Your Pick For Sochi 2014

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Canada
Russia
USA
Sweden

Canada is the defending champions and have an unfair amount of talent up front and a very competitive young back end and Price in net.

EbencoyE

Nov 26, 2006
I'll wait until we see if NHLers are going or not before making a prediction.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

On paper, on the BIG Ice, in Russia...

Canada
Russia
U.S.
Sweden
Finland

:)

On paper, on the BIG Ice, in Korea...

Canada
Sweden
Finland
U.S.
Russia

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
according to some of the usual suspects on here it will be as follows:

Gold - Canada
Silver - Canada
Bronze - Canada

since they can field 6 teams that can medal :laugh:

86Habs

May 4, 2009
^^^ I hear you. These threads never end well.

What I want to see happen:
G. Canada
S. U.S.
B. Sweden

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

according to some of the usual suspects on here it will be as follows:

Gold - Canada
Silver - Canada
Bronze - Canada

since they can field 6 teams that can medal :laugh:

You can't fault them for being honest. :)

Fulcrum

I'm pretty sure that the Jamaican Cool Skaters team will take this one. I remember seeing the thread where they were aiming to come to the Sochi games. Watch out!!

Otherwise the Red Machine will be led to the finals by Tikhonov who will have a shift timer while walking in front of his players with a commissar standing by and 22 tickets to Siberia in case they lose. Pretty sure

ForumNamePending

Mar 31, 2012
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
so Canada isn't sending NHL players

For realz... Spinkis must not realize Canada has never failed to medal in Olympic games the NHL has sent players to... oh wait...

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I like Russia if they can hold up under the pressure of being on home ice. Canada, the U.S., and Sweden have an equal shot, with the Finns and Czechs after that.

welshrangersfan

Mar 30, 2011
If all their top guys are healthy, I fancy Sweden to win. Canada and Russia will be there or thereabouts as always.

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under
No doubt Sweden will win. After that it's US due to choosing Pominville both for offensive, complete and PK duties. I guess Canadas depth will peak at the right time and fight out Russia for bronze.
See i'm like that, i rather talk by heart than by paper. I guess both is kinda naive.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
It's going to be Sweden, Russia, Canada or the US. Finland, the Czechs and Swiss could eliminate one of those four in a one off game, but looking at the talent pool those four will put the best twenty odd players on the ice most likely.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
This is not much to speculate about until we see the actual teams. Of course, if one assume that you got all teams with all top talent then one can speculate. But injuries and strange coaching ideas can do wonders with that assumption.

I think it is fare to see Canada, Russia and Sweden as top candidates for the medals - with the expectations/pressure on Canada and Russia (home ice) to get the gold.

markz*

Canada came 7th in the last "Big Ice" Olympics - They will get knocked out in Semi's most likely.

Russia will win over U.S.A or Sweden for the Gold.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
Canada came 7th in the last "Big Ice" Olympics - They will get knocked out in Semi's most likely.

Russia will win over U.S.A or Sweden for the Gold.

Very odd line of reasoning, given Canada won Gold in 2002 on the international ice surface, while Russia hasn't won on either ice surface since NHL players began playing in the Olympics.

Alpine

Oct 28, 2005
Moncton, NB
I always find the ice size argument funny.
Only the NHL has standard ice in Canada.
Many players have played on Oly size ice or even smaller than NHL ice for years
If my little province of NB can have 3 Oly size rinks of it's 90 or so rinks (for about 17,000 registered players) and expand that across all of Canada's IIHF reported 2.500 rinks......at some time most players had experience on Oly size ice
I mean to say that on their way to the NHL and many Euro and minor leagues in the progress from Pee-Wee to Bantam to Midget AAA to
Major Jr to Jr A that they have played on a variety of ice sizes. I don't see why it would be a problem

Last edited:

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Offensive firepower isn't everything, not by a long shot.

I'll go Canada over Sweden in the GMG, USA over Russian for the bronze. Being bold as usual.

Love Olympic hockey. Wish it came more than once every 4 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad