GDT: Your New Jersey Devils (15-22-5) @ The Should Be Hartford Whalers (29-9-2), 7 PM, MSG+

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Just as I thought after the loss to LA (great team they are by the way, coached by an excellent veteran coach who knows how to win. They kept the Flyers from extending their franchise record losing streak today and only beat us and the geriatrics on Long Island on this trip so far) that if we didn't beat Dallas, we were gonna lose out through the break.

Tampa is too good, Carolina is too good (without Pat LaFontaine in nets), Toronto is too good. Will Ottawa and Montreal be too good after the break? Those are our first two games back. Can we beat them? Well, sure we can, but we've lost to Arizona at home already this year, as well as a couple other laughers that I can't even remember off the top of my head, so I'm sure we can lose to Ottawa and Montreal on the road, even if they have zero paying customers in the building.

And then St. Louis after that, who are 14-2-1 in their last 17 homes games (one of those 2 came today though!)? How can Ruff survive all of that? Regardless, he has a toe tag already printed up. Now it's just a question if it's going on him in early February or by early May. If he survives February 10th then he's here till the end of the season.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The only significant injuries now are Bernier and Dougie and Dougie looks to be back soon. I don't even think it's worth listing Blackwood, he's been the worst player on the team and greatest underachiever this year. And we've been covid free the last couple weeks as well. And we're still losing too many f***in games.

But you can't justify bringing him back after this year. How you gonna sell bringing him back? How does he sell bringing himself back? ''Oh, I promise I won't play Blackwood every game that he's dressed for again. I promise we'll fix the power play and it'll be good all year. We were 6th in the league during the month of January. The covid protocols will have changed for the year and we won't have guys missing every game for a month like we did last year. I promise Hughes won't get injured again!''.

I don't completely blame Ruff, but I thought it was a BAD hire from the beginning. If we're not gonna go big then just hire a new guy like Hynes was. I was completely supportive of hiring Hynes at that time. We don't need a retread. If we don't wanna pay for a REAL coach don't pay less for some retread like AV or f***in Yo-Yeo or whoever the Ruff of this offseason is.

Mgd31

Aug 7, 2007
Levittown, NY
The only significant injuries now are Bernier and Dougie and Dougie looks to be back soon. I don't even think it's worth listing Blackwood, he's been the worst player on the team and greatest underachiever this year. And we've been covid free the last couple weeks as well. And we're still losing too many f***in games.

But you can't justify bringing him back after this year. How you gonna sell bringing him back? How does he sell bringing himself back? ''Oh, I promise I won't play Blackwood every game that he's dressed for again. I promise we'll fix the power play and it'll be good all year. We were 6th in the league during the month of January. The covid protocols will have changed for the year and we won't have guys missing every game for a month like we did last year. I promise Hughes won't get injured again!''.

I don't completely blame Ruff, but I thought it was a BAD hire from the beginning. If we're not gonna go big then just hire a new guy like Hynes was. I was completely supportive of hiring Hynes at that time. We don't need a retread. If we don't wanna pay for a REAL coach don't pay less for some retread like AV or f***in Yo-Yeo or whoever the Ruff of this offseason is.

The team is on pace for 70 points, basically double the amounts of losses than wins. He will probably survive the season but no way he gets brought back.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The team is on pace for 70 points, basically double the amounts of losses than wins. He will probably survive the season but no way he gets brought back.
Coaches of teams with no shot at the playoffs rarely get fired after January. Ottawa fired guy Boucher a couple years ago in like March. It happens, it's happened before and it will happen again, but it doesn't happen often. There's a better chance that you'll see a bubble team (Edmonton seems logical, but Holland just won't let go of Tippett and has never made an in-season coaching change in 25 years as a GM) fire their head coach in February onward than a team treading the bottom 5 or close to it.

But this year with the games that have to be made up and the fact the season started a week later than it usually would just to begin with, February 8th is kind of like January 25th-28th this year. So I think if we lose out (and lose the team against the bottom feeders in Eastern Canada) then he might very well be out. If he's in St. Louis on February 10th then chances of him being gone before the season ends are about as thin as what's left of his hair.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Firing Ruff this year doesn't do anything. Move anyone who has any value that isn't going to be here and restart for next year. Find, no matter the cost, a legit goalie and a scoring winger.

Reactions: Better Call Sal

Mgd31

Aug 7, 2007
Levittown, NY
Coaches of teams with no shot at the playoffs rarely get fired after January. Ottawa fired guy Boucher a couple years ago in like March. It happens, it's happened before and it will happen again, but it doesn't happen often. There's a better chance that you'll see a bubble team (Edmonton seems logical, but Holland just won't let go of Tippett and has never made an in-season coaching change in 25 years as a GM) fire their head coach in February onward than a team treading the bottom 5 or close to it.

But this year with the games that have to be made up and the fact the season started a week later than it usually would just to begin with, February 8th is kind of like January 25th-28th this year. So I think if we lose out (and lose the team against the bottom feeders in Eastern Canada) then he might very well be out. If he's in St. Louis on February 10th then chances of him being gone before the season ends are about as thin as what's left of his hair.

Yea I thought if he was going to get fired this season it was going to be during the "Great Reset" but now that he survived that, I think he's good till the offseason. But I'm cool with during the "Olympic Break".

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
We are literally the worst team in the league in everyone's last 10. We have a possibly 4 points. Nobody is worse. Small sample? Eh, it's enough for me to give up. #DontFightGetWright

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I just go to the standing on NHL.com and sort low to high...

That way it looks like we are the 6th best team in the league.

Reactions: OmNomNom

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Seattle .267 P%
Arizona .286
Seattle .372
Buffalo .393
Ottawa 395
NJ .407

As I was typing this I remembered a post someone made around 2015 how buffalo was poised to breakout from all their high picks and had we blown it up sooner and not tried to be mediocre we would be in as good of a position as Buffalo....

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Seattle .267 P%
Arizona .286
Seattle .372
Buffalo .393
Ottawa 395
NJ .407

As I was typing this I remembered a post someone made around 2015 how buffalo was poised to breakout from all their high picks and had we blow it up sooner and not tried to be mediocre we would be in as good of a position as Buffalo....

this list is truly sad. ....just needs some blue jackets to make it complete.

(edit: why 2 seattles)

(edit 2: the lowest is a typo……habs)

Reactions: Bleedred

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
i met some of people from this crew at the bell centre a while back when i went for a devs/habs game (they were also in the same hotel as me)…

….they travel still all geared up to random games for fun…….they deserve better than to have this 'canes cash in' shoved in their faces once a year

HARTFORD WHALERS BOOSTER CLUB

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad