Mike Morrison
Martin Prusek
Damian Rhodes
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Ron Tugnutt
Steve Weeks

:laugh:

:cry:

He stopped both shots he faced - how many NHL goalies can say they stopped every shot they faced in their career?

Barrasso could be a HHOF'er next year, I wouldn't say he didn't pan out. Hasek, another one. And the jury is still out on Elliot, only 26. And Lehner is what, 20? I'd say he's got more then a shot.

Marek Schwarz comes to mind first and foremost for the Blues. Drafted him 17th overall, that right there is enough to put pressure on him for the future and have high hopes. Then he has the nerve to come over and post pretty decent numbers in the A, getting out hopes up even more. Got a few tastes of the NHL, played pretty good for a 20 year old. Then he went to the ECHL, got fed up I guess and has been in Europe for 2 seasons now.

worstfaceoffmanever

These Snacks Are Odd
Jun 2, 2007
Fargo, ND
Brian Finley, perhaps best known for the Finley Rebound Goal (there was actually a name for it) and giving up six goals to Florida.

I have to go cry in the corner now...

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
Craig Anderson
Alex Auld
Mike Bales
Tom Barrasso
Don Beaupre
Daniel Berthiaume
Craig Billington
Mike Brodeur
Brian Elliott
Ray Emery
Mike Fountain
Martin Gerber
Dominik Hasek
Jani Hurme
Mark Laforest
Patrick Lalime
Simon Lajeunesse
Pascal Leclaire
Robin Lehner
Darrin Madeley
Curtis McElhinney
Mike Morrison
Martin Prusek
Damian Rhodes
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Ron Tugnutt
Steve Weeks

Very odd list, I've bolded some that make no sense.

Barrasso could be a HOF goalie as soon as next year
Beaupre played for 17 seasons, not the greatest but not a bust
Billington never really was hyped to be anything more than he was...a decent back-up
Hasek some consider the greatest goalie to play the game (not me)
Tugnutt also had a long career and was one of the better back-ups in the league.

I guess a case can be made for Lalime and LeClaire...but even listing them is a bit iffy.

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
Or maybe that was a list of goaltenders who have played for the Sens, period?
Maybe even a joke about how the Sens haven't had good goaltenders?

That said, people are being really liberal with, and in some cases just ignoring, what constitutes a goalie of the future. Established goaltenders brought in to plug a hole aren't GOTFs. Even a guy like Ari Ahonen is dubious for the title at best, what with the Devils having a 26 year old Martin Brodeur when he was drafted.

...why did the Devils draft a goalie with their first pick that year?

Roomtemperature

Apr 8, 2008
New Jersey
Or maybe that was a list of goaltenders who have played for the Sens, period?
Maybe even a joke about how the Sens haven't had good goaltenders?

That said, people are being really liberal with, and in some cases just ignoring, what constitutes a goalie of the future. Established goaltenders brought in to plug a hole aren't GOTFs. Even a guy like Ari Ahonen is dubious for the title at best, what with the Devils having a 26 year old Martin Brodeur when he was drafted.

...why did the Devils draft a goalie with their first pick that year?

There was a legitimate fear that he was going to be signed by a team as an RFA for a lot of money that the Devils couldn't afford

Jarick

Doing Nothing
For the Wild, it was Josh Harding.

He was a highly touted prospect goalie while we had Fernandez and Roloson as a tandem. Once Roloson was traded and Fernandez was the starter, Harding played a handful of games and looked outstanding. Then he got hurt the following season and Finnish goalie Niklas Backstrom got the backup gig. Fernandez gets hurt a couple months into the season and Backstrom plays lights out and gets the Wild into the playoffs. Fernandez is traded and Harding is supposed to play backup and eventually be the starter, but he keeps getting hurt. Had hip surgeries two years ago, then last year he tears both ACL and MCL in the preseason and missed the entire year.

This year he's top five in GAA and save percentage and could be a UFA steal for a team willing to take a chance on him...if he can stay healthy.

mooseOAK*

Another fun way to look at it is how long it has been since some teams have drafted a goalie that had a career as a starter, not just a good season or something like that. Toronto none since Potvin in '90, the last goalie that the Bruins drafted that had a career as a starter was Bill Ranford in 1985, Philadelphia was Pelle Lindbergh in 1979, Ottawa hasn't drafted one yet, drafting demons like the Devils have nothing since Brodeur in 1990.

11MilesPerJohan

@BeingAHumanBean
Nov 8, 2011
McLean Hospital
For the Bruins...Blaine Lacher, had one good year and then flamed out. Hannu Toivonen, drafted with the second to last pick in the first round, meanwhile, Duncan Kieth would be drafted 54th overall that year. Also, Andrew Raycroft had a really promising rookie year, won the Calder I believe, then never panned out after that (at least as an NHL starter).

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
The guy that immediately came to my mind for the Pens was Craig Hillier. He was our first rounder in 1996. He never made it. Guys like Lalime and Hedberg burst onto the scene largely because of Hillier's failings as our 'goaltender of the future'.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Trevor Kidd, Brent Krahn, Tyler Moss, Dany Sabourin, Matt Keetley, Curtis McElhinney, Andrei Trefilov, Andrei Medvedev...

Hopefully Leland Irving won't be joining this list.

As for back-ups who didn't work out well...

Boucher, McLennan (2nd stint), Cujo was okay.. The only decent back-up we've had since our cup run was Toskala, up until now.

Last edited:

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
Barrasso could be a HHOF'er next year, I wouldn't say he didn't pan out. Hasek, another one.

Barrasso could be a HOF goalie as soon as next year
Beaupre played for 17 seasons, not the greatest but not a bust
Billington never really was hyped to be anything more than he was...a decent back-up
Hasek some consider the greatest goalie to play the game (not me)
Tugnutt also had a long career and was one of the better back-ups in the league..

Don Beaupre only played the strike-shortened season and half of the season that followed for Ottawa. Goalies that 'pan out' generally last a little longer than that.

I'm sure you could subtract the thirteen games he played in Ottawa, and Barrasso is likely still a lock for the HOF.

Considering he played a half-season for Ottawa before injuring himself at the Olympics (and a lot of people consider that injury the only thing that seperated the Sens from the Stanley Cup in 2006), I'm not sure how I'm incorrect in saying he didn't pan out for the Senators.

This thread is about goalies that didn't pan out for your team. Georges Vezina himself could suit up for the Sens, but if he craps the bed every night, you can't say he panned out :laugh:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I wonder if people are confusing the 'goalie of the future' in the classic sense of a highly touted young goalie being groomed for the job and having great things predicted versus someone who didn't work out in net...

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
For the Los Angeles Kings, the goalie of the future was supposed to be Jamie Storr. They waited nine years for him to become a starting goalie but any time he played a long stretch of games, he would begin to falter and struggle.

Some fans believe that a playoff incident where Geoff Courtnall ran into him pretty much ruined the kid's confidence. Storr stayed in and the Kings gave up a 3-0 lead and were eventually swept by the Blues and Storr was never the same player again.

The most amount of games he appeared in a season was 45 games in 2000-01 and his career high of wins in a season was 19. He struggled with consistency throughout his career and the Kings would cut ties with their relationship with Storr after the 2002-03 season.

Feb 12, 2003
^ I remember watching Jamie Storr for the Phoenix Roadrunners and he just looked like a stud. At the time Byron Dafoe was in the nets but he was later traded to Boston and that gave the opening for Storr. I didn't know as much about hockey back then, but I can remember many a night going to Veteran's Memorial Coliseum to see Jamie Storr starting for the Runners. I was excited to see him make it to the big club but he never panned out. He even had a cup of coffee in the Coyotes organization a couple of years ago, which was nice to see him back in Phoenix.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Mikael Tellqvist

yeah, he was kind of a star for a while in the sel when he won two consecutive championships with his club djurgården in 2000 and 2001, i think he played a lot of games on the national team too

JaymzB

Apr 8, 2003
Toronto
For the Los Angeles Kings, the goalie of the future was supposed to be Jamie Storr. They waited nine years for him to become a starting goalie but any time he played a long stretch of games, he would begin to falter and struggle.

Some fans believe that a playoff incident where Geoff Courtnall ran into him pretty much ruined the kid's confidence. Storr stayed in and the Kings gave up a 3-0 lead and were eventually swept by the Blues and Storr was never the same player again.

The most amount of games he appeared in a season was 45 games in 2000-01 and his career high of wins in a season was 19. He struggled with consistency throughout his career and the Kings would cut ties with their relationship with Storr after the 2002-03 season.

One thing I remember about Storr is being named to back-to-back Rookie of the year teams. :laugh:

McGuillicuddy

Sep 6, 2005
Craig Anderson
Alex Auld
Mike Bales
Tom Barrasso
Don Beaupre
Daniel Berthiaume
Craig Billington
Mike Brodeur
Brian Elliott
Ray Emery
Mike Fountain
Martin Gerber
Dominik Hasek
Jani Hurme
Mark Laforest
Patrick Lalime
Simon Lajeunesse
Pascal Leclaire
Robin Lehner
Darrin Madeley
Curtis McElhinney
Mike Morrison
Martin Prusek
Damian Rhodes
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Ron Tugnutt
Steve Weeks

WTF? How can you possibly complain about Tugger? He was brought to Ottawa to be not much more than a depth/backup goalie and elevated his game to become a very solid starter for a few years. He also put in some pretty good minutes in Pittsburgh (was a rock during that playoff run) and Columbus. Rhodes you can complain about. But the only thing you can say about Tugnutt is that he bailed you out when Rhodes dropped the ball!

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
WTF? How can you possibly complain about Tugger? He was brought to Ottawa to be not much more than a depth/backup goalie and elevated his game to become a very solid starter for a few years. He also put in some pretty good minutes in Pittsburgh (was a rock during that playoff run) and Columbus. Rhodes you can complain about. But the only thing you can say about Tugnutt is that he bailed you out when Rhodes dropped the ball!

Yeah Tugnutt was pretty good during the early years for Ottawa. He wasn't a perrenial all star or anything but he was still a solid goalie and helped the team a lot during the time he was with the team.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I was a huge fan of Stephane Fiset and Marcel Cousineau. Thought they were the next best things for Quebec and Toronto. Have both their jersey's signed.

I saw Cousineau a bit when he was in the juniors, with the Harfangs de Beauport. Terrific junior goalie, but game just didn't translate.

BubbaBoot

Oct 19, 2003
The Fenway
Visit site
Bruins hype on Hannu Toivonen was huge.

He was an athletic butterfly GK who was blanking the AHL, got called up and played impressively for 20 games.

But the following season the league caught on quickly that he went down very fast and was getting beat high almost every time, and he never adjusted.

He got sent down and then the following year was traded to St. Louis, (for the rights to Carl Soderberg), with similar results.

He got released and after a season in Finland he'd been playing in Rockford for the last 2 years, with last year being his best statistically since that first breakout stint in 2006.

I don't know where he is now.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad