• Price

• Poehling

• Suzuki

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Combination of factors... luck & timing being the most uncontrollable.

It has occurred for us... take PK. Getting a Norris dman in the mid 2nd round.

But I do think on the controllable side of things, the internal ability to assess prospects and quickly shift the internal emphasis/prioritization in how well a particular player gets supported, is a key variable that a team can control and that we did miserably under MBs watch.

It's obvious and pretty consistent that teams prioritize top picks when it comes to opportunities & "leash", and not a bad thing per say... but can a team quickly recognize that a player drafted later has made quick/fast strides, and then shift their prioritization accordingly?

A player like Roy would be an example, imo. How much emphasis and opportunity does he get going forward? His explosion puts him on par or ahead of many 1st round picks from his draft... does the team internally adjust accordingly?

Andrighetto from a few years back strikes me as the opposite... granted he never fully built himself into a top 6 player, but, does he get so quickly and unceremoniously traded, for useless spare part, had he been a 1st round pick?

Considering the longer leash and time the habs invested in trying to get something out of McCarron (drafted the same year and far less effective at every level, post draft, than andrighetto), I think the clear answer is no.

And, while some really don't get it, the reality in rite sports is that the margin of error btw progressive levels of impact (ie hof vs elite, elite vs solid top 6, solid top 6 vs mediocre top 6... vs bottom 6 vs borderline nhler vs career ahler vs echler...) is incredibly thin & heavily tied to mindset/emotional resilience.

The right opportunity at the right time, let's a Martun St-Louis breakout into a HOF, whereas if that same opportunity doesn't arrive at the same time, he might never have become an NHL regular, let alone superstar.

Dan Cleary is a great example of the opposite effect... huge talent, comes really close to wasting it away, finds a different mindset at the right time to salvage his career. He obviously had the talent & skill to be a star, flamed out, but caught himself.

Long winded answer... but the main point is that of the controllable variables, strong talent id (physical & mental), individualized support & attention, and the willingness to prioritize based on constantly updating assessment vs sunk cost approach of prioritizing based on draft position... those things all factor in to creating optimal environments for prospects to be set up to succeed.

And all areas that we did much better at under Savard & Gainey's leadership than under MBs... and likely the biggest reason our draft and development success went from league best to league worst despite the same person leading the draft side of things throughout

PK was good for where they got him but he was nowhere near Aho and Pasta in terms of sustained impact. The latter two could have easily been top 3 in a redraft. PK, I’m not sure.

I meant the Habs just never found that type of elite scoring forward with a later pick.

Mandalorian

Screw the tank, just WIN BABY!
Jan 3, 2022
In your head, rent free
PK was good for where they got him but he was nowhere near Aho and Pasta in terms of sustained impact. The latter two could have easily been top 3 in a redraft. PK, I’m not sure.

I meant the Habs just never found that type of elite scoring forward with a later pick.
Last elite forward I can remember for Montreal drafted in the 2nd was Ribeiro(5th in this draft for career point). After that it goes back to Stephane Richer in the 2nd round(1984).

Reactions: Runner77

First Line

There’s something about Marty
Aug 21, 2002
I certainly don’t see any untouchables. We need C and D so it wouldn’t make much sense to trade Suzuki and Romanov unless we get someone better but that’s not usually how trades work.

Reactions: amethyst

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

? At the same age PK was ahead of both. Injuries are what they are.

Norris winner & 2x finalist before he hit 30. Neither aho nor patrnak, as good as they been, have been league best at their respective positions.

Both were picked ahead of PK.

So if we're talking finding & developing elite talent late, he's a better example of that than either.

If we're talking forwards only... sure, I guess.

I mean, finding a 30 goal winger in the 5th round is pretty damn rare. It's not point in the 3rd, but still impressive.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Looking at Habs contracts and... I don't know how many of these bums are even moveable. They're all signed long term, and a bunch have NMC's. The ghost of Bergevin is going to haunt us for years and years to come still.

Reactions: amethyst

Engelwood

Jul 1, 2018
Here is how my rebuild goes:
Trades this year:
Lehkonen: For a prospect or 2nd round pick
Chiarot: Prospect and a 1st
Kulak: 2nd round pick
Wideman: 3rd round pick
Paquette: 3rd/4th round pick
Byron with 1 million per year retained salary: Prospect and a 2nd round pick
Perreault: 3rd round pick or 2nd next year
So that gives you additional:
2-3 prospects
1 first round
2-3 second round picks
3 third round picks
This offseason you resign Clague, Niku, Pitlick, Primeau, Brook and Montembeault
Next year you start the season with
Drouin – Suzuki – Anderson
Toffoli – Dvorak – Caufield
Hoffman – 1st round pick – Gallagher
Poehling – Evans – Pitlick
Petry – Edmondson
Romanov – Savard
Niku – Clague
Brook
You leave most of the young guys with their JR team if you can or stack Laval for this year to build a winning culture there.
Next year you look to trade the following:
Hoffman, Toffoli, Allen and Drouin.
The big question mark in all of this is Carey, if you can trade him in either of these years, if you can work it out where you absorb some of his salary and can get a solid return of multiple picks and prospects you jump at it.
I keep Petry and Edmonson as we will need some quality defensemen to teach the young D prospects we have coming through the system in the next couple years. Hopefully they can bring Weber in as a coach of sorts because he could help with guys like Guhle and Mailloux

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
Looking at Habs contracts and... I don't know how many of these bums are even moveable. They're all signed long term, and a bunch have NMC's. The ghost of Bergevin is going to haunt us for years and years to come still.

Where there's a will there's a way. Only way to think about the Habs going forward.

Reactions: amethyst and Habs13

EquabaleAce

Nov 8, 2003
Calgary
My rebuild:
To Ducks
Gallagher
To Habs
Comtois

To Colorado
Price $4000000 retained
Perrault
To Habs
Kuemper
Compher (cap dump)
Justin Barron
Shane Bowers

To Bruins
Hoffman (500000 retained)
To Habs
Senyshyn

To Flames
Toffoli
To Habs
1st 22

To Oilers
Kuemper (1000000 retained)
To Habs
Koskinen
Raphial Lavoie
2nd 22
3rd 23

To Fla
Kulak
To Habs
3rd 24

To Nashville
Armia
To Habs
Myers

To Rangers
Lehkonen
Allen
3rd 23 (Oilers)

To Habs
Georgiev
Kravtsov

To Blues
Chiarot
To Habs
Zac Bolduc

To Vegas
Wideman
To Habs
Marchessault

To Capitals
Paquette
To Habs
7th 24

22-23
Comtois Suzuki Caulfield
Drouin Dvorak Anderson
Marchessault Wright Kravtsov
Byron Phoeling Compher
Evans Ylonen

Edmundson Petry
Romanov Myers
Harris Savard
Klague

Georgiev
Primeau
Montembault

We would have Barron and Bowers knocking on the door with our current prospects.
Also with the ability to sell Drouin, Byron, Compher, and possibly a D at the deadline for more futures.

Last edited:

Mandalorian

Screw the tank, just WIN BABY!
Jan 3, 2022
In your head, rent free
Build through the draft they say:

Cole Caufield - Jesperi Kotkaniemi - Max Paxioretty
Alex Galchenyuk - Ryan Poehling - Brendan Gallagher
Michael Pezzeta - Jake Evans - Artturi Lekhonen
Lukas Vejdemo - Jacob De La Rose - Michael McCarron
Sean Farrell - Joshua Roy - Rafael Harvey-Pinard

Mikhail Sergachev - Ryan McDonagh
Nathan Beaulieu - Jarred Tinordi
Noah Juulsen - Pk Subban
Kaiden Ghule - Logan Mailloux
Jordan Harris - Matthias Norlinder

Carey Price
Jaroslav Halak
Zachary Fucale
Cayden Primeau

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Hopefully we can inject some fresh blood next summer namely Letang in Petry's place, perhaps Shane Wright and a few more depth signings...

Toffoli-Suzuki-Caufield
Hoffman-Dvorak-Anderson
Wright-Evans-Gallagher
Pezzetta-Poehling-x
Vejdemo/Dauphin

Edmundson-Letang
Romanov-Savard
x-Wideman
Clague

Price-Primeau

Farm:
F; Ylonen, Farrell, Mysak, Harvey-Pinard, Teasdale, Belzile, Stapley, Dea, Olofsson, Baddock, Hillis, Simoneau, Abbandonato, Roy, Martel, Bourque
D; Ouellet, Schueneman, Guhle, Fairbrother, Norlinder, Harris, Xhekaj, Bisson, Amorossa, Dello
G; McNiven? Poulin?

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
I didn’t see the Martin St.Louis nomination coming but I am sure he will be a positive addition. Might help Caufield too.

I like Montenbault, I think he is an intriguing G until he is replaced by a young stud. However, I do think the Habs must not repeat the Price years mistake and start with a top C, W and D; before they focus on a G.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad