Line Combos: Your lines for game 3?

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
Big moment here. Is Monty going to go full blender, or will he play the game 1 lineup, potentially with different pairings if Peeker is hurt?

Gryz in or out?

Lauko in or out?

Heinen stays on the Pasta line?

Forbort or Spoon or both?

We know what Monty would have done last year. What will he do this year?

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
I'm gonna go first I guess! I wouldn't do it if I was Monty, and I believe he won't. But I'm very curious about:

Marchand-Zacha-Pasta (something has to give with Marchy)

BEECHER - Coyle - Debrusk

Heinen - Geekie - Freddy

Lauko - Boqvist - Maroon

Lauko the shortest of leashes. Play like game 1 or press box. So it's 1 player moving from every line, duos stay the same.

Hampus - Charlie
Forbort - Carlo
Spoon - Shatty

In Toronto I don't want them abusing a Gryz pairing sending 34 over the boards. Forbort on the road!

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Stay steady with the lineup, though I would like some line tweaking. Swapping Geekie and Heinen seems like it might make our top 6 more dangerous as I really like Geekie’s game right now.

At that point I'm probably swapping Beecher or Boquist with Lauko. Those guys play Center and I don't want to just throw Frederic there. For me right now I'm probably moving Beecher up as he has been more crisp and physical in the playoffs. End of season Boquist was great but I'd like to see his playoff game pick up.

On D Forbort replaces Peeke due to injury. I don't love Wotherspoon with Forbort so Shattenkirk stays in.

Geekie Zacha Pasta
Marchand Coyle DeBrusk
Heinen Beecher Frederic
Maroon Bowuist Lauko

Lindholm Mac
Gryz Carlo
Shattenkirk Forbort

Last edited:
Reactions: sarge88

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
Stay steady with the lineup, though I would like some line tweaking. Swapping Geekie and Heinen seems like it might make our top 6 more dangerous as I really like Geekie’s game right now.

At that point I'm probably swapping Beecher or Boquist with Lauko. Those guys play Center and I don't want to just throw Frederic there. For me right now I'm probably moving Beecher up as he has been more crisp and physical in the playoffs. End of season Boquist was great but I'd like to see his playoff game pick up.

On D Forbort replaces Peeke due to injury. I don't love Wotherspoon with Forbort so Shattenkirk goes in.

I suspect you're right and he won't change much. But Forbort in for road games where you have to defend your own net without last change seems wise. PK minutes from Peeke too.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
They absolutely MUST get Marchand going. Your not winning jack if your No.2 F isn't producing. They trust Heinen defensively so flip him and Marchand. Takes some of the defensive shutdown responsibility away from Marchand and get more out of him offensively.

Marchand - Zacha - Pasta - Offensive line 1

Heinen - Coyle - Debrusk - Shut down line

The Geekie/Frederic line could use an injection of speed so I'd put Beecher up there. Their forecheck has been underwhelming and that's simply not good enough for that line.

Beecher - Geekie - Frederic

Lauko back to line 4 with Boqvist and Brazeau if he's healthy, Maroon if he's not

Lauko - Boqvist - Brazeau/Maroon

For the D, Leafs are going to dictate the match-ups on home ice so I'm rolling Lindholm with McAvoy and leaning on them hard. That's what they are being paid for. This isn't out the wheelhouse for top D-men to play heavy minutes.

Lindholm - McAvoy

Then for Carlo's new partner, I'm going with him and Wotherspoon as I don't want Gryz there with the Leafs once again dictating the match-ups.

Wotherspoon - Carlo

I'm assuming Peeke is out and Forbort is still not an option. So I'm rolling Gryz with Shattenkirk and keeping their minutes to a minimum. We've seen successful playoffs teams do this before where they basically shelter their 3rd pair as much as possible.

I'd re-evaluate the D after Game 4 when back on home ice.

I'd also re-jig the PP and go back to one top loaded unit with a right-shot in the bumper like old times. This should open up the main weapon (Pasta's one-timer) more because you now have two shooting options going right-to-left. I'd roll:

Pasta - left half wall

Geekie - right shot bumper (he's has the best right-shot one-timer after Pasta)

Zacha - left shot down low/net front

Marchand - right shot half wall

McAvoy - top of umbrella

Then for the final 30 seconds go with two D-men and start firing from the point with a stronger net front using Maroon or Brazeau (or even JVR if he was dressed over them)

I'd roll Shattenkirk and Gryz as the two point men so it allows the me to come back with McAvoy-Lindholm as soon as possible when EV play resumes.

I'd probably go with Debrusk and Boqvist as the other two forwards on unit 2. Save Coyle for 5 on 5 defensive match-ups and PK duty.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
I suspect you're right and he won't change much. But Forbort in for road games where you have to defend your own net without last change seems wise. PK minutes from Peeke too.
If Peeke were healthy it's not even a question for me. He plays over Forbort 10/10 times at even health.

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
They absolutely MUST get Marchand going. Your not winning jack if your No.2 F isn't producing. They trust Heinen defensively so flip him and Marchand. Takes some of the defensive shutdown responsibility away from Marchand and get more out of him offensively.

Marchand - Zacha - Pasta - Offensive line 1

Heinen - Coyle - Debrusk - Shut down line

The Geekie/Frederic line could use an injection of speed so I'd put Beecher up there. Their forecheck has been underwhelming and that's simply not good enough for that line.

Beecher - Geekie - Frederic

Lauko back to line 4 with Boqvist and Brazeau if he's healthy, Maroon if he's not

Lauko - Boqvist - Brazeau/Maroon

For the D, Leafs are going to dictate the match-ups on home ice so I'm rolling Lindholm with McAvoy and leaning on them hard. That's what they are being paid for. This isn't out the wheelhouse for top D-men to play heavy minutes.

Lindholm - McAvoy

Then for Carlo's new partner, I'm going with him and Wotherspoon as I don't want Gryz there with the Leafs once again dictating the match-ups.

Wotherspoon - Carlo

I'm assuming Peeke is out and Forbort is still not an option. So I'm rolling Gryz with Shattenkirk and keeping their minutes to a minimum. We've seen successful playoffs teams do this before where they basically shelter their 3rd pair as much as possible.

I'd re-evaluate the D after Game 4 when back on home ice.

I'd also re-jig the PP and go back to one top loaded unit with a right-shot in the bumper like old times. This should open up the main weapon (Pasta's one-timer) more because you now have two shooting options going right-to-left. I'd roll:

Pasta - left half wall

Geekie - right shot bumper (he's has the best right-shot one-timer after Pasta)

Zacha - left shot down low/net front

Marchand - right shot half wall

McAvoy - top of umbrella

Then for the final 30 seconds go with two D-men and start firing from the point with a stronger net front using Maroon or Brazeau (or even JVR if he was dressed over them)

I'd roll Shattenkirk and Gryz as the two point men so it allows the me to come back with McAvoy-Lindholm as soon as possible when EV play resumes.

I'd probably go with Debrusk and Boqvist as the other two forwards on unit 2. Save Coyle for 5 on 5 defensive match-ups and PK duty.

I like your ideas, but Gryz-Shatty gives me nightmares on the road, and you'd be exploited with last change every single time.

If Peeke were healthy it's not even a question for me. He plays over Forbort 10/10 times at even health.

We agree

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I like your ideas, but Gryz-Shatty gives me nightmares on the road, and you'd be exploited with last change every single time.

We agree

Problem is it's basically impossible to not get exposed. The 3rd pair has to play some minutes. there isn't a way to re-jig the line-up to completely avoid it. I'm taking a page out of the 2018 Caps and 2015 Hawks who told their 3rd pair to basically get comfortable your only stepping on the ice when its absolutely necessary and putting my 4 best defensive D in my Top 4.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
If I were going to make any changes on the forward lines I would do this:

Marchand-Coyle-Debrusk
Boqvist-Zacha-Pastrnak
Heinen-Geekie-Frederic
Lauko-Beecher-Maroon

On D, no idea what to do if Peeke is out. I'd bet they look to insert Forbort/Wotherspoon though

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
Marchy-Zacha-Pasta
Heinen-Coyle-Debrusk
JVR-Geekie-Freddy
Maroon-Beecher-Boqvist

Lohrei-McAvoy
Lindholm-Carlo
Wortherspoon-Shatty (Shatty-Peeke if Peeke is good)

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Marchand has to play up with Zacha and Pastrnak. The rest just slap together I don’t care. There isn’t enough talent for 2 great lines anyway, so mix and match every 10 minutes or so and see who sticks.

Reactions: goldenblack

gerrycheeversmask

Feb 18, 2021
Behind Enemy Lines
Marchand-Zacha-Pasta
Heinen-Coyle-Debrusk
JVR-Geekie-Frederic
Maroon-Boqvist-Beecher/Lauko (Personally, I'd go with Lauko, but Beecher can win faceoffs, and might even score a goal...)

Lindholm-McAvoy
Lohrei-Carlo
Wortherspoon-Shattenkirk

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
I agree with inserting JVR and shaking up the forward lines.

No doubt Spoons comes in.

Im not saying Gryz deserves to be in- I just cant see them throwing Lohrei into the lions den (all assuming Peeke is out next game):

Gryz-Mac
Lindholm-Carlo
Spoons-Shattmypants

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Big moment here. Is Monty going to go full blender, or will he play the game 1 lineup, potentially with different pairings if Peeker is hurt?

Gryz in or out?

Lauko in or out?

Heinen stays on the Pasta line?

Forbort or Spoon or both?

We know what Monty would have done last year. What will he do this year?
If he sits Lauko he is giving up alot of physicality hoping JVR can make a difference on offense.Lauko has 2nd most hits on team and missed 22 games.That said JVR can pot that puck alot better.Catch 22 in a physical series.

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
I'm gonna go first I guess! I wouldn't do it if I was Monty, and I believe he won't. But I'm very curious about:

Marchand-Zacha-Pasta (something has to give with Marchy)

BEECHER - Coyle - Debrusk

Heinen - Geekie - Freddy

Lauko - Boqvist - Maroon

Lauko the shortest of leashes. Play like game 1 or press box. So it's 1 player moving from every line, duos stay the same.

Hampus - Charlie
Forbort - Carlo
Spoon - Shatty

In Toronto I don't want them abusing a Gryz pairing sending 34 over the boards. Forbort on the road!
Lauko did draw a penalty in the first though.
Basically, he draws penalties and hits. That's about it. Hopefully Brazeau is healthy, would love him swapped in for Lauko. Just go stand infront of Samsonov.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Easy

Same lines but try just a bit harder

Oh and - can your stick away from their bodies and hands always on your stick

Don’t push a leaf playr or they are going to be falling easier then November leaves in New England

Reactions: Donnie Shulzhoffer

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
It is Not Peeke if healthy that would be replaced . The gapping weak links on D are Gryz and Shattenkirk . With Peeke out If ready Forbert is in. Would consider dressing one or both of Lohrei and Wotherspoon if only one of the two sit Gryz

Reactions: JoeIsAStud

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
marchand-beecher pasta
debrusk-zacha-geekie
freddy-coyle-heinen
louko-bovqvist-maroon

lorhei-mcavoy
lindholm-carlo
wotherspoon-shattenkirk

Swayman

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
Minority here but I’d totally toss Lohrei in there, he’s so unconventional back there I feel like it would be the equivalent of throwing a knuckle ball
For who? Gryz or Shattenkirk are the only two options IMO. We can not have three D that are weak in our end in the line up. Not disagreeing with you just wondering who you insert Lohrei to replace.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad