GDT: Your New Jersey Devils (50-21-8, 108 Points, 2nd in Metro) @ Boston Bruins (61-12-5, 127 Points, 1st in Atlantic), 8 PM, ABC/ESPN+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Nico-Hischier-1.jpg

PREVIEW

DEVILS (50-21-8) vs. BRUINS (61-12-5)
TV: 8:00 p.m. ET; Televised on ESPN+
RADIO: 8:00 p.m. ET; Live on Devils Hockey Network

Head-to-Head:

The Devils and Bruins meet for the third and final time this season, and first and only time in Boston. The Bruins won the two previous meetings in Newark that bookended the Christmas break, 4-3 Dec. 23 and 3-1 Dec. 28.
Tomas Tatar and Nico Hischier each have three points (1g-2a) to pace the Devils. David Pastrnak and Patrice Bergeron have two goals in the season series. Pastrnak added an assist for a team-best three points. Goalie Linus Ullmark won both games for the Bruins.

Devils Team Scope:

The Devils are fighting for the top spot in the Metro Division, trailing Carolina by one point (though the Hurricanes have one game in hand). New Jersey is at the same time trying to fend off the New York Rangers for home-ice advantage in a possible First Round matchup. New Jersey holds the No. 2 with a five-point edge on New York.
New Jersey seeks its 51st win of the season, which would tie a franchise record set in the 2008-09 season. The Devils will have three opportunities to tie starting in Boston.

Center Jack Hughes leads the club with 42 goals and 95 points - one behind Patrik Elias (96, 2000-01) for the single season franchise record. Hughes is coming off a four-point game (2g-2a) against Columbus Thursday night. He has a five-game point streak for nine (2g-7a). Defenseman Dougie Hamilton has set career highs offensively with 21 goals, 52 assists and 73 points. He is five points behind Scott Stevens for the single-season franchise record by a blueliner.

Forward Timo Meier scored twice against the Blue Jackets, giving him 40 goals on the year (his first 40-goal campaign). He has nine goals and 13 points in 18 games since being acquired by San Jose. Hughes (42), Meier (40), Nico Hischier (31) and Jesper Bratt (31) give the Devils four 30-plus goal men.
Goaltender Vitek Vanecek posted a career-best 32 wins with a 2.46 goals-against average and .910 save percentage.

Bruins Team Scope:

The Bruins have already locked up the Presidents' Trophy for the best regular-season record and will have home-ice advantage throughout the playoffs.
But what's left to play for his history.

The next Bruins' victory would be their 62nd on the season, which would tie the 1995-96 Detroit Red Wings and 2018-19 Tampa Bay Lightning for the most in NHL history. And with four games remaining on their schedule, Boston could break both totals and leave their mark on league history.

The Bruins are led by the dynamic David Pastrnak, who set career highs with 57 goals and 104 points this season. He ranks second in goals and fifth (tied) in points in the entire NHL. After Pastrnak, Patrice Bergeron (27 goals), Jake DeBrusk (25) and Brad Marchand (20) each have 20-goal seasons.

The Bruins have two defensemen cracking the 50-point barrier in Hampus Lindholm (10g-41a-51pts) and Charlie McAvoy (7g-43a-50pts). But the backbone to the team's success this year has been in goal with Linus Ullmark. The 29-year-old netminder is 38-6-1 with a 1.90 GAA and .937 save percentage. Ullmark's wins, GAA and save percentage ALL lead the NHL.

By the Numbers:

Hughes' opening goal vs. Columbus was his 200th career NHL point. He is the second youngest player in franchise history to reach 200 at 21 years, 327 days old. Muller holds the mark at 21 years, 255 days.
The Bruins have the NHL's No. 1 ranked penalty kill with an 86.9-percent kill rate.

Injuries:

Devils
Lazar (lower-body, day-to-day)
Bernier (hip, LTIR)

Bruins

Krejci (undisclosed)
Forbort (lower-body)
Hall (lower-body)
Foligno (lower-body)

Last Game vs. Boston: (I've time stamped to the Nico goal. No one wants to watch the rest anyway, right? :)

Your New Jersey Devils Projected Lineup:

#90 Tomas Tatar - #13 Nico Hischier (C) - #91 Dawson Mercer
#18 Ondrej Palat (A) - #86 Jack Hughes (A) - #63 Jesper Bratt
#96 Timo Meier - #56 Erik Haula - #70 Jesper Boqvist
#44 Miles Wood - #20 Michael McLeod - #17 Yegor Sharangovich

#88 Kevin Bahl - #7 Dougie Hamilton
#33 Ryan Graves - #6 John Marino
#2 Brendan Smith - #28 Damon Severson

#41 Vitek Vanecek
#29 Mackenzie Blackwood

Team Leaders:

G: Hughes - 42
A: Hughes - 53
P: Hughes - 95
+/-: Tatar - +40
PIM: Wood - 76
PPG: Hughes - 9
SHG: Hischier - 3
GWG: Hischier - 9
W: Vanecek - 32
GAA: Vanecek - 2.46
SV%: Vanecek - .910%

tedlassogifs-roy-kent.gif

Boston Bruins Projected Lineup:

#63 Brad Marchand (A) - #37 Patrice Bergeron (C) - #74 Jake DeBrusk
#59 Tyler Bertuzzi - #18 Pavel Zacha - #88 David Pastrnak
#11 Trent Frederic - #13 Charlie Coyle - #21 Garnet Hathaway
#10 A.J. Greer - #92 Tomas Nosek - #62 Oskar Steen

#81 Dmitry Orlov - #73 Charlie McAvoy
#27 Hampus Lindholm - #25 Brandon Carlo
#48 Matt Grzelcyk - #75 Connor Clifton

#35 Linus Ullmark
#1 Jeremy Swayman

Team Leaders:

G: Pastrnak - 57
A: Pastrnak - 47
P: Pastrnak - 104
+/-: Grzelcyk - +47
PIM: Greer - 104
PPG: Pastrnak - 18
SHG: Bergeron/Nosek/Forbort - 2
GWG: Pastrnak - 11
W: Ullmark - 38
GAA: Ullmark - 1.90
SV%: Ullmark - .937%

ted-lasso-roy-kent.gif

LFGD

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
The Zacha - Haula deal will also be dramatized. Playing with Pasternak was a good deal for Pavel. I’m truly happy to see how he’s progressed this season and Bruins fans have to be happy with the trade. As I am also with Haula here.

Our record with Haula speaks for itself and both teams won this deal.
Zacha sports a team on ice shooting percentage of 13.1% at even strength. He averages 8.0% for his career.

That’s better than Pasternak or McDavid have ever had in their career. Pasternak averages 10.4% for his career as a comparison.

Even with this great amount of good fortune, Zacha didn’t hit the 30 goals or 70 point heights that some people were discussing earlier this year.

This is an outlier season for Zacha and it’s probably just to the level where you can be happy with his raw production in return for the lack of play beyond the raw numbers. I think this is probably the most satisfied any team will be with Zacha ever so it’ll be downhill from here on out.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
the narrative that zacha is breaking out on boston is so frustrating. not even cracking 20 goals on the best team in the league playing with a top 5 offensive talent on his line.

he’s the same exact player benefitting from a better situation and still underwhelming compared to his potential. i’m glad he’s gone and much happier to have haula

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
Zacha sports a team on ice shooting percentage of 13.1% at even strength. He averages 8.0% for his career.

That’s better than Pasternak or McDavid have ever had in their career. Pasternak averages 10.4% for his career as a comparison.

Even with this great amount of good fortune, Zacha didn’t hit the 30 goals or 70 point heights that some people were discussing earlier this year.

This is an outlier season for Zacha and it’s probably just to the level where you can be happy with his raw production in return for the lack of play beyond the raw numbers. I think this is probably the most satisfied any team will be with Zacha ever so it’ll be downhill from here on out.
Wait til the Bruins try to use Pavel as a top two center.

The Grinder

No Respect
Oct 17, 2008
Jefferson, NJ
Boston has a few more chances to break the record against lesser opponents. Boy would a win here be awesome. I want the Devils to have some of that recent Canes and Ranger game’s attention to detail.

Boston has a few more chances to break the record against lesser opponents. Boy would a win here be awesome. I want the Devils to have some of that recent Canes and Ranger game’s attention to detail.

forceten

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Chowdah.

Ingredients:
  • 4 pounds littleneck clams, about 1 2/3 cups cooked and chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, chopped
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 ounces salt pork, finely chopped
  • 2 cups chopped onions
  • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 pounds potatoes, peeled, diced into 1/2 inch cubes
  • 4 1/2 cups clam juice
  • 3 cups fish stock
  • 2 cups light cream
  • Oyster crackers, optional
  1. Clean the clams and place them in a large pot along with the garlic and water. Steam the clams until they open (about 6 to 10 minutes, depending upon their size).

2. Drain and shell the clams, reserving the broth in a bowl.

3. Mince the clam flesh and set aside. Filter the clam broth either through coffee filters or cheesecloth and set aside.

4. In a large, heavy pot slowly render the salt pork. Remove the cracklings and set them aside.

5. Slowly cook the onions in the fat, stirring frequently for about 6 minutes, or until cooked through but not browned.

6. Stir in the flour and cook while stirring continuously for 3 minutes.

7. Add the reserved clam broth and fish stock, and whisk to remove any flour lumps.

8. Bring the liquid to a boil, add the potatoes, lower the heat, and simmer until the potatoes are cooked through (about 15 minutes).

9. Stir in the reserved clams, salt pork cracklings, and light cream. Heat the chowder until it is the temperature you prefer.

10. Serve in large soup bowls with oyster crackers on the side.

Devils win 4-3, with Oyster crackers.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018

you just have proven that pastrnak is a product of zacha. same way rnh carried mcdavid to his most productive season.

zacha for hart (over rnh)

Reactions: My3Sons

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
8pm!?! What is this crap? Just win. Show them our speed and run them into the ground and make them think about not wanting to see us later. Please no breakdowns in our zone leaving people alone in the house. Heads on swivels!!!

Jack 3 pt night and Bahl puts the rat on his butt.
i don't like how you bad mouth rats.

oh, you are talking about marchand

A P P R O V E D

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
you just have proven that pastrnak is a product of zacha. same way rnh carried mcdavid to his most productive season.

zacha for hart (over rnh)
Boston won’t see what they really have in Zacha until after Bergeron and Krecji hang it up and Boston needs Zacha to play a core role rather than a complementary one.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Boston won’t see what they really have in Zacha until after Bergeron and Krecji hang it up and Boston needs Zacha to play a core role rather than a complementary one.
he signed a reasonable extension. even if he only is a 2nd line wing or a 3c, he's deal won't be completely out of place.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
I'll be at the Red Bulls game tonight so I'll be watching on delay.

Hope Jack gets 4 points so he can be at 99 on Tuesday and hit 100 at home.

Also, score a god damn goal already Palat!

LETS GO DEVILS!!!

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Chowdah.

Ingredients:
  • 4 pounds littleneck clams, about 1 2/3 cups cooked and chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, chopped
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 ounces salt pork, finely chopped
  • 2 cups chopped onions
  • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 pounds potatoes, peeled, diced into 1/2 inch cubes
  • 4 1/2 cups clam juice
  • 3 cups fish stock
  • 2 cups light cream
  • Oyster crackers, optional
  1. Clean the clams and place them in a large pot along with the garlic and water. Steam the clams until they open (about 6 to 10 minutes, depending upon their size).

2. Drain and shell the clams, reserving the broth in a bowl.

3. Mince the clam flesh and set aside. Filter the clam broth either through coffee filters or cheesecloth and set aside.

4. In a large, heavy pot slowly render the salt pork. Remove the cracklings and set them aside.

5. Slowly cook the onions in the fat, stirring frequently for about 6 minutes, or until cooked through but not browned.

6. Stir in the flour and cook while stirring continuously for 3 minutes.

7. Add the reserved clam broth and fish stock, and whisk to remove any flour lumps.

8. Bring the liquid to a boil, add the potatoes, lower the heat, and simmer until the potatoes are cooked through (about 15 minutes).

9. Stir in the reserved clams, salt pork cracklings, and light cream. Heat the chowder until it is the temperature you prefer.

10. Serve in large soup bowls with oyster crackers on the side.

Devils win 4-3, with Oyster crackers.

This reminds me when I was in college in Boston there was a huge controversy because a guy won a "Best clam chowder" contest and all he did was use a can College Inn clam chowder and added some fresh clams and pork belly. They debated whether to take the title away and the Boston Globe actually wrote about this.

I don't know what it is like today, I left 26 years ago but when I was there, Boston had to be the worst culinary city in America. Everywhere I went the food absolutely sucked...after making this comment out loud my wife's mother took me to a whole bunch of places on Newbury Street to prove me wrong....still to this very day, the only time I have ever sent back a dish.
Garbage.

North End had some good things , but as someone who is half Italian from NJ the last food type I would want to explore is Italian. Providence at the time seemed to have much better food than Boston.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad