6 Summers
May 18, 2013
Penticton, BC
well they did sign a street

thumbs_down_gladiator.gif

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Since it's the summer and it's slow around here, I thought this may be a cool idea. Post your all time best post, could be where you called a trade in advance, or where you totally owned someone, or whatever.

I love my posts dripping with sarcasm and distaste. I think hit a lot of nails on the head in trades and signings. Once I saw we got Russell I was like.... Man this kid,if he gets even close to on track from his junior projection we got a really solid player for nothing. I think some of my best work was with Colborne. Wayyyy too many Flames people were drinking the BS Leafs cool aid about him. Judging before seeing him even play a single game. I was just like, we got a highly touted prospect at one point of time, he'll do well here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I love my posts dripping with sarcasm and distaste. I think hit a lot of nails on the head in trades and signings. Once I saw we got Russell I was like.... Man this kid,if he gets even close to on track from his junior projection we got a really solid player for nothing. I think some of my best work was with Colborne. Wayyyy too many Flames people were drinking the BS Leafs cool aid about him. Judging before seeing him even play a single game. I was just like, we got a highly touted prospect at one point of time, he'll do well here.

Yup all valid points for sure! I remember me and BVicious were pretty much alone in arguing for the Flames to offer sheet Stepan. Hindsight I'm glad we didn't do it, but I stand by my comments of what a great all around player he is. Some of my favourite comments are making statements others don't agree with or making bold predictions. I may look to pull up some of my old Brodie posts, the hate I got for my love on him on this board was unreal!

Last edited by a moderator:

haQ Loob

Oct 31, 2006
All my favorite posts have been about Gio

12-04-2007 - I was OP in a thread called "I miss Mark Giordano" when he went to Russia

"I think his playmaking skills, his speed, and his willingness to take risks at the other would be welcome right about now. I don't like Aucoin with Phaneuf on the PP so much...the double bomb hasn't been too much of a factor in the games I've watched."

Responses were generally in the neighborhood of "who cares, we have David Hale now, same diff, he's a 6th/7th Dman at best..."

Prior to Gio's departure, on 04-14-2007, I wrote "I think Giordano will be better than Anaheim's Beauchemin. Perhaps a top 4 as he develops his ability to get the puck to his forwards."

Some thought I was crazy to even mention the two together. I'd be crazy if I mentioned the two of them together now, but because Gio is one of the best D in the league, I think, and Beauchemin is not.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I'm hoping my Gaudreau point prediction will be close to what he attains. If he plays all season, I just don't see how you can keep him off the score sheet much.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
So far, this one is mine. Just pretty much explaining to Isles fans at how much they were overrating Strome and at how many undervalue Baertschi. Just was explaining my reasoning.

Baertschi and Strome are both being overrated by both fan bases. Didn't know much about Strome, but I just want to compare a few things.

Strome - Drafted 5th OA in 2011
Baertschi - Drafted 13th OA in 2011

So far, not much of a difference.

Draft year statistics
Strome - Niagara Ice Dogs 2010-11: 65 GP, 33 goals - 73 assists - 106 points (1.63 PPG)

Baertschi - Portland Winter Hawks: 66 GP, 34 goals - 51 assists - 85 points (1.29 PPG)

And now the year after.

Post Draft Year (2011-2012)

Strome (Niagara Ice Dogs) - 46 GP, 30 goals - 38 assists - 68 points (1.48 PPG)

Baertschi (Portland Winter Hawks) - 47 GP, 33 goals - 61 assists - 94 points (2.00 PPG)

-Strome had a better draft year, Baertschi had a better year post draft year
-World Juniors in 10-11, Strome had 9 points in 6 games, Baertschi only had 3 points in 6.

Now lets just look at their career NHL statistics thus far:

Strome: 37 GP, 7 goals - 11 assists - 18 points (.49 PPG)
Baertschi: 51 GP, 8 goals - 16 assists - 24 points (.47 PPG)

Both are imo at almost fair value, though I give Strome the slight edge.

Believe it or not, but giving Wideman and Baertschi for Strome is more than fair value, in fact the Flames would be overpaying for Strome. However, the deal still doesn't make sense for both parties:

Strome has made a name of his own in the Isles organization, stepping in when JT got hurt. That's some pretty hefty shoes to fill when your best player goes down like that. Just like some Isles fans have said, Strome was sent down to work on his 200 ft game. Guess what? So did Baertschi. This doesn't degrade their value in any way.

Baertschi has a different problem; Flames' fans (including myself) relied pretty heavily on the kid once we traded our franchise player away to the Penguins. We expected so much out of a 19 year old, it wasn't really fair to him. We made it so he felt entitled to a roster spot (or at least a guaranteed spot) on the Flames this year, and Burke made it clear that you have to earn your spot. I think it was a good move for Baertschi to play more in the AHL, he too needed to work on his 200 ft game. Again, does it degrade players' value when they are sent down to the AHL to not only one to work on their 200 ft play, but to also get more ice time in a lower league so that they can become better NHL players? No.

Isles fans that think this proposal is atrocious are wrong. Wideman makes up more than the slight value Strome has on Baertschi. But, the thing about HF is that every fan base overrates their players.

One more thing I'd like to point out is Baertschi has 24 points in 51 games (8-16). Guess who else had 24 points in his first 51 games? Sean Monahan, with 16 goals and 8 assists (weird that it was reversed). The difference between the two is that Sean plays a way better two way game, and that's why he stayed in the big leagues.

HF needs to quit overrating their players, or at least we should all do our research on each player before talking crap to each other. My take on the OP? It's more than fair in favor for the Isles. Does it make sense to do? No, because both teams should keep their prospect and continue to let him progress in your organization.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
FFF, that was an excellent post. In reality, the only reason that Strome would have anymore value than Sven is a) he can play center, and b) his draft position. Besides that looking at production and all around game play since being drafted, neither has done a single thing to set themselves apart from the other, and that's a fact.

When Kadri was sent down, HF said the exact same things that they are now saying about Sven and it's hysterical to me. I said this on the main board, but sending him down was a good thing for him, if anything it should increase his value because he's playing in developmental league to develop areas of his game that need work, what's negative about that? The reality is, only a handful of players that were just drafted within a span of 3 years have the ability to make a legit impact at the NHL level. There are far more players who excel at the age of 23-24, rather than 19-21, that's just the truth. There's nothing wrong Sven's offensive game other than needing a little confidence, but once he commits to playing a complete game I have zero doubts that he will be an impactful player for us.

I don't think there's anything said on HF right now that irks more when people ask "what's up with Sven, he looks like he's on the verge of busting". That makes batty, want to becomes the Hulk and really hurt something or someone, but when I calm down I realize that I'm talking to people that don't a single iota of what they are talking about.

Anyways, good post! :laugh:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Since we are posting recent posts. I thought this one of mine was pretty good but like it says I think people will disagree, but what do you know ;)

I'm curious, who has more upside? Bennett or Monahan. Both were top 5 picks right? Who's projected the better player and better scorer?
Monahan was #6, but I think people are blinded by draft position. I am a firm believer that the top 6 guys from the 2013 draft were better than the top 4 from the 2014 draft. Over on the Flames board I have made it abundantly clear that I think this way, most disagree, but then again these are the same folks that thought Baertschi was going to be better than Monahan as well last year when we voted for our top prospects.

I think Monahan will clearly be the better overall player. I see him as a perennial 25-30 goal and 75-80 point player. He will have better production than most give him credit for in my estimation. People point at his high shooting percentage and declare that he can't keep that up, which is true, but he will take more shots so thinking he will be a 25-30 goal scorer on a regular basis is far from crazy. Also coming into the league his playmaking abilities were declared his strong suit, so as his linemates improve I expect his assist totals to climb as well. Defensively I think he will have Selke qualities. Lofty projection? Sure, but I do believe it is very possible.

With Bennett my projections are not as set in stone as I have not seen him play a great deal. But I don't see him, Reinhart or Draisaitl being as good as the likes of Monahan, Lindholm, Drouin, Barkov or MacKinnon. At this point in time I project Bennett to be a 25-30 goal scorer like Monahan but topping out in the 50-60 point range. I also don't think Bennett will be a centerman at the NHL level. I think he will play LW and end up as the scoring half of a Bennett/Jankowski second line duo.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Since we are posting recent posts. I thought this one of mine was pretty good but like it says I think people will disagree, but what do you know ;)

That's a very good assessment I think. I do believe Bennett is a more offensive dynamic player than Mony, but based off what we've seen no one can really argue with what you said, if they do they are only going off of draft position. I've said the same things about Monahan's playmaking ability as well. Thing is though, if Bennett does end up at C, we have enough skilled wingers to roll 2 top lines, so I could actually see them flip flopping points from year to year depending on who is hotter.

Really good post though!

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
That's a very good assessment I think. I do believe Bennett is a more offensive dynamic player than Mony, but based off what we've seen no one can really argue with what you said, if they do they are only going off of draft position. I've said the same things about Monahan's playmaking ability as well. Thing is though, if Bennett does end up at C, we have enough skilled wingers to roll 2 top lines, so I could actually see them flip flopping points from year to year depending on who is hotter.

Really good post though!
I was thinking about doing a super super long post (is there a character limit for each post?) Where I try to give my analysis of every player in the organization. Include everything from their style of play to what their impact will be down the road to what they have accomplished so far.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I was thinking about doing a super super long post (is there a character limit for each post?) Where I try to give my analysis of every player in the organization. Include everything from their style of play to what their impact will be down the road to what they have accomplished so far.

I could look into it, also you could do it in sections if there is?

EDIT: I'll get back to you AF.

Last edited:

JulianHopper*

Just a few I can remember, Reto Berra being done as a Flame, Clint Malarchuk not returning as goalie coach, Jonas Hiller signing as well as Mark Cundari now who most people didn't think was any good at all.

Aug 3, 2010
Just a few I can remember, Reto Berra being done as a Flame, Clint Malarchuk not returning as goalie coach, Jonas Hiller signing as well as Mark Cundari now who most people didn't think was any good at all.

I'm pretty sure those don't hold a candle to your Boston filibuster. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad