Your Team Canada 2007 WC team

Status
Not open for further replies.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Well, its another time for all TC fans to put the team together that they would love to see, this is probably talked about more than the actual game and the team itself.

I'll do mine when I get home from work.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Well, obviously we're gonna have to assume some teams will make it and some won't, so here goes.

Goalies:

Legace
Roloson
Leclair

Defenseman:

Bouwmeester
Seabrook
Eminger
Jackman
Brewer
Ference
Heward

Forwards:

Nash (not had a great year, hope for a confidence booster from the WC)
Cammaleri
Horton
Weiss
Doan
Boyes
Sakic (hey, a man can dream, right?)
Wolski
Bergeron
Savard
Murray
Richards

Would like to have put in some other players, but injuries came into play some.

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
In recent years, Canada really likes to take young players to this tournament in hopes of integrating them into the full national senior team. If the Canadiens are knocked out, I could definitely see Guilllaume Latendresse get an invite. He has had a decent rookie season, and is too young to play in the AHL. If the season for the Canadiens' ends early, I can't see him go back to junior, so the World Championships would be a good option.

I definitely like your roster. I'm not sure that Roloson would be willing to go, as he is quite old and has played the most hockey of his career this past season. Also, I doubt Sakic goes since he has absolutely nothing to prove.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
In recent years, Canada really likes to take young players to this tournament in hopes of integrating them into the full national senior team. If the Canadiens are knocked out, I could definitely see Guilllaume Latendresse get an invite. He has had a decent rookie season, and is too young to play in the AHL. If the season for the Canadiens' ends early, I can't see him go back to junior, so the World Championships would be a good option.

I definitely like your roster. I'm not sure that Roloson would be willing to go, as he is quite old and has played the most hockey of his career this past season. Also, I doubt Sakic goes since he has absolutely nothing to prove.

Yeah, I tried to keep the teams in 9-10 off the rosters so that its accurate, but potentially like Ward, Staal, Ladd, Walker, Commodore could be going, or possibly Raycroft, Wellwood, etc.

I do like Guillaume, I think he's had a great rookie campaign, I could also see him going like Bergeron did back in 03-04.

Goalies are a large question mark on my team, I think Leclair is still injured. :help:

I hope Sakic goes to show that he still really wants to be there in 2010, and he goes to show how important Team Canada is like Shanny did last year. I realize its a stretch, but you know, you never know.

Rexor

Oct 24, 2006
Brno
If the Canadiens are knocked out, I could definitely see Guilllaume Latendresse get an invite. He has had a decent rookie season, and is too young to play in the AHL. If the season for the Canadiens' ends early, I can't see him go back to junior, so the World Championships would be a good option.

He's not good enough to play in the AHL, so that he should be invited
to the WCH team? I don't get this. Correct me if I have misunderstood your post,
but it looks like you're underestimating the level of competition at the WCH a bit.
I definitely agree this tournament is a great opportunity for young NHL-ers, I'll
be really pissed if Florida and Edmonton send Olesz and Šmíd to the AHL and thus
not allow them to participate at the tournament.

espo*

Don't want to make a list yet until i am 100% sure who is and isn't making the play-offs.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Aint Wolski a polack?

Anyway, im glad there is _some_ north american that takes interest in this tourney.

Yeah, any event that Team Canada plays in definetly has some following. I know my family (particularly my brother and I) watch this tournament quite religiously. Sometimes you have to be up at 4 and 5 in the morning, but its always worth it. :yo:

Edit: Yeah, Wolski wasn't born in Canada, but he grew in Canada. (Much like Regehr, and Heatley)

Systemfel

<b><i>Hockey Talk by Country</b></i>
Jun 20, 2004
Gothenburg
He's not good enough to play in the AHL, so that he should be invited to the WCH team? I don't get this. Correct me if I have misunderstood your post, but it looks like you're underestimating the level of competition at the WCH a bit.
Tricolore#20 said Latendresse isn't old enough to play in the AHL.

Rexor

Oct 24, 2006
Brno
Tricolore#20 said Latendresse isn't old enough to play in the AHL.
Of course, but what's the difference? He's too you young to play in the AHL,
hence he should start at the WCH? :dunno:
I am curious because Czech coach Hadamczik claims there's a threat that Olesz and
Šmíd won't be allowed to play in Russia because their teams would possibly send
the to the AHL. They are about the same age as Latendresse, so it seems like
a double standard to me. (It's not anything against Europeans for sure, I just find it
interesting that Tricolore#20 said "Latendresse is too young for the AHL" as it
was a sort of a no-brainer; on the contrary, Florida and Edmonton consider sending
these two players to the lower league, so I'm rather puzzled.)

Systemfel

<b><i>Hockey Talk by Country</b></i>
Jun 20, 2004
Gothenburg
Of course, but what's the difference? He's too you young to play in the AHL, hence he should start at the WCH? :dunno:
There is a difference between 'old' and 'good'. Tricolore#20 said Latendresse was ineligible to AHL play and that he therefore should play at the World Champs.

I am curious because Czech coach Hadamczik claims there's a threat that Olesz and
Šmíd won't be allowed to play in Russia because their teams would possibly send the to the AHL. They are about the same age as Latendresse, so it seems like a double standard to me. (It's not anything against Europeans for sure, I just find it interesting that Tricolore#20 said "Latendresse is too young for the AHL" as it was a sort of a no-brainer; on the contrary, Florida and Edmonton consider sending these two players to the lower league, so I'm rather puzzled.)
Latendresse, a 19-year-old, was signed out of the QMJHL before his junior eligibility ended. Therefore, he cannot be sent to the AHL. Smid and Olesz are both over 20 years old and were signed from Europe.

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Of course, but what's the difference? He's too you young to play in the AHL,
hence he should start at the WCH? :dunno:
Šmíd won't be allowed to play in Russia because their teams would possibly send
the to the AHL. They are about the same age as Latendresse, so it seems like
a double standard to me. (It's not anything against Europeans for sure, I just find it
interesting that Tricolore#20 said "Latendresse is too young for the AHL" as it
was a sort of a no-brainer; on the contrary, Florida and Edmonton consider sending
these two players to the lower league, so I'm rather puzzled.)

Systemfel addressed the point very well. Latendresse is younger than those two players. I suggest Latendresse because Patrice Bergeron made a similar jump during the 2004 World Championships, after his rookie season. Obviously Bergeron had a better rookie season than Latendresse, but Guillaume isn't a slouch and could be considered. I'm not fully convinced he'll make it (again, assuming the Canadiens are out), because his skating probably isn't as good as Bergeron's was back in 2004, and he hasn't had that type of impact either. However, Canada historically likes to take young players to these tournaments.

Off the Latendresse topic, it was mentioned earlier that Roloson could be a goaltending candidate. Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal also brought up that Roloson could be called by Canada if they want an experienced guy, and considering that Roloson hasn't played much (if at all) for Canada in the past, he could perhaps be interested. Martin Biron was listed as another option by Matheson.

Rexor

Oct 24, 2006
Brno
OK, I wasn't aware of these rules, now I understand. Thanks for the clarification.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Hmmmm, I thought I had him in there.

I don't know if he really has to go anymore, he's been once I know for sure, but I would love to see him there.

Crazyhorse

Sep 2, 2006
Gothenburg
Hmmmm, I thought I had him in there.

I don't know if he really has to go anymore, he's been once I know for sure, but I would love to see him there.

Why not, i mean it's not like he couldn't made some plans, considering that philly(in theory) have been eliminated for playoff competition for such a long time.

I really think that these tournaments are important for Canada aswell. One of the mistakes during the Turin tournament, was Canadas inability to test some new players. They wen't with the old guard, the ones who had played good 2002, and 2004. Considering the deep talent pool Canada can roll with, i think "the" players(when they are available of course) should prove their worth for Team Canada, and show that they deserve their spot, much like Heatley and Smyth did.

harper

Feb 4, 2006
Why not, i mean it's not like he couldn't made some plans, considering that philly(in theory) have been eliminated for playoff competition for such a long time.

I really think that these tournaments are important for Canada aswell. One of the mistakes during the Turin tournament, was Canadas inability to test some new players. They wen't with the old guard, the ones who had played good 2002, and 2004. Considering the deep talent pool Canada can roll with, i think "the" players(when they are available of course) should prove their worth for Team Canada, and show that they deserve their spot, much like Heatley and Smyth did.

I agree that they are important, but people dont perceive it as such. The WJC are far more popular. As a Canadian living in Europe, I cant empasize enough the incredible difference in meaning this tournament has between N.A. and Europe. I agree with your points, but this tournament is taken as "real" World Championships, in the sense of best on best, not to mention it coincides with the playoffs...but i am repeating the obvious. All i can really stress is that the tournament lacks meaning in Canada. I was in Slovakia when they won, and the country went nuts...an inconceivable reaction in Canada.

I hope that the darkest days of nonparticipation are behind us...a few years ago 60 players turned down the offer to play for Team Canada in the WC. Its frustrating for me, because then when Canada sends its 4th rate team, a lot of Slovaks-and i presume Europeans elsewhere-figure that we suck. And it definitely harms talent assessment for TC, the scandal of Turin is a good example...all in all, a frustrating and unfortunate situation

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
I agree that they are important, but people dont perceive it as such. The WJC are far more popular. As a Canadian living in Europe, I cant empasize enough the incredible difference in meaning this tournament has between N.A. and Europe. I agree with your points, but this tournament is taken as "real" World Championships, in the sense of best on best, not to mention it coincides with the playoffs...but i am repeating the obvious. All i can really stress is that the tournament lacks meaning in Canada. I was in Slovakia when they won, and the country went nuts...an inconceivable reaction in Canada.

I hope that the darkest days of nonparticipation are behind us...a few years ago 60 players turned down the offer to play for Team Canada in the WC. Its frustrating for me, because then when Canada sends its 4th rate team, a lot of Slovaks-and i presume Europeans elsewhere-figure that we suck. And it definitely harms talent assessment for TC, the scandal of Turin is a good example...all in all, a frustrating and unfortunate situation
You call Turin a scandal? An embarrassment maybe but scandal? Who cares if Europeans think that we suck. If they can't realize that we sent a 4th grade team, than they're opinion is worth nothing. Great fans know the history and context. Most Europeans are hockey ignorant and extremely biased.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC

The World Championship is important to Hockey Canada but not much to the eyes of Canadian hockey fans. I'm a huge fan of international hockey, I even like it better than the NHL but I'm a very small minority. To give you an example, when Canada wins the Gold, most Canadians will learn the news in the sport section of a newspaper or during sports minutes on TV and that's it! If I'm not wrong, Europeans often go on the street and celebrate. No celebration here, nothing. Only the Olympic Gold (when it's best vs. best) that we get excited about.

Crazyhorse

Sep 2, 2006
Gothenburg
The World Championship is important to Hockey Canada but not much to the eyes of Canadian hockey fans. I'm a huge fan of international hockey, I even like it better than the NHL but I'm a very small minority. To give you an example, when Canada wins the Gold, most Canadians will learn the news in the sport section of a newspaper or during sports minutes on TV and that's it! If I'm not wrong, Europeans often go on the street and celebrate. No celebration here, nothing. Only the Olympic Gold (when it's best vs. best) that we get excited about.

Good explanation there, but that wasn't my point. My point was that many US and canadian players take their spot on the national team for granted. I mean, you don't suck because you play in the WC. Actually, i think it was Ryan Smyth that told Shanahan after last years playoff-series between the Wings and the Oilers, that "He should bring the cup home".
Agreed the WC is far bigger in Europe, and that there is a few adjustment issues, but still, players that is available and turn down every time, should get second priority(Ofcourse this wouldn't apply to no-brainers such as Crosby, Thornton, S Niedermayer, which all btw have been taken part at different WCs 2004-2006).

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
If the tournament started tomorrow it might be something like this:

G: Dwayne Roloson, Cam Ward, Martin Biron
D: Jay Bouwmeester, Brett Clark, Mike Commodore, Barret Jackman, Eric Brewer, Andrew Ference
F: Joe Sakic, Mike Cammalerri, Ryan Smyth, Patrice Bergeron, Justin Williams, Eric Staal, Simon Gagne, Nathan Horton, Rick Nash, Shane Doan, Shawn Horcoff, Wojtek Wolski

wildone26*

I only know Rick Nash wont be invited. Other then that anything could happen. It depends who is available.

wildone26*

:biglaugh: Do you have something personal against Rick Nash?

No I dont, other then refuse to buy into the inflated perceptions of such a greatly overrated player and prefer evaluating him as I see him as opposed to the outrageously inflated opinion most have of him.

I dont know why you find it so funny that he wont be invited by Canada to Worlds. He has skipped 3 of the last 4 years with illness/injuries so he isnt that commited. He was only invited at the last minute last year and he was playing better last season then he did this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad