Your One-Word Wings Wish (And Why)

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Promote

Need to get kids in the NHL sooner. These playoff runs would have went better if the younger players had more experience and so much time wasn't wasted on Holland plug signings. The waiver exemption experation shouldn't be the reason players finally come up. The wings are going to be the reason prospects start requesting the ability to reenter the draft.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but Man I live in Edmonton. And I can Guarantee you EVERY Oilers fan in the city would trade perennial first overall picks for perennial 1st round playoff exits. I Know many a die-hard fan who have become so disparaged with their team they have distanced themselves from the NHL as a whole. The city is begging to watch meaningful hockey games. Guess what? We get to watch meaningful hockey games EVERY year. As a fan of the sport, their is nothing more important.

As a hockey fan what you are saying just doesn't compute. At the end of the day I (we) have no control over the team but I (we) simply love to watch hockey. Particularly Red Wings hockey. Sure its disappointing to be regular first round exit, but we all simply love to watch hockey. Its fun when I (we) can watch my team win hockey games. When you step back and look at the big picture how can a HOCKEY FAN say, "a team that wins 42 games is an un-watchable as the team that wins 22"? That's 20 additional games of enjoyable entertainment. I am sorry but your opinion (seems) to be built on nothing more than the romanticizing of 1st overall picks. I'd rather romanticize meaningful hockey games.

The success of this team from 94-10 has disillusioned some of us :sarcasm:

Now things do seem to be looking up for Edmonton, but that's not the first time this has been said. And yes if they do improve that changes the discussion. But if we keep the discussion to your original thesis of "A perennial early exit (when due to inactivity) is equally unwatchable as a perennial loser." I can't understand how one would chose the loser. I am utterly baffled.

I am sure its strange to hear the gripes your situation certainly trumps the frustration of a wings fan but if you follow the wings more closely you would agree there has been some serious head scratching signings, line combinations, and trades that have not improved the team for many seasons. The frustration isn't necessarily related to having a playoff capable team its with the stagnation and beleif that the playoff streak is more important to management then actually performing in the playoffs as shown by constant young assets and picks being wasted on less than half seasons of some generic veteran plug on or near their retirement date.

Last edited:

alfbundy

Apr 21, 2015
Disagree. A perennial early exit (when due to inactivity) is equally unwatchable as a perennial loser.

Not saying I'd enjoy being Edmonton over the last decade, but the last 5 years (at least to me) have been just as much a waste of time. Heck, if I were Datsyuk, I would've demanded a trade by now, instead of killing myself each year, just to become playoff fodder yet again.
Becoming a bottom dweller would make the regular season unwatchable for many. Just look at the Pistons attendance ever since they started sucking. You really don't wanna go down that road because it could take years to get back on track. I'm sure Edmonton never thought they would be down for this long.

Datsyuk could have left to play in Russia if he was unhappy, but I actually think he enjoys mentoring our young players.

Sami

Oct 21, 2013
Courage

This team still has too much dead weight. Holland needs to show some courage to move the players who aren't playing good. I have lost faith in Smith, Kindl, Ericsson and Weiss. I really hope that Jurco will find his offensive game next season. Would be huge for us.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Promote

Need to get kids in the NHL sooner. These playoff runs would have went better if the younger players had more experience and so much time wasn't wasted on Holland plug signings. The waiver exemption experation shouldn't be the reason players finally come up. The wings are going to be the reason prospects start requesting the ability to reenter the draft.

I am sure its strange to hear the gripes your situation certainly trumps the frustration of a wings fan but if you follow the wings more closely you would agree there has been some serious head scratching signings, line combinations, and trades that have not improved the team for many seasons. The frustration isn't necessarily related to having a playoff capable team its with the stagnation and beleif that the playoff streak is more important to management then actually performing in the playoffs as shown by constant young assets and picks being wasted on less than half seasons of some generic veteran plug on or near their retirement date.

Dude, I am a wings fan first and foremost. I know the frustrations that come with this team. But at the end of the day, we watch hockey to be entertained. Over the last 5 years the wings have been infinitely more entertaining than the Oilers have been. Its not even debatable. The notion that a first round round exit team is as un-watchable as a team that wins 20 games is laughable. It's the result of being spoiled for two and half decades.

I can acknowledged that many of the criticisms against the wings and their roster moves are valid, but some poster need a reality check. 20 wins and a draft pick is not more watchable than 43 wins and game 7 first round loss. It's just not. Especially when one emphasizes the regularity of it. Pretty sure the Red wings have won more games in the last 3 years (not to mention a series win, and two best of 7 series over that same time period) than the Oilers have won in the last 6 or 7. Let that sink in, and report back on which team is more watchable.

Sorry for ranting folks. And sorry if I am coming off as strong worded or entitled. But as a wings fan living in Edmonton, please trust me when I say the alternative is not better, and it's certainly not more watchable.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Dude, I am a wings fan first and foremost. I know the frustrations that come with this team. But at the end of the day, we watch hockey to be entertained. Over the last 5 years the wings have been infinitely more entertaining than the Oilers have been. Its not even debatable. The notion that a first round round exit team is as un-watchable as a team that wins 20 games is laughable. It's the result of being spoiled for two and half decades.

I can acknowledged that many of the criticisms against the wings and their roster moves are valid, but some poster need a reality check. 20 wins and a draft pick is not more watchable than 43 wins and game 7 first round loss. It's just not. Especially when one emphasizes the regularity of it. Pretty sure the Red wings have won more games in the last 3 years (not to mention a series win, and two best of 7 series over that same time period) than the Oilers have won in the last 6 or 7. Let that sink in, and report back on which team is more watchable.

Sorry for ranting folks. And sorry if I am coming off as strong worded or entitled. But as a wings fan living in Edmonton, please trust me when I say the alternative is not better, and it's certainly not more watchable.

LOL sorry I misunderstood glancing on and off while at work.

I don't think the situation in Detroit is comparible. If the wings organization had even 1 first overall pick in the last 5 years it would have been so much better managed. The wings organization is not as troublesome at the top as the oilers were before this season's shakeup. The Oil had a complete top down failiure for many many seasons. People that are calling for a rebuild here are not interested in being a bottom dwealing team just that Holland be better at bringing in younger talent and filling the teams holes. I would much rather see a rebuild than bandaiding the team by spending our 2nd and 3rd picks every season on 20 games of a generic plug to better the chances at a first round exit. Its like groundhog day being a wings fan the last 5 seasons. A full commitment to a rebuild doesn't mean be last place. It means prioritize picks and youth and Holland is not doing that.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Becoming a bottom dweller would make the regular season unwatchable for many. Just look at the Pistons attendance ever since they started sucking. You really don't wanna go down that road because it could take years to get back on track. I'm sure Edmonton never thought they would be down for this long.

Datsyuk could have left to play in Russia if he was unhappy, but I actually think he enjoys mentoring our young players.
That's fine, if that's your breaking point. Between the regular season and the Tampa series, I can count the Wings games I watched this year on one hand, because my breaking point has already been reached. As in, if they're not elite, nor on what I believe is a reasonable path to becoming elite, I'm not wasting two hours to tune in for a product that (I believe) will inevitably go nowhere. Hence my comment about both scenarios being equally undesirable.

Some fans care about Cups and nothing else. In those cases, very few teams are worth watching in any given season, and Detroit hasn't been on that list for some time.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Byfuglien

Don't see the Phanuef trade happening. Big Buff is probably a better option anyway, and I think it could be relatively affordable.

I would love Byfuglien, but I don't see Winnipeg trading their best offensive defenseman. Byfuglien is one of the best offensive defenseman in the league.

smurfyeah19

Feb 3, 2012
I'm glad Sirloin made those comments. As a BGSU hockey season ticket holder I have seen years of being a bottom dweller and to want a rebuilding year is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. To see the Red Wings competitive every year is such a blessing and it would be pretty heartbreaking to see us struggle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad