Your team's recent draft bust

Status
Not open for further replies.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
kmad said:
I think Burkie picked Smith because he exploded in production in the Q the year before the draft (90 pts as an 18 year old). Anyways, I'd say RJ Umberger was a bust as well. When it all comes down to it, it's a wasted draft pick.
he did that in swift current ;)...

i vividly remember as i enjoyed watching that team for nathan smith, as well as tim smith once he was traded from spokane to the broncos...

i loved that bronco team, they also had ondrus, ulmer, milroy, ian white, and good old matt summerfield...

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Edmonton Oilers

1st round 4th overall Jason Bonsignore
The big and extremely talented trouble child. Had a ton of skill but no heart. Loads of problems in junior didnt scare Edmonton away as they drafted this player 4th overall. Jeff O'Neill,Jeff Friesen and Mattias Ohlund were but a few of the solid players they passed over. Thank god they Drafted Smyth with the Sixth pick!

1st round 5th overall Steve Kelly
A big Forward that was incredibly fast put up great numbers in Junior Steve Kelly looked like a fantastic pick. But alas he never panned out and couldnt put up the numbers in the NHL. Consdering what a good draft and the players Edmonton passed over, Jarome Iginla,Shane Doan,Petr Sykora,Kyle Mclaren etc..., Obiviously will go down as the second worst pick of the 90s for the oilers.

1st round 13th overall Michael Heinreich

Fast skating scoring winger in Junior and just the sort of player that Edmonton loves to draft. Played the last 4 years in the minors and has yet to reach his numbers he had in junior. Looks to be a marginal prospect and only a 2nd line ahl player. Considering they passed on Robyn Regehr,Matin Skoula,Simon Gagne and Scott Gomez. Hell even Scott Parker would have been better!

1st round 13th overall Jani Rita

Big good skating Finnish winger. Had a dominating world Junior and everyone was really excited about his pro prospects. Had some decent seasons in the AHL but could just never shine enough when he was up with Edmonton. Gone back to Finland to see if he rediscover his game. Lots of good Dmen Edmonton passed up on Jeff Jillson,Dave Tanabe,Nick Boynton,Steve Mcarthy as well as Forward Martin Havlat and Goalie Maxime Ouellet.

and For you Winnipeg Jet Fans

1st round 19th Overall Jimmy Mann
Big,tough and could score! He was John Fergusons Wet dream. To bad he couldnt score and got beat up all the time. And just think they passed on Michael Goulet and Kevin Lowe.

1st round 17th overall Sergei Bautin
Mike Smith loved Russians. He loved them so much he drafted a Big Burly Russian Defenceman no one heard of. In fact when the Jets made there announcement the TSN crew thought they made a mistake in the name and were actually calling for Sergei Brylin. Bautin was a waste of a pick he floundered for a season or two and probalbly could have been pick in the last round of the draft. The Jets wanted a big tough Dman and got Bautin instead consdering Jason Smith was selected next you have to wonder what the hell was Smith Thinking?

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
nomorekids said:
I'm not sure if it's possible to be a "bust" in the ninth round. Most of those picks are reaches anyway, just taking any scraps that are left...though every once in a while you find a gem (Nabokov, Vokoun, Sullivan, Johnsson)

That's why i said not much was expected anyway...but as i said, I dount he'll ever leave the eCHL, if he ever plays pro hockey.....he just doesn't make smart decsions on the ice

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
417 TO MTL said:
Nothing against Chistov, but if that draft is done over again, an argument can be made to take Perezhogin over Chistov IMO, I like Chistov alot though

way too early to say.

Chistov has played 135 NHL games, Perezhogin has played Zero NHL games.

I know that doesn't answer the question as to who is the better player...but...

I think if we asked the other 28 GMS which player they would like to have they would say Chistov...but who knows what will happen in the next few years.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
McDonald19 said:
way too early to say.

Chistov has played 135 NHL games, Perezhogin has played Zero NHL games.

I know that doesn't answer the question as to who is the better player...but...

I think if we asked the other 28 GMS which player they would like to have they would say Chistov...but who knows what will happen in the next few years.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you, just saying that an argument could be made, but I like Chistov alot though, just think that Perezhogin's development has been on the rise since he was drafted, had there been NHL this season, he would of played in the NHL...

Sykie

Feb 28, 2002
Geneva
snhl.free.fr
Nobody made the New Jersey Devils. So here it is.

First round (18) : Jason Smith - GOOD
A soldier, a great defensive player.

Second round (42) : Sergeï Brylin - GOOD
A solider. Not a star but a very important player for years.

First round (13) : Denis Pederson - BAD
He had a career, but a guy like Deadmarsh was taken just after Pederson...

Second round (32) : Jay Pandolfo - GOOD
Vyborny, Langenbrunner or Niinimaa was taken just after so it makes the pick looks bad but Pandolfo still managed to become a very good defensive player for the Devils.

Second round (39) : Brendan Morrison - GOOD
A very good playmaker. Was used to bring Almo here in New Jersey.

First round (25) : Vadim Sharifijanov - UGLY
The talent was there but... oh well. Just forget it.

Second round (51) : Patrik Elias - GOOD
No need to explain, a fantastic pick.

First round (18) : Petr Sýkora - GOOD
Another fantastic pick.

Second round (44) : Nathan Perrott - UGLY
A great NHL career : 2 goals and 6 points.

First round (10) : Lance Ward - UGLY
Had an NHL career... but still a very bad pick. 4 goals in his career.

Second round (38) : Wes Mason - UGLY
Never played a single NHL game.

Second round (41) : Josh DeWolf - UGLY
Ditto.

Second round (47) : Pierre Dagenais - BAD
Could do something im Montreal, but the pick was definitly wasted.

Second round (49) : Colin White - GOOD
Finally a good pick in 1996 ! The only good one.

First round (24) : JF Damphousse - UGLY
Did nothing and should never be seen in the NHL, at least not as a regular.

Second round (38) : Stanislav Gron - UGLY
Was ok in the AHL but is now in Europe and is a complete bust.

First round (26) : Mike Van Ryn - UGLY
Turned out to be a wasted pick. A good player though.

First round (27) : Scott Gomez - GOOD
A very good playmaker. Came very quickly, with a Calder Trophy.

Second round (37) : Christian Berglund - BAD
Could still become a regular, but the Devils hoped for much more...

First round (27) : Ari Ahonen - GOOD
No definite word, but still in the system and still dvlping.

Second round (42) : Mike Commodore - UGLY
Slower than Daneyko. Seriously. Should never be more than a reserve D.

Second round (50) : Brett Clouthier - UGLY
He will probably never be seen in a Devils uniform.

First round (22) : David Hale - GOOD
Some health problems, but still a promising stay at home D.

Second round (39) : Teemu Laine - GOOD
Nothing great, but could still have a good career though.. the jury is still out.

Second round (56) : Aleksander Suglobov - GOOD
Look like a great pick. Could be another Sýkora/Elias magic pick.

Second round (57) : Matt DeMarchi - GOOD
Solid. Could be a very dependable stay at home D.

Second round (62) : Paul Martin - GOOD
Very promising. Could be our next version of Niedermayer.

First round (28) : Adrian FOSTER - BAD
Some health problems. A great talent though, still able to become a fine player but should be considered a longshot now.

Second round (44) : Igor Pohanka - UGLY
Looks like a lost pick so far.

Second round (48) : Tuomas Pihlman - GOOD
Good, but must progress... his season isn't great this year.

Second round (51) : Anton Kadeykin - UGLY
Looks like a lost pick, but obviously he still has time. The first signs are not good.

Second round (53) : Barry Tallackson - GOOD
Is able to become a fine player.

First round (17) : Zach Parise - UGLY
He he... I'm joking. Is now the top-prospect of the Devils.

Second round (42) : Petr Vrana - GOOD
Very promising... could be in the mold of a guy like Brylin.

First round (20) : Travis Zajac- GOOD
A very good prospect. Looks like a good pick so far.

Some observations :

1996 and 1997 was the worst years for the Devils, although Colin White was a very good pick. 2000 looks like the better year, with 5 players able to contribute one day for the Devils.

As for the most recent bust (the title of the thread), this title goes to Igor Pohanka. He still have time to do something, but it is becoming very unlikely. Kadeykin could win the tittle though, as he looks very bad so far too.

Obviously the most recent observations should be taken with a grain a salt, because some players still have time to bust/surprise.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad