GDT: Your New Jersey Devils vs. the New York Islanders - NO SLEEP TILL

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
The biggest surprise in the off-season was when Shero never brought in another defenseman, UFA, Trade, whatever it took I thought for sure he would address this unit. I was pretty bummed when Calvin de Haan signed with Carolina, I thought de Haan would have been a great fit and I was kinda stunned when I heard de Haan was never on Shero's radar. But after he was off the list I thought for sure he had a Plan B or maybe even a Plan A that was better than de Haan....but nope.

And now here we are a month into the season with the realization we're stuck with a defensive corp softer than marshmallows and nothing promising down in Binghamton.

For the first time I will declare that Shero totally **** the bed on something, and this is it. This unit was screaming for an upgrade after last year and it was neglected.
I thought Josh Jacobs looked like a capable Dman last night. Nothing spectacular just solid. I thought his skating, positioning and use of size all looked very good to me... In a Miro Mueller kind of way.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
With the exception of offensive production, which Severson has been #1 at this year, Mueller has been our best defenseman statistically while playing against the toughest competition. How can anyone complain about him?

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
in all seriousness it’s not like this is your first year watching a full hockey season. there are ups and downs. first two weeks of the season they looked great, second two weeks have been the opposite. hopefully the team is somewhere in the middle.

one thing that is clear to me is that when they play their hearts out and smother the other teams they win, when they don’t execute that they lose. they need to find that.

yesterday was a crappy game but i’m actually encouraged that the team wasn’t sulking in the locker room and is using it to build confidence. i prefer that outlook personally.

but honestly, the season is really long and this team hasn’t really shown what they are yet. get some perspective and grow the f up before coming in here and spouting nonsense about how everyone and everything sucks.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Market is scarce though. And Shero wasn't going to throw absurd money at an oft-injured player like de Haan.
You think the contract de Haan got was absurd money? $4.5 a year for an reliable Top 4 defenseman is not absurd money to me, sure it might be more than he's worth, but to fill a need sometimes you got to bite the bullet and roll the dice.

Reactions: Devils Dominion

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
You know I’ve stayed clear of criticizing Shero. Perhaps it was just me giving him some rope or faith or whatever you want to call it. But now really examining this team and and roster after 10 games it’s reasonabke to question his decision making.

I personally didn’t like the Henrique trade from the day it happened. You create a hole in one place to fill one in another. Didn’t make sense to me then, still doesn’t make sense to me now. Especially when the hole you’re creating is at 2C for a team with a supposedly attacking identity. Why would you make this trade while Zacha was still an unproven/unknown commodity? It puts too much pressure on the kid who already wasn’t living up to expectations and now it appears he is busting.

Likewise with the departures from last season. We don’t bring back Gibbons, Maroon, Grabner. Ok understandable in a vacuum, but what was the plan to replace them? Apparently with the way the lineup looks now the only “plan” was to just fill in their spots with AHL plugs. Say what you will about Gibbons and Grabner but they’re probably still a step above anyone of these guys being called up now.

Hybes certainly deserves some blame as well. I don’t think there’s really a whole lot of discipline and structure to his system. I’m wondering if we are like Vegas, where teams look like they’ve figured out how to neutralize our speed and strategy with structure, and it wasn’t that hard to figure out because it really wasn’t all that complicated to begin with.

This team went trough a lot of ups and downs last year and ultimately proved they can win when it mattered at the end of the season, despite all the negative nancies on here who for the better part of the middle 3 months of the season kept insisting it was not a playoff caliber team. But this feels different. 1 win in 7 games where the team doesn’t even look competitive? Almost two lines worth of AHL fodder? This may not really be the same team as last year. And to come full circle with my point, that’s where you have to questions Shero’s performance.
I love Adam and will be forever grateful for his contributions to the 2012 run. So much so that my screen name is still a direct quote from him. But our D would be one of the worst in the league if Lovejoy was our #2 on the right side, which would be the case if Sami weren't here.

I wanted Gibbons back, but as Noesen is unfortunately proving this year guys like that are a dime a dozen and tend to regress more often than not.

Shero offered Maroon the $, family is more important to some people.

And Grabner? Hot, wet, space trash. I still don't disagree with the initial move in theory, but you hold your nose, cut that chord and toss it in a dumpster behind the clinic asap.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
I thought Josh Jacobs looked like a capable Dman last night. Nothing spectacular just solid. I thought his skating, positioning and use of size all looked very good to me... In a Miro Mueller kind of way.
By your description he reminds me of Brandon Burlon, but hopefully he gets a call up.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
We can shit a lot on our defenseman, but Mueller and Severson should totally be exempt from any criticism so far.

Severson has been amazing, really, he's making the right plays, and he's doing well defensively.

Mueller is also surprising, considering he's playing against top competition night in and night out and has less then 100 games played in the league.

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
I have a hard time blaming the defense when our forwards are taking stupid penalty after stupid penalty in the offensive zone. Absolute momentum killers.

Top line has been putting up excellent numbers at home where they can get away from the tougher matchups at times. That has not been the case on the road. Hynes really needs to consider splitting them up.

The team has a chance to turn it around. I need more than 11 games to declare a season over

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
You think the contract de Haan got was absurd money? $4.5 a year for an reliable Top 4 defenseman is not absurd money to me, sure it might be more than he's worth, but to fill a need sometimes you got to bite the bullet and roll the dice.

It was the term that was unappealing.

Camille the Eel

A thought after watching the replay of the 2d period.

Clubs have learned that if they pressure Will Butcher physically, get right on him, they can derail the first unit of our power play.

We were living off the power play in the opening of the season. Last night 0 for 4 I believe. While we had some chances in the early ones, the Islanders adjusted and came at us with pressure. Especially from Flippula (a good pickup by Lou for them). The result was totally to take us out of our game.

But I did think Hall was much more assertive last night in the period I watched. I do think that this game, loss though it was, can be a springboard towards our club playing better. Hischier has really grown. One on one he beats Barzal on puck battles.

We need to be patient. Last season I wanted them to play the kids. Well, Shero stood pat in the offseason and we are doing that. Inevitably we are going to have growing pains doing it, as guys come up and play their initial games and get hammered by the likes of Clutterbuck.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
You can't attribute a team's success to only the GM or only the coach, but when this team is good, I'm much more inclined to think it's because of Shero rather than Hynes. I am genuinely curious about what another coach could get out of this group but it's not that time yet.

There have been a few missteps - Moore, Grabner, drafting McLeod (and we dodged a Shattenkirk bullet) - but Shero's batting percentage is pretty f***ing high when you look around the league.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
every team in this league has issues. the difference between the worst team in the league and the best is tiny. the parity is greater than ever.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
You know I’ve stayed clear of criticizing Shero. Perhaps it was just me giving him some rope or faith or whatever you want to call it. But now really examining this team and and roster after 10 games it’s reasonabke to question his decision making.

I personally didn’t like the Henrique trade from the day it happened. You create a hole in one place to fill one in another. Didn’t make sense to me then, still doesn’t make sense to me now. Especially when the hole you’re creating is at 2C for a team with a supposedly attacking identity. Why would you make this trade while Zacha was still an unproven/unknown commodity? It puts too much pressure on the kid who already wasn’t living up to expectations and now it appears he is busting.

Likewise with the departures from last season. We don’t bring back Gibbons, Maroon, Grabner. Ok understandable in a vacuum, but what was the plan to replace them? Apparently with the way the lineup looks now the only “plan” was to just fill in their spots with AHL plugs. Say what you will about Gibbons and Grabner but they’re probably still a step above anyone of these guys being called up now.

Hybes certainly deserves some blame as well. I don’t think there’s really a whole lot of discipline and structure to his system. I’m wondering if we are like Vegas, where teams look like they’ve figured out how to neutralize our speed and strategy with structure, and it wasn’t that hard to figure out because it really wasn’t all that complicated to begin with.

This team went trough a lot of ups and downs last year and ultimately proved they can win when it mattered at the end of the season, despite all the negative nancies on here who for the better part of the middle 3 months of the season kept insisting it was not a playoff caliber team. But this feels different. 1 win in 7 games where the team doesn’t even look competitive? Almost two lines worth of AHL fodder? This may not really be the same team as last year. And to come full circle with my point, that’s where you have to questions Shero’s performance.

I’m sorry, but if you “still aren’t a fan” of the Vatanen trade, I have no idea what to say to you. That’s a bizarre take.

Henrique isn’t a 2C. He would be just as inadequate in that spot as what we have now.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
every team in this league has issues. the difference between the worst team in the league and the best is tiny. the parity is greater than ever.

LOL...look at Detroits roster. Then look at Tampa's roster.

If you want to say that about the middle of the pack teams, then I can hop on board.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Sadly it looks like an extended losing streak is imminent with how things are going. Making Detroit look good the other night was telling.

We all laughed at Melnyk's Senzzz this past off-season, but right now I see them beating us up in Kanata

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
I have a hard time blaming the defense when our forwards are taking stupid penalty after stupid penalty in the offensive zone. Absolute momentum killers.

Top line has been putting up excellent numbers at home where they can get away from the tougher matchups at times. That has not been the case on the road. Hynes really needs to consider splitting them up.

The team has a chance to turn it around. I need more than 11 games to declare a season over

I don't. No matter the situation, our defense only try to fish around with their stick when the puck is right in the crease. Rarely see them take the body.

Severson saved a goal vs Detroit by tying up the player. I see Mueller do it most of the time.

Lovejoy, Greene, Butcher and Vatanen would be great partners for @Aethon.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I’m sorry, but if you “still aren’t a fan” of the Vatanen trade, I have no idea what to say to you. That’s a bizarre take.

Henrique isn’t a 2C. He would be just as inadequate in that spot as what we have now.

Plus without Vatanen we'd be asking Severson, Santini, or Lovejoy to play his minutes.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
And I don't want to open a can of worms, but I honestly think Palms would be better suited to play on the second line.

He has an elite shot, but other then that, his hockey IQ isn't the best and he always tries to deke around guys and end up losing the puck.

And I absolutely hate when he tries to shoot from those weird angles and the puck goes back the other way

Camille the Eel

No I think we are about to break out. The Islander game was our first reasonably structured game in a couple weeks. Maybe even this season, if you consider the opening couple weeks to have been an extension of pre season maybe.

On the bright side, Mueller, Vats and Sevs have stepped up their play. The development of our younger defensemen is a big thing going forward.

Unfortunately, Butcher is getting exposed as he’s playing more real minutes. A liability just now but he needs to play his way through it.

Nico is blue chip. Amazing 2 way game at this point. Coleman has become an asset.

Also unfortunately I do not trust our goaltending. Eberle should have had a second goal on that post shot late in the 2d. Kinkaid wasn’t square to the puck and left him a lot on the short side to shoot at.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
We can **** a lot on our defenseman, but Mueller and Severson should totally be exempt from any criticism so far.

Severson has been amazing, really, he's making the right plays, and he's doing well defensively.

Mueller is also surprising, considering he's playing against top competition night in and night out and has less then 100 games played in the league.
I would add Vatanen. The workload he is taking is massive.

I am looking at Hockey Reference right now and I don't think the stats include last night's game...but Vatanen is averaging over 23 minutes a night.

At ES Vatanen and Severson are our biggest minute eaters.

Even Strength
Vatanen 16:40
Severson 16:36
Muller 15:50
Greene 15:46
Butcher 13:25
Lovejoy 11:57

All minutes
Vatanen 23:15
Greene 21:07
Severson 19:50
Mueller 18:50
Butcher 18:26
Lovejoy 16:04

Reactions: My3Sons

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
I would add Vatanen. The workload he is taking is massive.

I am looking at Hockey Reference right now and I don't think the stats include last night's game...but Vatanen is averaging over 23 minutes a night.

At ES Vatanen and Severson are our biggest minute eaters.

Even Strength
Vatanen 16:40
Severson 16:36
Muller 15:50
Greene 15:46
Butcher 13:25
Lovejoy 11:57

All minutes
Vatanen 23:15
Greene 21:07
Severson 19:50
Mueller 18:50
Butcher 18:26
Lovejoy 16:04

I'm really on the fence about Vatanen, I often thinks he makes the wrong decisions, he's been pretty average, but I'll give him a pass for playing that many minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad