GDT: Your New Jersey Devils vs. San Jose Sharks, 7 PM, MSGSN

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
They do have a better goalie coach than us.

Evgeni Nabokov is probably better than……….Dave Rogalski……….

Never mind, forgot he isn’t goalie coach anymore. I can’t even remember if he’s still in some other role in the organization or not. Sometimes a goalie coach is promoted by being appointed “head of goaltending whatever” like Bill Ranford with the Kings.
If Marty wanted Rogalski so bad then Fitz should fire his ass and tell Marty to clean up the mess he contributed to. Hell maybe he can bring in Jake Allen and try to repeat the last time Marty served as goalie coach.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
So you're saying Mackenzie Blackwood is a good goalie now, and if we only had his hdsv instead of our goalies, everything is good with the team? You're hilarious.
I’m saying they are currently getting better goaltending than we are. No one ever said Blackwood couldn’t be average for 17 games. The problem with him is he’ll get hurt and then come back a shell of himself. Or at least that was what he did in NJ.

I’m not sure what’s hilarious about saying the team getting the second worst goaltending in the league is getting bad goaltending. Yeah, the system stressing the goalies, blah blah. Not to this degree. This isn’t acceptable.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
I’m saying they are currently getting better goaltending than we are. No one ever said Blackwood couldn’t be average for 17 games. The problem with him is he’ll get hurt and then come back a shell of himself. Or at least that was what he did in NJ.

I’m not sure what’s hilarious about saying the team getting the second worst goaltending in the league is getting bad goaltending. Yeah, the system stressing the goalies, blah blah. Not to this degree. This isn’t acceptable.
Every correlation of poor goalie performance here and better goalie performance elsewhere, no matter how many tenders or teams it involves or anything that is observed, is strictly coincidental and cannot at all be attributed to how the team as a whole plays.

Amazing.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
IMG_2032.jpeg

This gdt

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Some of these wide open cross crease open netters are even outside of the HDC zone. For example Lukes slam dunk OT goal the other night was right on cusp of that zone. We give up tons of those with blown coverage that may not even be tallied as a HDC.

I don’t think we give up a ton of slot and low slot (HDC) but we sure as hell give up a lot of back door plays, missed assignments.

All HDC are not the same, perhaps we need something like Super HDC for this team lol.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Every correlation of poor goalie performance here and better goalie performance elsewhere, no matter how many tenders or teams it involves or anything that is observed, is strictly coincidental and cannot at all be attributed to how the team as a whole plays.

Amazing.
The point was stupid and wrong years ago. Yes, you’re still wrong. Goalie skill exists. Schmid was above water on moneypuck before his catastrophe last game. Vitek was .911 last year and is .879 this year. If he splits the difference that literally might be good enough to make the playoffs.

But no, .879 is average goalie performance for a goalie in Lindy’s system, makes sense. Let’s ignore that even Blackwood at his worst was .892.

Reactions: Guadana

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017

2 years ago we also cycled through what, 6? 8? goalies and all of them were also the worst in the league.

what does it actually take to show that it’s not a coincidence, that the style and the type of chances this team gives up is particularly bad? this conversation does nothing but show that hdsv%/hdcf is flawed.

the other night sal trotted out uncontested chances from the slot, and were near the bottom. no shit our hdsv% is worse if guys are wide open in front of the net! this isn’t particularly hard to figure out.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Sometimes I feel like I need to take a prolonged break from this place because of how invested I am and how my feelings towards the team would be 100x better if I stayed away.

But then I think about watching a game without being on here and it saddens me. Wouldn’t be the same and my experience as a fan would be worse I think.

Last edited:

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey

All the posters are in their usual corners fighting their usual battles with the usual opposition with the the rest of posters coming in and out as support medics for the various factions and throwing support/resupply as needed, or watching the royal battles from the sides.

In other words, a typical NJD HFB day when things start getting hairy in the season.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If Marty wanted Rogalski so bad then Fitz should fire his ass and tell Marty to clean up the mess he contributed to. Hell maybe he can bring in Jake Allen and try to repeat the last time Marty served as goalie coach.
I don’t exactly adore Marty the management person like I did Marty the player.

I also have no emotional attachment to Marty the management/post-playing person like I did Marty the player.

And one of my deepest fears I have, which I probably haven’t brought up on here since Fire Lindy/game 2 of last season when it was suggested Fitz may be on the hot seat was Marty being his successor.

I loathe this possibility more than you know. I don’t want Marty near the general manager role. That usually doesn’t end up well. I would rather see Lou pluck Marty to be his Islanders successor (that would still feel gross though, but it’s a lesser of two evils) than see him as the GM here.

Please. Dear. God. No.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
2 years ago we also cycled through what, 6? 8? goalies and all of them were also the worst in the league.

what does it actually take to show that it’s not a coincidence, that the style and the type of chances this team gives up is particularly bad? this conversation does nothing but show that hdsv%/hdcf is flawed.

the other night sal trotted out uncontested chances from the slot, and were near the bottom. no shit our hdsv% is worse if guys are wide open in front of the net! this isn’t particularly hard to figure out.
IMG_1543.jpeg

Not much needs to be added. I believe goalie skill exists, you guys do not.

Reactions: Zajacs Bowl Cut

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
The point was stupid and wrong years ago. Yes, you’re still wrong. Goalie skill exists. Schmid was above water on moneypuck before his catastrophe last game. Vitek was .911 last year and is .879 this year. If he splits the difference that literally might be good enough to make the playoffs.

But no, .879 is average goalie performance for a goalie in Lindy’s system, makes sense. Let’s ignore that even Blackwood at his worst was .892.
This is just circular reasoning, FFS. How do you think this proves anything other than a symbiotic relationship between skaters and goalie? Vitek had a better save percentage last year, and has the worst in the league this year. Total coincidence that it’s also correlated with how irresponsible the skaters are playing in front of him.

Of course you refuse to acknowledge the pattern, because you have an unquestioning belief in the credibility of HD analysis in spite of what is absurdly obvious from on observational standpoint.

Reactions: PKs Broken Stick

Camille the Eel

"My system is fine. The players just need to execute better".

Idk Lindy...maybe if the players are still struggling, tweak it..simplify it? Anyone can just say they need to do better. And yes, I realize that's just interview talk but like, it's still an issue, so clearly there has been 0 changes from Ruff's side.
The coaches job is always to put in a system that gets the most out of the talent in the dressing room. The feed back loop on that requires the coach to adjust as well as the players.

Reactions: PKs Broken Stick

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
This is just circular reasoning, FFS. How do you think this proves anything other than a symbiotic relationship between skaters and goalie? Vitek had a better save percentage last year, and has the worst in the league this year. Total coincidence that it’s also correlated with how irresponsible the skaters are playing in front of him.

Of course you refuse to acknowledge the pattern, because you have an unquestioning belief in the credibility of HD analysis in spite of what is absurdly obvious from on observational standpoint.
I don’t need to prove anything and I’m actually done talking about this. Obviously the goalies are having a catastrophic effect on this team. And you don’t have a statistical leg to stand on, so stop pretending that you do.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
I don’t need to prove anything and I’m actually done talking about this. Obviously the goalies are having a catastrophic effect on this team. And you don’t have a statistical leg to stand on, so stop pretending that you do.
The stats that could prove or disprove our argument don’t exist. HD analysis is not parsing it out sufficiently. That’s the reality. You’re the one pretending that you have completely credible indisputable stats to prove something.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
All the posters are in their usual corners fighting their usual battles with the usual opposition with the the rest of posters coming in and out as support medics for the various factions and throwing support/resupply as needed, or watching the royal battles from the sides.

In other words, a typical NJD HFB day when things start getting hairy in the season.
Accurate. Also I've been in a complete shitty mood the last couple days, so if I'm coming off more combative I apologize to those who are taking offense.

We're all frustrated because we know this team can be good. We just saw it last year. It sucks to finally have optimism and then have seemingly everything that could go wrong go wrong. Pretty much everything except the PP (which is ironic given it feels we bitch about it every year) needs to be better.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
you’re making this a dumb black and white argument when it’s not.
I am? I missed that. I remember specifically calling out Jack and Luke for their turnovers and Timo on his awful play. The goalie still made zero saves and didn’t give them a chance. Even the coach said as much, and he never does.

I’m not sure how saying the goalies have been very bad and are flushing points down the toilet means I’m saying there’s nothing else wrong with the team. It’s more of a black and white argument to just hand wave away all things goalie related because we give up chances sometimes.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
On four of those five goals, the Devils skaters did not execute. It was mainly boneheaded, lazy play. That is inexcusable, more than the goalie play.

Goal 1 - Horrible turnover by Timo. Should have chipped it up the boards. Did not backcheck and let his assignment have a wide open backdoor goal.

Goal 2 - Deflection. Not much to complain about.

Goal 3 - Terrible turnover by Hughes. I think Schmid could have played it slightly better and not committed as much to the shooter. Perhaps he could have slid over quicker. I don't particularly blame him, as much as I do Hughes here.

Goal 4 - Each of the 3 forwards are behind the play near their opponents Goal line. Why is the Devils left D pinching here? Why does Marino lazily poke check the puck carrier and not contain to allow forward help. Why does Mercer slow down on the back check. It was a nice breakaway play by Duclair. Many more to blame then the goalie.

Goal 5 - Nice breakout play by Sharks. I don't like the weak poke check by Schmid here. Would like for him to get more on it. Luke looked absolutely lost on clearing the crease here. The forwards did not seem to care and backcheck hard. All around, a lot to blame here. This is the one I put blame on Schmid for, but he's not alone.

On top of that, Schmid probably shouldn't have played this game. Who knows if a more energized goalie slides across quicker on Goal 3 or has a better effort on Goal 5. What I do know, is Ruff better rip the players over their lackadaisical play and bone headed turnovers.

Reactions: Bleedred

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
So now Blackwood is better than Vitek, playing for a different team?

I don’t think this citation is disproving anything we are saying lol.

this year? Yes, absolutely he is.

now, how many of those guys are still playing and if they are, what are their stats? You guys that bring this fact up are acting like we had Brodeur, MArty, Hasek, and MAF back there. No, the guys we had that year were terrible goalies for the most part.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010

What's hilarious is that you can't acknowledge that we have played maybe two complete games all season, lost two of our top defenders to free agency and forced everyone up the ladder, are playing a wide open freewheeling style; but somehow it's just bad goaltending and it'll be fixed if we just get the right guy.

When we obviously play bad defense, we've fried what, 11 goalies now in the past couple of years?

Most were already cooked...

I don't think Vitek and a 23 year old Schmidt are washed up though. Unless you along with bleed think that Vitek was hopelessly broken by our complete shit play in the first few games against the Rangers.

My whole point is that nothing changes unless we start playing decent hockey with fewer catastrophic mistakes. We will just fry the next guy after N games if standing on his head.

Reactions: Call Me Al

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Not one person has said the goalie is the ONLY problem. Not one. If they have, find me the post.

But no team in modern NHL history is winning anything with ,885 goaltending consistently. I dont care what the defensive system is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad