• Price

• Poehling

• Suzuki

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
If you were the Habs new GM, select the guys you would keep as your core. Disregard any NMC for now.

This can be a reset or a rebuild, depending on you evaluation of the team. Your choice will obviously reflect that.

Only players that are currently with the team, no futur picks. I added “other” as an option if I forgot someone in the options. Just post the name if you select “other”.

I did not add guys that are currently not on the roster like Primeau because I reached the max of choices.

Habano

Allez les Bleus, (Blancs, Rouges)
May 18, 2012
I'd keep Evans also, forgot to include him in my votes

Sagikev

Chadstudsky
Sep 16, 2018
I'd keep Evans, Edmundson, Anderson and Lehky in the 25+ year old range. The rest can go IMO. We still need some vet presence and I think Lehky, Evans and Andy bring that work ethic that can be contagious with young players, also they bring speed. Edmundson is the least horrific contract in the d corps and he seems like a good leader. Definitely the vet dman I'd keep.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hector Salamanca

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
I left some guys of that I think we can get a lot of value for in the form of a pick and prospect. Anderson, Lehkonen, Edmondson, Petry but I think they are players teams want from us, and will pay a premium for them. So I don't mind moving from them.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
There is no core. The only option that can be checked is Price because we won't get any honest offers for him. Weber is most likely retired after his contract expires. Gallagher is playing his way out of town and I think it's the same with Petry. The rest are all expandable depending on the new direction the new GM will set. I don't quite care about their "pedigree", if we need some pieces traded to rebuild, they're all available.

CheldishGamibno

Turtles & Refrigerators
Aug 19, 2006
Mute City
Many here probably won't be on board with me but I'd keep Gally. Of course he's overpaid but he brings leadership for the youth core to build around. He's the only overpaid salary I'd keep.
Wouldn't mind keeping Eddy for now either.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
There's not so much a core as there are assets which are going to depreciate in value, and assets that are likely to appreciate in value. Keep the appreciating ones, shed the depreciating ones for picks and prospects. At least a few of them anyways.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
I'd keep Evans also, forgot to include him in my votes

I also forgot him. Really great contract.

So I would have only Suzuki, Caufield and Evans on my list. Everyone else can go for the right price..

Picaroon

Apr 6, 2008
New Brunswick
Going with the little info we have from Gorton, I'm keeping speed and skill.

The only vets that fit that criteria are Anderson, Drouin and Lehkonen. Then the young guys in Suzuki, Caufield, Evans, Romanov, Poehling and Norlinder.

Enough with the character nonsense. Role players can be acquired easily at the deadline or off free agency. Let's build an exciting team for once.

Beaker

In My Lab Goggles
Jun 4, 2007
In The Lab.
Suzuki / Caufield / Romanov / Poehling… then maybe Anderson / Dvorak / Lehkonen / Evans / Norlinder… everything else can go and I’d be fine

Reactions: Benstheman

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
There's no core really right now.

But I would only keeps those I think their valiue will increase.
Guys like Drouin, Gallagher, Both Joel, Savard and many other....their value won't increase and many of them, their value will start to drop.

Everything still start with Price.......

BozoTheClown

Jul 10, 2021
Many here probably won't be on board with me but I'd keep Gally. Of course he's overpaid but he brings leadership for the youth core to build around. He's the only overpaid salary I'd keep.
Wouldn't mind keeping Eddy for now either.
I think we can find the same leadership as Gallagher at a fraction of the cost.
Gallagher is not needed for the rebuild.
Price, Gallagher and Weber should be the first ones out.

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
Oops. I selected everyone I’d like to trade haha anyways, i selected everyone who’ll be 30+ this season.

rickthegoon

Feb 25, 2012
Pretty surprised how the whole group is consistent in their choices. Only Lehkonen’s pick is surprising with these much votes.

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
I wouldn't keep Dvorak on a core, he's too slow as a center if were trying to get back to being a speedy team. We could probably fetch a much better first round pick at the deadline than we will end up giving to Arizona.

Lekhonen I also didn't vote for among the popular ones, but wouldn't mind keeping him since he's a heart and soul player.

Honestly wouldn't mind keeping Armia either, he was tremendous for us in the playoffs. We need good cycling players and he's not that old (edit: nvm, 28 is pretty old)

Jul 6, 2016
I put Caufield in my core, but I am not totally sure he will really have any impact opn this team if he stays a one-trick pony.

Reactions: Surfer72

OnceWasNot

Jul 28, 2009
Not a single player on this team is important to keep based on their current level of play, but I picked the ones who are still young and may either develop into good players or serve useful roles on a rebuilt team.

Reactions: amethyst

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Only Suzuki for me. No one else isn't a "complimentary" piece except Carey, who will be done playing by the time our rebuild is over.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
If we're going to disregard contracts and assume the veterans can be moved in deals that make sense, then the only player I'm comfortable projecting as a future core piece is Suzuki. Maybe Caufield, but I'm not so sure about that.

The way I see it, the core will be somewhat fluid in the coming years. Some veterans will be kept, because we have no one ready to fill those roles and/or they can't be moved due to contact considerations. Here is the core:

#1G: It's going to be Price until the end of his contact. It's impossible to trade him without seriously hampering yourself imo. Then, perhaps Primeau, but it's far from certain. Anyways, it's not really relevant to the rebuild, because teams don't hit a rebuild button in order to draft a goalie with a top-10 pick. They usually come from other sources.

#1D: Jeff Petry. Inadequate, but there's absolutely no one in the organisation who projects to fill that role. For this reason, and because of a lack of NHL ready RHDs, he might be here to stay. This role is the most glaring long-term need.

#2D: Joel Edmundson. Inadequate, but there might actually be players in the system to fill that role in the future, with Guhle being the frontrunner.

#1C: Nick Suzuki

#2C: Depending on how he turns out, and on Suzuki's progression, it might still be Dvorak. We'll see.

#1W: Gallagher. Even assuming that what we're seing today is just a bump on the road, it's not ideal if Gallagher is your best winger. Since we might have to keep Price's and Petry's contracts on the books, he's the most logical piece to trade, although it will have to be carefully considered due to chemistry and leadership reasons. The team has taken quite a lot of hits in this department in the recent months. As for the future, we don't really have a star winger in the system, but it's a relatively least important part of the core.

#2W: Toffoli then Caufield.

Whatever we decide as regards to Gallagher, I think Anderson absolutely needs to be traded this season or the next. He's an exclusively rush player with poor awareness and puck protection ability on the cycle. He's going to be absolutely useless once his skating ability diminishes. On a team full of risky contracts, he might just be the nail in the coffin, because he's completely redundant and would provide solid value if traded now. Even with Gallagher gone a RW depth of Toffoli/Caufield/Armia should be perfectly adequate. LW is the easiest position to fill, especially if we retain Lehkonen and perhaps even re-sign Drouin for less money to serve as a playmaking winger on Dvorak's line.

If I decided to trade Gallagher, my next season's team would look something like this:

xxx - Suzuki - Caufield
Drouin - Dvorak - Toffoli
Lehkonen - Evans - Byron
xxx - Poehling - Armia

Edmundson - Petry
Clague - Savard
Romanov - xxx

Price
Allen

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events