GDT: Your New Jersey Devils (7-2) vs. Arizona Coyotes (0-9-1), 7 PM, MSG+

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Mueller hasn’t been good, but he deserves a bit of rope. I’m going to be baffled if Hynes scratches him after how much he played him tonight.

There’s always a chance a 22 year old, who hasn’t played a full season in the NHL, can get better. Whereas the old guys (#12) have no upside and are getting worse by the day. So we’d be better off playing Mueller than Lovejoy and probably even Prout, as Prout has no future with the team.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
The fight this team has is amazing. Even on a bad night they find ways to create plays and take advantage when they can, tonight on the PP.

What else is amazing is they are winning with any combination of players. We are 8-2 with no Zajac or Boyle, Palmieri has missed games, Johansson missed a game, Cory missed a game, and Greene also. It will be very interesting to see what happens when everyone gets healthy.

One thing is for sure there is no way Coleman or Gibbons should come out of the line up when Boyle and Zajac return. I will also add that the team defense will improve A LOT when those 2 get back on the ice.

EliasFTW

Jan 27, 2009
Utica, NY
Also, did Prout pretty much perfectly screen the ginger on that one Coyote goal?

I could be wrong, but it looked to me like Cory would have made the save, but instead of trying to block the shot by going down, Prout made a perfectly timed, weird ballet move right in front of Cory.

Yeah i only seen the one replay but i am sure Prout wend down on one knee and the puck through his legs

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
The fight this team has is amazing. Even on a bad night they find ways to create plays and take advantage when they can, tonight on the PP.

There was a lot going against the team tonight.

An entire 1st line's worth of forwards was out (Zajac, Palmieri, Johansson)
#1 Defenseman was out
Coyotes desperate to win
Hischier not right
2nd game of a back to back
I was at the arena

But they stayed in it and found a way to win. That's awesome.

Now get back to pounding teams please.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
There was a lot going against the team tonight.

An entire 1st line's worth of forwards was out (Zajac, Palmieri, Johansson)
#1 Defenseman was out
Coyotes desperate to win
Hischier not right
2nd game of a back to back
I was at the arena

But they stayed in it and found a way to win. That's awesome.

Now get back to pounding teams please.

Not to mention the refs blowing a lot of calls

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Also, LOL at that idiot Tyson Nash on the Arizona broadcast whining about a "weak" call when three Coyotes mugged Coleman.
My sympathies.

I'd love to hear his silver linings on the Coyotes start this year.

Bramskii

Jul 23, 2007
Toronto
I have to somewhat agree with bleedred on the whole Cory thing. I won't directly blame him for any particular goal but he needs to make an occasional save and bail the team out at times. It's bad when every time the opposing team enters the zone I get nervous. This is two straight years now of bad play. Is he done? Maybe, maybe not. Unfortunately I don't trust Kinkaid enough to say let's trade Cory. Just have to hope he can bounce back soon.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I have to somewhat agree with bleedred on the whole Cory thing. I won't directly blame him for any particular goal but he needs to make an occasional save and bail the team out at times. It's bad when every time the opposing team enters the zone I get nervous. This is two straight years now of bad play. Is he done? Maybe, maybe not. Unfortunately I don't trust Kinkaid enough to say let's trade Cory. Just have to hope he can bounce back soon.

He made key saves to bail the team out during the 6 on 5.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
Hall is inspired by the young guys; young guys are led by Hall. It’s a beautiful sight to watch.

He seemed pretty rattled last year with the trade then Edmonton finally breaking through.

He is 1000% focused this year though. Love his quote about the Canada trip.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
I kinda feel bad how Arizona lost this game on the PK. I didn't read the reaction on here, but I think it sucks when the other team gets penalized for a questionable hit, when defending their player. Similar to the zacha penalty a few games back.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
He seemed pretty rattled last year with the trade then Edmonton finally breaking through.

He is 1000% focused this year though. Love his quote about the Canada trip.

Hall was great to start the year pre- injury 2016. After he came back, he was underwhelming. He looks back to form, if not better.

Reactions: glenwo2

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I've went and looked at all the goals again, and I'm gonna backtrack on dinging him on the first goal. If I had a better view from the angle from Cory's right of the net, I might still say that was stoppable. I can't tell if that went in his glove and quickly popped out, if it just grazed his glove, or if he swatted at it with his arm and it hit the wrist. Most will ultimately agree this was shoddy rebound control, which is not unusual for a goalie that hasn't played in a week. I usually don't count the rebound goals as bad goals, when assessing a goalie's play, unless it's a really bad rebound. Like one that is basically pushed to the shooter or one that is pushed all the way out into the high slot or something. I'm not gonna say that was a bad goal on him though. And guess who did his usual ''I can't hockey anymore'' routine on that goal? Good old #12.

Most people are gonna get mad at me for dinging him on the second goal, or say we need to credit the shooter on that one. Yes, it's a nice shot. Yes, Prout might have prefectly screened him at the time the shot was coming in, not sure what he was doing there. I know, just because Marty stopped that shot 7-8 out of 10 times in his prime, it doesn't mean a butterfly goalie will. That went in way too clean on his glove hand. He was even set for that one, the only obstruction was Prout going for a weird ass Dan Girardi shot block, on what should have been a fairly stoppable shot.

Third goal wasn't his fault, but it was a stoppable one. And it was Keller, the same guy, who tried to beat him 5-hole again in the 3rd period on a partial breakaway on the Coyotes PP, but Cory stopped it that time.

And with Kinkaid, he's the kind of goalie that looks good when he plays a few games, but when he's playing 3 times in a week, you start to notice the weird goals going in on him too. Like on Friday night against the Senators. Which is why I wasn't calling for Kinkaid tonight, as I don't think he would have helped either.

My short fuse with Cory tonight, mostly stemmed from him allowing at least one stoppable goal in his last 3 or 4 games before tonight. He was very bad against the Senators in that game he last played. I was actually ready to commend Hynes for yanking him in that one, before it was discovered that he left due to injury. I think we're a little early to say he's done, he deserves the fair chance to bounce back. It was one bad year, in his entire career, Marty had a couple down-ish years in the late 90's/early 00's, where he wasn't as good as he had been from 93-98 or 02-10. They weren't terrible years for the early 00's standards, they were pretty league average numbers, as opposed to the early 10's when save percentages were up and they were below average/bad numbers. Ovechkin had a down season last year and even one earlier in the decade. Bobrovsky was trash in 15-16, then came back and won the Vezina. So I think there's still a chance he returns to what he was, but we're gonna need to win some games while only allowing one or two goals at some point. So that's either gonna mean not allowing 30-35 shots or Cory needing to steal one. His first 3 games were very good.

Reactions: haak84

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Give credit to the coyotes for giving their all. But we need to stop the penalties. We’re. Averaging 5 penalties per game, taking 5 just in the first period alone last night. It messes with our lines, tires out our penalty killers and certainly kills any momentum we try and build. They better work on discipline.

severian

Aug 19, 2007
Westfield

He did. Cory was great in the 3rd period. Other than the 2 PPs, the Devils did squat.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Also, LOL at that idiot Tyson Nash on the Arizona broadcast whining about a "weak" call when three Coyotes mugged Coleman.

So happy I don’t have to listen to the other teams broadcast every single game anymore.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Zona's record does not reflect their talent level.

Their sub-par goaltending, especially with Raanta out, is the crux on why they are winless.

They have some nice pieces for future success, led by the ultra smooth and skilled Keller.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I kinda feel bad how Arizona lost this game on the PK. I didn't read the reaction on here, but I think it sucks when the other team gets penalized for a questionable hit, when defending their player. Similar to the zacha penalty a few games back.

Eh, no.

Zona benefited from favorable calls and non-calls all game.

Reactions: Blender

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I don't know how he's still employed. He's been incompetent for years.
The worst part is he does this to us every time he officiates our games. Even if he remained employed, how is this guy still allowed to officiate a Devils game?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Zona's record does not reflect their talent level.

Their sub-par goaltending, especially with Raanta out, is the crux on why they are winless.

They have some nice pieces for future success, led by the ultra smooth and skilled Keller.

Eh we've been reading about their great talent for five years, it's just not there aside Keller and a couple other exceptions. They should have absolutely buried us in the first period, the fact it was 1-1 after they got a million power plays and we sleptwalked through the period doesn't exactly speak well for them.

Eh, no.

Zona benefited from favorable calls and non-calls all game.

Seriously...even Matt was almost beside himself on the radio. The last thing in the world I'm gonna feel bad over is them getting a questionable call against when they had several actual calls that didn't get whistled.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008

It’s ok, they didn’t call Arizona when a player slashed his stick across Hall’s head and missed multiple boarding calls on Arizona.

I was incredulous when Tocchet implies after the game the calls were tough on Arizona when Arizona was getting away with murder much of the night.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
It’s ok, they didn’t call Arizona when a player slashed his stick across Hall’s head and missed multiple boarding calls on Arizona.

I was incredulous when Tocchet implies after the game the calls were tough on Arizona when Arizona was getting away with murder much of the night.
I said earlier in the thread that we only got 25 seconds of power play time tonight. That's a joke and we should have had at least half a dozen power plays.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad