Your One-Word Wings Wish (And Why)

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Not talking about a player(s) to go after, or which coach you'd prefer. Use just one word to summarize the overall direction, approach, or philosophy you'd like this franchise to use going forward, with a brief explanation.

My word: ACCEPTANCE.

I'm not asking the Wings to outright tank, or to ship all the vets off for a coney dog and a Magic energy drink. I just want them to stop fighting the inevitable, admit that the run is over, and fully prioritize building for the future. That doesn't mean don't make the playoffs, but it does mean the XOs and Marchenkos of the world play regularly, and this nonsense of trading picks for deadline band-aids is over. If you can make a smart trade or pickup, by all means, do it, but otherwise, let the kids play and let the chips fall where they may.

So what's YOUR one word (and why)?

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Not talking about a player(s) to go after, or which coach you'd prefer. Use just one word to summarize the overall direction, approach, or philosophy you'd like this franchise to use going forward, with a brief explanation.

My word: ACCEPTANCE.

I'm not asking the Wings to outright tank, or to ship all the vets off for a coney dog and a Magic energy drink. I just want them to stop fighting the inevitable, admit that the run is over, and fully prioritize building for the future. That doesn't mean don't make the playoffs, but it does mean the XOs and Marchenkos of the world play regularly, and this nonsense of trading picks for deadline band-aids is over. If you can make a smart trade or pickup, by all means, do it, but otherwise, let the kids play and let the chips fall where they may.

So what's YOUR one word (and why)?

I like acceptance, but for a different reason. It's time for Holland (and the fans) to realize that not every prospect is going to be great and trading them for pieces (not old rentals) is the best way to go. Make good decisions, don't wait to trade your assets until the entire hockey world knows they're not good enough.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
It's not that bad.

Still need a real #1 or another true top pairing D-man.

I think it is compared to other playoff teams.

That's exactly what we need, but we can't get one. Hence my "wish".

icKx

Vanek 4 Prez
May 7, 2010
Intertubes
I think it is compated to other playoff teams. And what you said is incredibly hard to find.

Not really. Nashville finds them by the dozen.

It's tiring reading Holland and Devellano make excuses how there's no Lidstrom 2.0 without a top five pick.

We simply suck at drafting defensemen.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I like acceptance, but for a different reason. It's time for Holland (and the fans) to realize that not every prospect is going to be great and trading them for pieces (not old rentals) is the best way to go. Make good decisions, don't wait to trade your assets until the entire hockey world knows they're not good enough.

Thumbs up to this as well, but color me skeptical that it would ever be implemented.

Eggberto

Oct 26, 2013
Cup.

If I had two words I'd say A Cup.

I guess it doesn't necessarily have to be the Stanley Cup, but if they were going to chase any cup I hope that would be the one. I think the reasoning behind my choice is pretty self explanatory lol.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Middle:

Too good to truly tank and secure a high draft pick, not good enough to truly compete for the cup in the near future. I think we will be here for a while.

alfbundy

Apr 21, 2015
Middle:

Too good to truly tank and secure a high draft pick, not good enough to truly compete for the cup in the near future. I think we will be here for a while.
I would rather be "here for a while" than fall like Edmonton and miss the playoffs for a full decade.

RayMoonDoh

Outta Waiver Stuff
Nov 12, 2011
Shore Shack
Strategery.

In that I hope Kenny tweaks his to allow for guys like XO, Marchy, and Jens to cut their teeth in Detroit for more than just a few games until waivers becomes a factor.

Also that Blash has some good ideas for shaking the team up and getting the most out of this lineup

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Evolve.

With Babcock gone, the Wings are going to have to change, and become stronger. If they don't, they'll die and we will find ourselves back in the draft at some point.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I would rather be "here for a while" than fall like Edmonton and miss the playoffs for a full decade.
Disagree. A perennial early exit (when due to inactivity) is equally unwatchable as a perennial loser.

Not saying I'd enjoy being Edmonton over the last decade, but the last 5 years (at least to me) have been just as much a waste of time. Heck, if I were Datsyuk, I would've demanded a trade by now, instead of killing myself each year, just to become playoff fodder yet again.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Disagree. A perennial early exit (when due to inactivity) is equally unwatchable as a perennial loser.

Not saying I'd enjoy being Edmonton over the last decade, but the last 5 years (at least to me) have been just as much a waste of time. Heck, if I were Datsyuk, I would've demanded a trade by now, instead of killing myself each year, just to become playoff fodder yet again.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but Man I live in Edmonton. And I can Guarantee you EVERY Oilers fan in the city would trade perennial first overall picks for perennial 1st round playoff exits. I Know many a die-hard fan who have become so disparaged with their team they have distanced themselves from the NHL as a whole. The city is begging to watch meaningful hockey games. Guess what? We get to watch meaningful hockey games EVERY year. As a fan of the sport, their is nothing more important.

As a hockey fan what you are saying just doesn't compute. At the end of the day I (we) have no control over the team but I (we) simply love to watch hockey. Particularly Red Wings hockey. Sure its disappointing to be regular first round exit, but we all simply love to watch hockey. Its fun when I (we) can watch my team win hockey games. When you step back and look at the big picture how can a HOCKEY FAN say, "a team that wins 42 games is an un-watchable as the team that wins 22"? That's 20 additional games of enjoyable entertainment. I am sorry but your opinion (seems) to be built on nothing more than the romanticizing of 1st overall picks. I'd rather romanticize meaningful hockey games.

The success of this team from 94-10 has disillusioned some of us :sarcasm:

Now things do seem to be looking up for Edmonton, but that's not the first time this has been said. And yes if they do improve that changes the discussion. But if we keep the discussion to your original thesis of "A perennial early exit (when due to inactivity) is equally unwatchable as a perennial loser." I can't understand how one would chose the loser. I am utterly baffled.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad