GDT: Your New Jersey Devils vs. Los Angeles Kings, 7 PM, MSGSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
It literally came out that Shero wanted to flip Palmieri and ownership stepped in and said they wanted to turn the corner quicker with the guys they had. I don't know why you just argue about shit without knowing. Fitz even put him on the block and then took him off when he said the same as to why Palmieri wasn't traded in 2020 as opposed to 2021.

Find me the source that said that. What the f*** kind of sense does it make that Shero, who went out and acquired multiple players for futures in the summer, would want to tear down the team he had just built? When do GMs get the latitude to do that? 'Well, oops, the team I built is bad, actually, guess I have to rip it down to the studs and start over'. Plus it doesn't track at all with the fact that the Devils traded Coleman a month after Shero was fired - so ownership wanted to keep Palmieri but trade Coleman?

I argue about shit when I think I'm right, and I think I'm right about this.

Reactions: PKs Broken Stick

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Look, I'm one the most anti-Lindy guys you'll find here...but they changed the structure a week ago and every game since they've looked very solid defensively and given up very very few goals with the exception of Vitek's vomitus performance against Calgary. I don't think you can pin this loss on him. 3rd game in 4, 4th in six. These guys aren't robots and no matter what they're not gonna win every game for the rest of the season.

There's a very real chance they can keep playing well like this the rest of the way and still miss. And that's where the real mediocrity of this coaching staff will be exposed. It's unforgiveable that they waited this long to make such obvious adjustments.

Lindy Ruff is like the Minnesota Wild of coaches. Not bad enough to be considered awful, but mediocre enough to never see any real sustained success or reach the mountaintop.

You can ignore 4 of my points I listed but that personnel choice for that 4 on 4 had me scratching my head. Ruff didn't help one bit. Changing the system outside a game and during a week when they had off doesn't inspire a lot of confidence for me

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
I mean it was an indirect reason, Hynes was terrible and ownership wanted the team to compete quicker than they were. The main reason was that Shero wanted to flip Palmieri and a few other guys (right decision btw)in trades in a bad season where ownership thought they could've competed the very next year.

If that was the reason, why were they ok with Fitz continuing the rebuild? I think it's the opossite...Shero wanted to rush the rebuild. I actually don't remember this thing you mentioned about Palmieri and ownership.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
I mean toffoli is great in theory on pp1 if you can use his shot but green doesn’t station him in a spot to use it

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It literally came out that Shero wanted to flip Palmieri and ownership stepped in and said they wanted to turn the corner quicker with the guys they had. I don't know why you just argue about shit without knowing. Fitz even put him on the block and then took him off when he said the same as to why Palmieri wasn't traded in 2020 as opposed to 2021.

None of the teams that Harris owns have had this power struggle, I highly doubt he wanted to be a part of the Devils decision making.
I remember that bit about flipping Palmieri also, but that had to be after the 19-20 season was already lost.

And Fitz was the one in charge by the deadline that year.

johnny pierogi

15 MINUTES OF FAYNE
Aug 11, 2016
Warren County
The thing that was unacceptable about the hissy fit was that he left the Devils 4v5 for 10 seconds while he argued with the ref and glided off, then risked an unsportsmanlike penalty by breaking his stick. He just can't be doing that stuff. It's bullshit that it was matching minors on that Arvidsson hit - incredibly neither Bill nor Ken mentioned that Arvidsson's hit was incredibly late and that the puck was already on another player's stick when Hughes was contacted.

you don't wear the A and act like that. give up on the play to argue with the ref? your teammates notice this shit. its not what a leader does

i want Jack to be here for the next 15+ but he has to get this out of his game

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Worse yet, that was all after he missed an easy layup empty netter. Probably because he was already thinking about how he was going to chirp the official for not calling the penalty...

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if he missed because he was heated still. He isn't exactly a Mark Fayne.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
There is just no threat at the top of pp1

Luke can’t maneuver or get shots through yet

Teams will squeeze Jack and Bratt on end halfway knowing this

That’s where you need Dougie or Nemec

Reactions: glenwo2

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
I mean....he's barely over the drinking age. He's not going to be the most mature player out there. He was completely justified for losing his shit, the officiating in this league is dogshit and negatively impacts players of his caliber disproportionately. I have no issues with his reaction, and it affecting his performance for the rest of the game is not surprising given people his age very often still have a lot of maturing to do.

He was being drapped all over on the out of box rush. It's no wonder he lost his shit. It may not even have been about him missing that great chance.

Eventhough we got a lot of PPs, the kings were taking tons of penalties that weren't even called. Nico was held or interfered heavily in one shift down near low slot. Same with I think Lazar and mercer on other plays. Mercer was practically mugged on the PK shift right before they scored. He ended up getting momentarily hurt because he slammed into boards hard.

Reffing was totally trying to balance out this game both ways. We had makeup calls and they had theirs. I wish they would just set a standard and call the game to it to whatever teams detriment who is legitimately taking the penalties.

I'm also fine with Jack getting fired up. We need that. He wants to win and is frustrated. Cares.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
If that was the reason, why were they ok with Fitz continuing the rebuild? I think it's the opossite...Shero wanted to rush the rebuild. I actually don't remember this thing you mentioned about Palmieri and ownership.

I think one of the reasons why they hired Fitz was that I remember him saying once he was hired that he thought the team wasn't as far people previously thought in house which I always thought was at Shero but it could've been someone else that was removed as well int hat time period. The Palmieri thing was something I remember from Harris's presser right after Shero got fired and him consistently saying that this team doesn't have to wait this long to be good and that the pieces were there to win ASAP.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I remember that bit about flipping Palmieri also, but that had to be after the 19-20 season was already lost.

And Fitz was the one in charge by the deadline that year.

I remember Palms had 2 years left in 19-20 and we all wanted Shero to move as well because Hall just got traded and we knew Palms had max value. Then Fitz came in and put him on the block then didn't get the offers good enough to move unlike Coleman to TB.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
No but the Finnish rookie was actually playing better than 2012 Larsson and got sent down lol

With Sieges back soon even Nemec is at risk now. I don't know what they will do now.

Sit Smith for Sieges? Sit bahl for Sieges? Sit Bastian for smith and Sieges?

Holtz is at risk at this point... He may lose his spot for smith. Haha arghhhh.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Eh I don't think so. I think it's more the owners wanted to be part of the decision making process (and more of a collective process kind of thing) and Shero didn't want any of that. Fitz is all in on that philosophy, he's safe. Until proven otherwise, that's my conviction.
Fitz still has the 112 pt season to lean on and the team’s best players aren’t about to walk out the door. He’ll be given a chance to fix things. In many ways Shero’s fate was tied to Taylor Hall.

Reactions: ZachaFlockaFlame

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Find me the source that said that. What the f*** kind of sense does it make that Shero, who went out and acquired multiple players for futures in the summer, would want to tear down the team he had just built? When do GMs get the latitude to do that? 'Well, oops, the team I built is bad, actually, guess I have to rip it down to the studs and start over'. Plus it doesn't track at all with the fact that the Devils traded Coleman a month after Shero was fired - so ownership wanted to keep Palmieri but trade Coleman?

I argue about shit when I think I'm right, and I think I'm right about this.

Also Hall got traded didn't he? There's no way ownership would've approved that if they wanted to accelerate the rebuild. Can't remember if that was when Shero was still here or not but either way

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Third period penalties were frustrating. If not for the LAK penalty, we would have went four of the last eleven minutes on the PK. The Kings were not generating much high danger chances, especially in the 3rd period. We could have easily continued to play a structured game and at least got one point.

We should always be the favorite in OT with our speed. Part of why we were great last season was OT wins. We have shied away from this, this season.

The 1st goal was a shorty. Another undisciplined goal.

With the great saves Daw made, this game should have been a minimum one point game. To not get any points is frustrating.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
There is just no threat at the top of pp1

Luke can’t maneuver or get shots through yet

Teams will squeeze Jack and Bratt on end halfway knowing this

That’s where you need Dougie or Nemec

It doesn't help Luke doesn't even bother to shoot

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
With Sieges back soon even Nemec is at risk now. I don't know what they will do now.

Nemec is not losing his spot. If Siegs is back Smith will sit. If they need a roster spot VV will go on IR as it has already been a week since he played.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Also Hall got traded didn't he? There's no way ownership would've approved that if they wanted to accelerate the rebuild. Can't remember if that was when Shero was still here or not but either way

Hall was half out the door with his comments earlier in the year and walking into the 19-20 year without an extension + his constant injuries weren't getting a contract from Shero. I don't get why ownership put their foot at Palmieri but apparently it was a thing I remember from that year/era.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Reffing was totally trying to balance out this game both ways. We had makeup calls and they had theirs. I wish they would just set a standard and call the game to it to whatever teams detriment who is legitimately taking the penalties.

I wish they'd just you know...call it how it should be. I guess this whole trying to even out thing is because they know they're incompetent :laugh:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

They won’t do that…Lindy may be an airhead but he’s not literally certifiable. Either Bahl or Miller and his 105 MPH slap shot that always finds goalie pads will be the next to be binned off. Or Smith goes back to forward and it’s bye bye Holtz. But Nemec is going nowhere

Reactions: ZachaFlockaFlame

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Nemec is not losing his spot. If Siegs is back Smith will sit. If they need a roster spot VV will go on IR as it has already been a week since he played.

They won’t do that…Lindy may be an airhead but he’s not literally certifiable. Either Bahl or Miller and his 105 MPH slap shot that always finds goalie pads will be the next to be binned off. Or Smith goes back to forward and it’s bye bye Holtz. But Nemec is going nowhere

I'm with you both. Just hope you are right that Ruff isn't that nuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad