Your Team Canada 2007 WC team

Status
Not open for further replies.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
If I had to do my preferred lines right now, this is probably how they would appear:

Nash-E. Staal-Williams
Toews-J. Staal-Cammalleri
Armstrong-Lombardi-Doan
Chimera-McClement-Mayers
xxxxxxx

Obviously, there are still some things up in the air. We don't know who the 13th forward will be. I think Toews will drop as the tournament progresses. There's a lot of speed up front, a lot of aggression, and scoring shouldn't be a problem for the top two lines. Expect Eric Staal and Nash to really play like they have something to prove. As I stated earlier, I think Armstrong-Doan would be one of the most valuable wing tandems in the tournament, with their size, toughness, aggressiveness and forecheck. A duo that could change a game, a momentum duo. And they could get two or three goals each, too.

Any chance that Ryan Smyth or Brenden Morrow is the 13th forward that we're waiting for?

Weber-Hamhuis
Brewer-Commodore
Schultz-Jackman
Murphy

I expect big things from Weber and Hamhuis. Even though I have them listed as the No. 3 pairing, to a certain extent, I think Schultz and Jackman would be our most valuable pairing, with their ability to shut down the opposition.

Ward
Roloson
Mason

I think the No. 1 job is definitely up for grabs. If a guy plays great in the round robins, he'll get the ball during the medal round. There isn't a goalie who I would say is elite right now, we don't have a Luongo this year, but there are three excellent goalies who can all steal a game or two in the medal round.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
One last thing: I think this team is definitely lacking leadership. Not a major surprise, considering how young it is, and how many first time WC players we have.

If Smyth or Morrow is the 13th forward, then I think one of them will get the C. If both balk, then I think Shane Doan is a gimmie to be the captain. It's not a bad pick, I like Doaner a lot and he's a good leader. As for the alternates, Eric Brewer would be an obvious pick with his past international experience. But after that, it's a crapshoot. Even though they're young, defencemen like Jackman, Schultz and Hamhuis would all be solid picks for an A. Up front, there isn't a natural pick for a letter.

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
How is it that there's no Marc Savard or Patrice Bergeron? did these 2 get an invite and turn it down or something?

Lalonde

Aug 20, 2004
Well,presumably,the lines will be something like that:

Williams -E. Staal- Lombardi
Nash-Toews-Doan
J.Staal -Cammalleri- Armstrong
Chimera-McClement-Mayers

Weber-Hamhuis
Brewer-Commodore
Schultz-Jackman
Murphy

Roloson-starter
Ward-backup
Mason-3rd goalie

PP1-
Williams -E. Staal-Doan
Weber-Muprhy
PP2-
Nash-Cammalleri-Lombardi
Hamhuis-Brewer

PK1
Mayers –McClement
Schultz-Jackman

PK2
J.Staal-Chimera
Weber-Commodore

wildone26*

Well,presumably,the lines will be something like that:

Williams -E. Staal- Lombardi
Nash-Toews-Doan
J.Staal -Cammalleri- Armstrong
Chimera-McClement-Mayers

Weber-Hamhuis
Brewer-Commodore
Schultz-Jackman
Murphy

Roloson-starter
Ward-backup
Mason-3rd goalie

PP1-
Williams -E. Staal-Doan
Weber-Muprhy
PP2-
Nash-Cammalleri-Lombardi
Hamhuis-Brewer

PK1
Mayers –McClement
Schultz-Jackman

PK2
J.Staal-Chimera
Weber-Commodore

Did you hear an official word those are the lines or are those just your projected?

Pushkin*

St. Louis and Lecavalier turned down the invitation?

St Louis Lecavalier and Richards were terrible in Turin so maybe a break is better for them... Well almost all the team was Terrible. 0-2 to the Swiss???????????? 0-2 to Finland ??? and losing to Russia... So let's go with the next generation that one isn't abble to get it done

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
St Louis Lecavalier and Richards were terrible in Turin so maybe a break is better for them... Well almost all the team was Terrible. 0-2 to the Swiss???????????? 0-2 to Finland ??? and losing to Russia... So let's go with the next generation that one isn't abble to get it done

They are having great season this year. I want them on TEAM Canada and everyone in Canada wants them on the team.

Well, Your team Russia didn't win anything too... So no need to remind me of all those games!

Pushkin*

They are having great season this year. I want them on TEAM Canada and everyone in Canada wants them on the team.

Well, Your team Russia didn't win anything too... So no need to remind me of all those games!

NHL and Country is two different things. Maybe they are playing good for money but when it comes for playing for pride and your country you can't deliver just like they did. Russia 5 Sweden 0 that is a great win...Russia 2 Canada 0 as well...Some players play good for Canada some others don't... it's important to identify them and the tampa guys are terrible playing for canada...

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
NHL and Country is two different things. Maybe they are playing good for money but when it comes for playing for pride and your country you can't deliver just like they did. Russia 5 Sweden 0 that is a great win...Russia 2 Canada 0 as well...Some players play good for Canada some others don't... it's important to identify them and the tampa guys are terrible playing for canada...
Vincent Lecavalier was the best Canadian player at the last World Cup. Players have ups and downs and unfortunately, the freaking whole team was down in Torino. How do you explain Dany Heatley who usually is great at the World Championships but was as bad as anyone else on Team Canada in Torino? To dismiss players for one tournament is unfair and wrong. Russia's senior team hasn't won a World or Olympic title for what, 13 years? Was it because they didn't care for their country? I think not.

As for Canadian participation, the problem is that the World Championship is not very popular over here so the players don't feel the need to go to a tournament that nobody at home cares except for a few minority. Each time we win the Gold, most learn about it through the news and that's it. There's no welcome celebration and things like that, unlike in Europe where people go on the street and celebrate. I don't like that the tournament has so little interest here but that's how it is. I also feel that young players should help Hockey Canada out when they are called but considering the country's interest, there are times when I can't blame them too much.

Lalonde

Aug 20, 2004
Did you hear an official word those are the lines or are those just your projected?

It's only my supposition,no more than that :)

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Vincent Lecavalier was the best Canadian player at the last World Cup. Players have ups and downs and unfortunately, the freaking whole team was down in Torino. How do you explain Dany Heatley who usually is great at the World Championships but was as bad as anyone else on Team Canada in Torino? To dismiss players for one tournament is unfair and wrong. Russia's senior team hasn't won a World or Olympic title for what, 13 years? Was it because they didn't care for their country? I think not.

As for Canadian participation, the problem is that the World Championship is not very popular over here so the players don't feel the need to go to a tournament that nobody at home cares except for a few minority. Each time we win the Gold, most learn about it through the news and that's it. There's no welcome celebration and things like that, unlike in Europe where people go on the street and celebrate. I don't like that the tournament has so little interest here but that's how it is. I also feel that young players should help Hockey Canada out when they are called but considering the country's interest, there are times when I can't blame them too much.
Towards the end of that 33-year gold medal drought, the interest grew among the players. That 1994 Canada team was as good as any team that we've sent to the worlds. Future HHOFers like Sakic, Shanahan and Robitaille, at their peak, and Bill Ranford was sensational for us.

After we won gold, interest dropped again. We won gold in 1997, but it wasn't a huge deal. Gretzky put a real emphasis on the Worlds for selecting the 2002 and 2006 Olympic teams, and the 2004 World Cup team, and that resulted in back-to-back gold medals at the Worlds in 2003 and 2004. For whatever reason, the young guys aren't as committed to the WC's as they were five or six years ago. Is Gretzky not emphasizing the Worlds as much as before?

All of our scorers under 30 struggled at the Olys. Thornton, Lecavalier, Richards, Iginla, Heatley, Gagne and Nash - these are seven reasons we couldn't come away with gold.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Towards the end of that 33-year gold medal drought, the interest grew among the players. That 1994 Canada team was as good as any team that we've sent to the worlds. Future HHOFers like Sakic, Shanahan and Robitaille, at their peak, and Bill Ranford was sensational for us.

After we won gold, interest dropped again. We won gold in 1997, but it wasn't a huge deal. Gretzky put a real emphasis on the Worlds for selecting the 2002 and 2006 Olympic teams, and the 2004 World Cup team, and that resulted in back-to-back gold medals at the Worlds in 2003 and 2004. For whatever reason, the young guys aren't as committed to the WC's as they were five or six years ago. Is Gretzky not emphasizing the Worlds as much as before?

All of our scorers under 30 struggled at the Olys. Thornton, Lecavalier, Richards, Iginla, Heatley, Gagne and Nash - these are seven reasons we couldn't come away with gold.
Many of the veterans were as brutal or worse. I don't buy your argument. I would have even added Crosby, Spezza who had great chemistry with Heatley, and Eric Staal. I was very upset with the selection of useless Bertuzzi and some other selections. I was a tiny little bit glad that we didn't win.

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
Call me pessimistic but this team doesn't look impressive at all. We're gonna get laughed at again.

I gotta agree...but I felt that way from the moment the team was selected..love Stevie...but whats up with not selecting St. Louis, Lecavlier (these 2 have been incredible this year), Richards, Marc Savard (Ignored yet again), Patrice Bergeron....unless of course these were players who were selected but could not go for some reason.... Seems like Hockey Canada is making the same mistake as last year by not selecting players who are already having great seasons (In Torino they excluded Spezza, Staal (Who's had a pretty awful year this year) & Crosby)

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
I gotta agree...but I felt that way from the moment the team was selected..love Stevie...but whats up with not selecting St. Louis, Lecavlier (these 2 have been incredible this year), Richards, Marc Savard (Ignored yet again), Patrice Bergeron....unless of course these were players who were selected but could not go for some reason.... Seems like Hockey Canada is making the same mistake as last year by not selecting players who are already having great seasons (In Torino they excluded Spezza, Staal (Who's had a pretty awful year this year) & Crosby)
THey didn't accept invitations....

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
No I dont, other then refuse to buy into the inflated perceptions of such a greatly overrated player and prefer evaluating him as I see him as opposed to the outrageously inflated opinion most have of him.

I dont know why you find it so funny that he wont be invited by Canada to Worlds. He has skipped 3 of the last 4 years with illness/injuries so he isnt that commited. He was only invited at the last minute last year and he was playing better last season then he did this season.

View attachment 23214

View attachment 23215

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad