YOUR Team's Most Underrated Prospect

Status
Not open for further replies.

turnbuckle*

Andrei Kostitsyn is one of the most underrated AND overrated players on this board.

So many people here say he's overrated or going to be a bust that, in my mind, he is one of the most underrated prospects not only on the Habs, but in the league.

The true gauge of where he was in comparison to his drafted peers last year came at the World Juniors, and he was one of the top 10 forwards at that competition. I'm of the opinion that far too many are ready to label him a bust after failing to dominate in the AHL as a 19-year-old, something few Europeans have done successfully through the years BTW.

The difference in his defensive play from the start until the end of the season was readily noticeable. If he fails to pick up his offensive totals next season there is cause for alarm. If he gains his offensive confidence as I think he will, he'll be fine.

Clutch Mediocrity

May 8, 2004
Ottawa, Ontario
www.4thegame.com
I'll nominate Patrick Eaves for Ottawa.

Honorable mention to Alexei Kaigorodov. Maybe even Ray Emery after his dissapoiting season, many people have written him off because of it which is quite extreme IMO.

I don't really consider Vermette a prospect anymore.....

gabpas

Jan 25, 2003
Aylmer
Visit site
Montreal - Yann Denis without a questions - doesnt receive all the credit he deserves but everyone talks about Kostityn, Perezhogin, Plekanec and Higgins. He will turn into a solid pro goalie.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Great calls on Matt Moulson and Nick Johnson for the Pens.

Johnson doesn't get the respect of being one of the best players in the NCAA as a freshman.

That said, Welch is easily the Pens most underrated prospect.

And here is another name for you: Colby Armstrong.

I bet everyone forgot about Armstrong since he was drafted in 2001. Craig Patrick stated very clearly that he thought Colby was WBS best player all season long. His numbers don't tell the story, but he is SEVERELY underrated. Could be one of the most underrated prospects in the league.

http://wbspenguins.com/Interactive/audio-video/Colby_Armstrong_Highlights.rm

Last edited by a moderator:

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
Caps...

Jakub Klepis-Displayed great set of offensive skills. He led Portland in 3 star voting. For some reason people see him wrong. Potential 2nd line guy.

Owen Fussey-Solid player that nobody ever talk about.

Poochie_D

Oct 31, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
chris higgins. This guy is a complete package. does everything right. some people have him labelled as a great 3rd liner.... i see more of a great first liner in him.

Blades 0f Steel

Jun 23, 2002
Actually, as a Hab fan, I can say any player not taken in the first round for Montreal is underrated.

Any 1st rounder for Montreal is severely overrated.

Just look at Jason Ward and Michael Ryder, both had a tremendous season in the minors in '03, but it was the former 1st rounder that was expected to have success. Ryder wasn't even expected to make the team.

NyCoN

Instant Contender
Nov 20, 2003
Land of 10,000 Lakes
Visit site
theBob said:
Chicago's 2003 8th round pick Dustin Byfuglien.

OT.....He grew up in my hometown(Roseau, MN..also the home the the Brotens) and we went to the same high school...although he's about 7-8 years younger then me....

He's a huge kid! I think he would need to improve his skating a bit to be a top 4 pairing in the NHL though.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Richard Petiot is so underrated he's not even being mentioned as the most underrated.

Honorable mentions:
Ryan Munce - I don't even give him enough credit.
Ned Lukacevic

canucks666

Mar 13, 2004
Vancouver
SuperMan313 said:
Pierre Hedin.

Everyone talks about Steen, Wellwood, Stajan, Kronwall, but nobody ever really talks about Hedin.

hedin is 27. Not really a "prospect" anymore.

For the nux it's kevin bieska i think

Richter_Fan

Sep 27, 2004
Anaheim- Kyle Klubertanz

Atlanta: Colin Stuart, Brett Sterling, Nathan Oystrick

Boston: Yan Stastny,

Buffalo: Jiri Novotny, Michal Valent

Calgary: Egor Shastin

Carolina: Martin Vagner, Danny Richmond, Casey Borer

Columbus: Joakim Lindstrom, Greg Mauldin, Joe Motzko

Chicago: Adam Berti, James Wisniewski

Colorado: Sean Collins, Denis Parshin,

Dallas: Tobias Stephan

Detroit: no underrated

Edmonton: Liam Reddox

Florida:

La: Yannick Lehoux/Ryan Munce

Min: Anton Khudobin/Danny Irmen

Mon: Ryan O'Byrne/Oskar Korpikari

Nas: Nick Fugere/Vaclav Meidl

Nj: Petr Vrana/Ahren Nittel

NYI: Jerremy Colliton

NYR: Jonathan Paiement

Ott: Roman Wick/Alexei Kaygorodov

Phi: Dov Grummet-Morris/Alexander Drozdetsky

Pit: Matt Moulson/Nick Johnson

Sj: Joe Pavelski/Matt Carle (not too much now tho')/Steven Zalewski

Stl: Konstantin Zakharov/Lee Stempniak

TB: Gerald Coleman

Van: Jullien Ellis-Plante/Alexander Edler

Was: Oscar Hedman

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
Definetaly Aki Seitsonen, he had a stellar season in the dub this year, and should be even better next year with more PT at C.

cxreg

Nov 13, 2003
Seattle
Richter_Fan said:
Alexander Drozdetsky

Is there any chance of him ever playing in North America? Doesn't seem like he's still developing, and I'm not sure he should be considered underrated, although news about Alex is hard to find

krt88

Jun 19, 2002
Fayetteville, NC
cybionscape.com
For the Buffalo Sabres

Sabres75 said:
Paul Gaustad

I have to agree.

This 6-5 230lb center projects nicely as a future 3rd line centermen. Big, physical, has improved every year, as desire, kills penalties, is willing to stand in front of the net and that's important.

BigE

Mar 12, 2004
New York, NY
Hmm tough call. I can think of a few over-rated prospects. ;)

Maybe Ivan Baranka as under-rated. Many seem to just 'forget' about him and he deserves to be a little higher on our chart than he currently is.

Gags1288

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
GagneOwnsYou said:
Mike Richards.
Yea right, if anything he's overrated and i'm a huge Richards fan.

I'd say that the Flyers most underrated prospect is probably Ryan Potulny. Very few people know who the kid is, but he has a very impressive skill set. Most people recognize Ruzicka as a small "steal" in the '03 draft as a 3rd rounder, but I'd qualify Potulny as the same thing. The flyers '03 draft at this point seems to be quite remarkable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad