Your Reaction if Leafs Finish The Season as a Bottom 10 Team

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
honestly the results of this poll makes me sick

After the way they played all year if they finish bottom 10 people should be PISSED not accepting of it

these poll results are disgusting

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
I chose "devastated." Not because I would be truly devastated, but it is the closest to how I believe I would feel. I understand that the team is young and still building but these imporant games have been so much fun that for the Leafs to legitimately fall off a cliff and not compete for a playoff spot would truly suck.

I expect the Leafs to slightly tail off and miss the playoffs, but not by too much.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth

After the way they played all year if they finish bottom 10 people should be PISSED not accepting of it

Disgusting? Bit of a strong word for it. It's a team full of rookies with a tough schedule in the 2nd half. Maybe your expectations are too high. This isn't a veteran laden team.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Disgusting? Bit of a strong word for it. It's a team full of rookies with a tough schedule in the 2nd half. Maybe your expectations are too high. This isn't a veteran laden team.

I expected bottom 10 coming in but they have proven capable of more, if they finish bottom 10 now I will be disgusted

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Not for those who always had reasonable expectations.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
I expected bottom 10 coming in but they have proven capable of more, if they finish bottom 10 now I will be disgusted

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why I have so much trouble accepting the arguments of so many in Leaf Nation! The poster has just contradicted him/herself. You expect bottom 10 and if they do you are disgusted??? Come on, their proven capabilities are not proven, they're a part of a process. As a team they may exceed expectations, but again, they may not. Say you're disappointed, I can agree with that, but disgusted...ya, walk into the dressing room and tell a group of 8/9 rookies that you're disgusted that they didn't finish as high as what you felt they were capable of. I'm sure they'll have a few choice words for you, including FO!

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Leafs have 57 points the bottom 10 teams at present line is 54 points with 3 teams (Winnipeg, NYI, and NJ (all tied for 10th, 9th and 8th from the bottom).

If NYI beat Leafs tonight they move to 56 points (-1 point behind the Leafs).

The margin between bottom 10 and Leafs is very small at present where a simple bad week or 3 losses in a row could see them fall into the bottom 10 OA.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Option 4:

Indifferent - whether playoffs or no playoffs. Leafs are still rebuilding; no need to lose my marbles over it. 8 rookies on the team; lets keep things in perspective and not over-evaluate the situation.

Placid Perspicuity

Apr 19, 2016
I think it's possible that there is a level between "devastated" and "accepting." I will be disappointed if they don't make the playoffs, but even if they don't make it, it's not like the rebuild has failed. With how close the teams are in points, missing the playoffs may put us in the bottom third of the league. Doing so won't change my mind that the rebuild is progressing well.

Things are not going to be smooth sailing from here on out, and there are bound to be rough patches along the way. Not making the playoffs this year will hardly be "devastating." Atlanta Falcons fans can rightfully feel devastated. I'd simply be disappointed but optimistic for the future.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why I have so much trouble accepting the arguments of so many in Leaf Nation! The poster has just contradicted him/herself. You expect bottom 10 and if they do you are disgusted??? Come on, their proven capabilities are not proven, they're a part of a process. As a team they may exceed expectations, but again, they may not. Say you're disappointed, I can agree with that, but disgusted...ya, walk into the dressing room and tell a group of 8/9 rookies that you're disgusted that they didn't finish as high as what you felt they were capable of. I'm sure they'll have a few choice words for you, including FO!

as I said they have proven capable of more so no bottom 10 is no longer acceptable

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
as I said they have proven capable of more so no bottom 10 is no longer acceptable

Leafs have lost 4 of their last 5 games and given up 2X5 goals and 2X6 goals against in the last 4 games.

22 goals against in the last 4 games after the all-star break is trending in the wrong direction.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Leafs have lost 4 of their last 5 games and given up 2X5 goals and 2X6 goals against in the last 4 games.

22 goals against in the last 4 games after the all-star break is trending in the wrong direction.

everybody goes through slumps and despite this slump they currently sit in a plauoff spot 2 points out of 2nd in the division

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
everybody goes through slumps and despite this slump they currently sit in a playoff spot 2 points out of 2nd in the division

Agreed but also only 2 points out of bottom 10 overall.

Teams between Leafs and bottom 10.

15th Leafs ...... 58 points
16th Boston .....58
17th ST Louis .. 57
18th Calgary ... 57
19th NYI ......... 56
20th Florida .....56

--------- Bottom 10 -------
21st New Jersey .... 56 points
22nd Carolina ........55
23rd Winnipeg .......54

Point differential between Leafs and bottom 10 (-2 points) and 7th last (-4 points).

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
Disappointed, not in the team, just in not being in the playoffs. I think any fan of a sports team that isn't looking for a tank-job will be disappointed when their team doesn't make the playoffs.

This is a team that, coming into the season, I was fine with any possible outcome, knowing there is still pieces needed to become a true contender. If they finish bottom 10, it's not what I was hoping for, but I can accept it. If they make the playoffs, amazing!

The only thing that can really dampen my opinion of the season is if they keep playing like this for the rest of the year, building up leads, game after game, only to blow them. I don't think that's going to happen, they'll learn, and they'll stay in the fight until the end of the season, and they'll grow from there.

member 262271

I voted Accepting, whereas my answer earlier in the season would've been devastating. As great as it would be to make the playoffs this year, it would literally be: outscore the opponent whilst getting shelled, or just get plain shelled. I'm not sure whether that would be good for development or not. Gotta tighten up before we make it past the 1st round anyways.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Since I am not a highschool girl who is defined by drama, I'll go with disappointed, but understanding it is a bunch of rookies leading the way.

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
I think in the long run I'd be happier if they finished with a top 10 pick. I mean sure the playoffs would be great this year but I really don't expect them to go too far in them. Getting another high end forward or defender in our prospect cupboard would be awesome for the future. It's a process it doesn't just end after this year.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I think this season was always looked at as a development season. Crosby, Toews, Kane, Stamkos, Hedman, Barkov, Ekblad, Tavares, etc. None of these guys made the playoffs in their rookie seasons.

If we finish bottom 5, bottom 10, etc, who cares. Enjoy the ride. If we make the playoffs, great. We won't win the Cup, but it'd be fun to watch. If we miss the playoffs, fine, we'll have a higher pick, and a shot at a lottery pick.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I am enjoying the season regardless of what happen - they make or they don't

I really want to see this team in the playoffs but would mind another top 10 either

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
I will be disappointed but this team has proven they are on the right path so adding another high end prospect won't hurt.

I'd rather the players we have get playoff experience though.

Pyromaniac3

Dec 19, 2011
Toronto

If someone shows you over a course of a season, that they are capable of much more than what you expected, and then suddenly fall off, it is disappointing.

Agreed but also only 2 points out of bottom 10 overall.

Teams between Leafs and bottom 10.

15th Leafs ...... 58 points
16th Boston .....58
17th ST Louis .. 57
18th Calgary ... 57
19th NYI ......... 56
20th Florida .....56

--------- Bottom 10 -------
21st New Jersey .... 56 points
22nd Carolina ........55
23rd Winnipeg .......54

Point differential between Leafs and bottom 10 (-2 points) and 7th last (-4 points).

This is very misleading.
13th Leafs ...... 51 gms ... 58 pts
14th Predators 52 gms ... 58 pts (1 game in hand)
15th Kings ...... 53 gms ... 58 pts (2 games in hand)
16th Bruins ..... 55 gms ... 58 pts (4 games in hand)
17th Blues ...... 53 gms ... 57 pts (2 games in hand)
18th Flames .... 55 gms ... 57 pts (4 games in hand)
19th Islanders . 51 gms ... 56 pts
20th Panthers .. 52 gms ... 56 pts (1 game in hand)

------ Bottom 10 --------
21st Devils ...... 54 gms ... 56 pts (3 games in hand)
22nd Hurricanes 51 gms ... 55 pts
23rd Jets ......... 55 gms ... 54 pts (4 games in hand)

Yes, I know games in hand mean nothing if we don't win. But it's disingenous to indicate that we have similar record when there is a big 6 point swing between Devils and Leafs. The other aspect of this is that even if we don't perform well in these games in hand, the teams that would overtake us will push down Boston and Calgary and other teams before getting to us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad