't have happened if Cris Simon were still around. Subsequently there was alot of pressure on the Avs to get a top line enforcer. Parker was supposed to be a goon who could play.

So instead of Scott Gomez, Simon Gagne or Jiri Ficher...

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
McDonald19 said:
Colorado already had picked 3 good young players in the first round and they were ready to use the fourth pick to fill a very specific need (toughness).

He was the undisputed heavy weight champion of the WHL and he had decent stats (30 goal season).

He was 20 at the the time and the AVS wanted a player who could step right in and fill a role.

side note:

Amazing how many 1st and 2nd round picks Colorado had that year:

1st-Tanguay 12th
1st-Skoula 17
1st-Regehr 19
1st-Parker 20

2nd-Abid 28
2nd-Sauve 38
2nd-Moore 53
Lacroix stocked up trying to get Lacavalier while he had to cut some costs (still in McNichols). Unfortunately all four of what were lottery teams the year before turned around and made the playoffs. Still not a bad haul.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad