Speculation: Your perfect off season (realistically)

liquiduck

Jul 23, 2015
My perfect off season. hmmm Let's see.

--->The Oilers BIG and only defensive upgrade ends up being Jason Demers on a Sekera type contract.

--->Buffalo signs Stamkos to a monster max term contract worth 12 Mil a season AND gives up a decent asset to Tampa in the process because Yzerman works it out as a sign and trade.
---> Toronto remains pissed all offseason because they did in fact have to give up more than Wsh 2nd and Bernier 50% retained to nail down Andersen.

---->Fowler gets traded( If that ends up being inevitable) for Galenchuk, giving us a prime young scoring winger and simultaneously shuts the main board up about Fowler's trade value.

--->-Hampus signs a 5 or 6 year deal for 5.5 AAV.
---> We Dump Stoner for a soild backup goalie(Lack?) making around 1.5 -2mil, saving us some cap space upfront, and filling the backup goal position at the same time.
----> We get Rakell signed to a nice 2 year bridge deal for 2.75 - 3mil AAV.
----> We get Pirri signed on a decent show me contract for 1 year at 1.75 mil AAV.
--->Ritchie gets into shape.
---> We find a solid, cheapish 3rd line center so we can move Rakell back to wing for now.

liquiduck

Jul 23, 2015
There is no mandatory length of time to be a fan. Knock it off.

Didn't you know? You must have been a fan for at least 8 years before you're a fan.
During that grace period, you're considered a pre-fan, and have no basic fan rights.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
My perfect off season. hmmm Let's see.

--->The Oilers BIG and only defensive upgrade ends up being Jason Demers on a Sekera type contract.

--->Buffalo signs Stamkos to a monster max term contract worth 12 Mil a season AND gives up a decent asset to Tampa in the process because Yzerman works it out as a sign and trade.
---> Toronto remains pissed all offseason because they did in fact have to give up more than Wsh 2nd and Bernier 50% retained to nail down Andersen.

---->Fowler gets traded( If that ends up being inevitable) for Galenchuk, giving us a prime young scoring winger and simultaneously shuts the main board up about Fowler's trade value.

--->-Hampus signs a 5 or 6 year deal for 5.5 AAV.
---> We Dump Stoner for a soild backup goalie(Lack?) making around 1.5 -2mil, saving us some cap space upfront, and filling the backup goal position at the same time.
----> We get Rakell signed to a nice 2 year bridge deal for 2.75 - 3mil AAV.
----> We get Pirri signed on a decent show me contract for 1 year at 1.75 mil AAV.
--->Ritchie gets into shape.
---> We find a solid, cheapish 3rd line center so we can move Rakell back to wing for now.
Maybe they'll get a Stanley Cup winner by RFA offer sheet. 4 million offer to Schultz, 1st + 3rd picks compensation.

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
Prefer to keep Cogger and sign a Vanek type boom/bust guy for 1LW. Understand the salary logic though.

I think Vanek would definitely be worth a shot if he could be had dirt cheap like our usual annual lotto ticket signings. Though, I get the feeling Murph is looking for more of a solution to that LW spot rather than another band-aid.

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
Cap hit /= salary

Well aware. Is my math off? I have the cap hit and actual salary both at around $69M (salary could be less if Hammer's contract is backloaded at all).

[edit] Ah, forgot to add back in Thompson's salary, and the ghosts of Maroon/Fistric. Still, nothing that can't be reworked back into the $69ish range.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
We definitely need some mp22, thompson trades. Cheap wingers that are undervalued or behind a large depth chart.

I think we did that with Pirri. With at least one additional second next year, have to think they'll be in a position to be players at the deadline, so it'd make sense to give Pirri some kind of opportunity to start the year. If he gets qualified, which I'm guessing he will.

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
"Perfect" and "realistically" are not usually used together in the same sentence but I'll take a shot at this...

Trade Fowler for Tatar

Numbers are player salaries:

Ritchie (0.925m) - Getzlaf (9.25m) - Perry (10m)
Cogliano (3.1m) - Kesler (7.875m) - Silfverberg (3m)
Rakell (2.5m) - Pirri (2.75m) - Tatar (2.75m)
Garbutt (1m) - Wagner (0.625m) - Noesen (0.900m)
Thompson (1.7m) - Horcoff (1m)

Lindholm - Manson (0.825m)
Despres (2.6m) - Vatanen (5m)
Theodore (0.832m) - Bieksa (4m)
Stoner (3.25m)

Gibson (1.5m)
Backup (1m)

Total: $66.382m in salary. Leaves $6.618m to sign Lindholm (and this without dumping one of Stoner or Bieksa)

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
"Perfect" and "realistically" are not usually used together in the same sentence but I'll take a shot at this...

Trade Fowler for Tatar

Stoner (3.25m)

Gibson (1.5m)
Backup (1m)

Total: $66.382m in salary. Leaves $6.618m to sign Lindholm (and this without dumping one of Stoner or Bieksa)

Not horrible or anything but a couple notes-

- I think Tatar better come with a significant add, not happy with that as a straight up trade, especially considering he's almost surely more expensive than Fowler next season.

- That's twice as much as we should be giving Pirri. If he's not dirt cheap scoring depth let him walk. If that was to be a line I have it Tatar - Rakell - Pirri

- Noeson should be a couple hundred K cheaper than that, but that savings good very well go to paying slightly more to a back up G or 4C.

- Despite not being unrealistic or anything, is it just me or does that look significantly worse on paper than what we just finished the year with?

paine

Jun 4, 2007
The team is going to be significant worse than what we finished with this past season. That's what happens when you have an internal budget, and numerous players get large raises.

paine

Jun 4, 2007

Trade Fowler for Tatar

Stoner (3.25m)

Gibson (1.5m)
Backup (1m)

You forgot to make room for Hall, Lucic, or Duchene. :sarcasm:

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
The team is going to be significant worse than what we finished with this past season. That's what happens when you have an internal budget, and numerous players get large raises.

I get that concessions have to be made because of the budget, but that isn't going to cut it. Whether he trades Fowler or not, BM needs to somehow dump some other dead salary to bring in more help.

paine

Jun 4, 2007
I get that concessions have to be made because of the budget, but that isn't going to cut it. Whether he trades Fowler or not, BM needs to somehow dump some other dead salary to bring in more help.

In that scenario, he'd have to dump Stoner without retaining salary just to be able to sign Lindholm.

Who else would you like to see traded?

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
Not horrible or anything but a couple notes-

- I think Tatar better come with a significant add, not happy with that as a straight up trade, especially considering he's almost surely more expensive than Fowler next season.

I agree but nitpicking over what the add would be is unnecessary. The most significant asset coming our way would be Tatar.

- That's twice as much as we should be giving Pirri. If he's not dirt cheap scoring depth let him walk. If that was to be a line I have it Tatar - Rakell - Pirri

I doubt he signs for less than $2m. Pirri will likely garner some interest from other teams so GMBM is toeing a fine line with those negotiations.

- Noeson should be a couple hundred K cheaper than that, but that savings good very well go to paying slightly more to a back up G or 4C.

Noesen's NHL salary last season was $832,500. His qualifying offer, which GMBM tendered, is worth $874,125. Noesen has little leverage so I expect him to sign for close to $900k (but certainly for not "a couple hundred K cheaper").

- Despite not being unrealistic or anything, is it just me or does that look significantly worse on paper than what we just finished the year with?

I disagree. What about the lineup looks significantly worse on paper? Sure, we downgrade a bit on defense but Tatar would provide more depth scoring than anyone we potentially lose (Perron, McGinn, Stewart) and Ritchie is a nice complementary piece to Getz/Perry.

Responses in bold.

You forgot to make room for Hall, Lucic, or Duchene. :sarcasm:

Here let me fix that.

McRitchie (0.925m) - McGetzlaf (9.25m) - McPerry (10m)
McCogliano (3.1m) - McKesler (7.875m) - McSilfverberg (3m)
McRakell (2.5m) - McPirri (2.75m) -McTatar (2.75m)
McGarbutt (1m) - McWagner (0.625m) - McNoesen (0.900m)
McThompson (1.7m) - McHorcoff (1m)

McLindholm - McManson (0.825m)
McDespres (2.6m) - McVatanen (5m)
McTheodore (0.832m) - McBieksa (4m)
McStoner (3.25m)

McGibson (1.5m)
McBackup (1m)

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
In that scenario, he'd have to dump Stoner without retaining salary just to be able to sign Lindholm.

Who else would you like to see traded?

He has to fix that Bieksa mistake. I realize that involves waiving his NMC and he probably doesn't want to uproot his family again, but they need to convince the guy that's it's best for both parties if he plays out that contract elsewhere.

Bieksa + both 2017 2nds to Carolina for a 7th, give them more if we have to.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Responses in bold

- I don't think Tatar is a lock to be any better for us than Perron.

- Noeson could sign his QO, but I think a cheaper, multi year 1way is the way to go there.

- We get worse in net, worse on the back end, McGinn to Ritchie is a downgrade until proven otherwise and basically left to bank on Tatar making up all that difference

paine

Jun 4, 2007
He has to fix that Bieksa mistake. I realize that involves waiving his NMC and he probably doesn't want to uproot his family again, but they need to convince the guy that's it's best for both parties if he plays out that contract elsewhere.

Bieksa + both 2017 2nds to Carolina for a 7th, give them more if we have to.

You and I both know that's not realistic.

A) Why would Bieska waive his NMC?

B) Why would a team acquire Bieska if they have to honor his NMC?

C) Why would the Ducks trade two second round picks or a first round pick just to get Bieska off the books when they can buy him out after this upcoming season?

D) Do you think Murray would trade two second round picks to dump Bieska after trading a second round pick for him? How would that look to the owners?

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
I'll try again. This is pretty similar to the one I made in the trade board thread. Note that I did cap hits, so numbers may vary a bit.

Re-sign Perron.
Re-sign Rakell.
Re-sign Lindholm.
Re-sign Holzer

Sign Vrbata for cheap 1 year deal.
Sign Martin
Sign two more 4th liners.

Trade Cogliano and Despres to Arizona for Hanzal. Add picks/prospects to even it out.

Trade Stoner + picks to Toronto for Bernier (50% retained).

Roster:
Perron(3.5) - Getzlaf(8.25) - Perry(8.625)
Rakell(2.5) - Hanzal(3.1) - Vrbata(1.5)
Garbutt(.9) - Kesler(6.875) - Silfverberg(3.75)
UFA(1.25) - Wagner(.638) - Martin(2)
UFA(.7)

Lindholm(5.5) - Vatanen(4.875)
Fowler(4) - Manson(.825)
Theo(.864) - Bieksa(4)
Holzer(.775)

Gibson(2.3)
Bernier(2.075)

Maroon/Fistric hits: .717

Total: 69.5

Getting Martin in there may be wishful thinking so if we need to cut it somewhat, we could replace his 2 million with someone a bit cheaper.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
You and I both know that's not realistic.

A) Why would Bieska waive his NMC?

B) Why would a team acquire Bieska if they have to honor his NMC?

C) Why would the Ducks trade two second round picks or a first round pick just to get Bieska off the books when they can buy him out after this upcoming season?

D) Do you think Murray would trade two second round picks to dump Bieska after trading a second round pick for him? How would that look to the owners?

I don't think it's impossible at all, teams have wormed their way out of worse.

A) Probably the biggest sticking point, but hockey players thrive on feeling wanted. Tell him you don't see a place for him here and hope he does the right thing.

B) Carolina for example has lot's of cap room, and they're short on players need to be protected for expansion. Taking on Bieksa doesn't hurt them nearly as much as other teams and the draft picks are obviously their motivation here.

C) We need that salary flexibility badly right now. Buying out Bieksa next off season means the stench of the horrible move just lingers for an extra year. I'd rather bite the bullet and be rid of him now.

D) I'm sure owners understand that no GM is perfect and occasionally will make mistakes. I'm sure they'd rather see him swallow his pride and try to fix his mistake rather than standing by his decision. I'm also fairly sure using draft picks to fix a mistake would be preferable for the owners as opposed to using their money.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
A) Probably the biggest sticking point, but hockey players thrive on feeling wanted. Tell him you don't see a place for him here and hope he does the right thing.

B) Carolina for example has lot's of cap room, and they're short on players need to be protected for expansion. Taking on Bieksa doesn't hurt them nearly as much as other teams and the draft picks are obviously their motivation.

C) We need that salary flexibility badly right now. Buying out Bieksa next off season means the stench of the horrible move just lingers for an extra year. I'd rather bite the bullet and be rid of him now.

D) I'm sure owners understand that no GM is perfect and occasionally will make mistakes. I'm sure they'd rather see him swallow his pride and try to fix his mistake rather than standing by his decision. I'm also fairly sure using draft picks to fix a mistake would be preferable for the owners as opposed to using their money.

This all assumes that BM wants to part ways with Bieksa...I don't think he does. Fowler and/or Stoner would go before Bieksa would IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad