Your Leadership core next season

TheJet11

Nov 8, 2013
If Bozak and Komarov are still around, I can see both wearing a letter. I wouldn't be shocked to see one or both traded though...

If we sign Stamkos, I think he'll be more than capable of coming into the room and fitting right in with the M.O. that Babcock and company have created. I also think they'll commit leadership roles to guys with long-term contracts.

A full offseason with the media, and a training camp flush with renewed expectations should be enough to justify his appointment as Captain. Surround him with other young veteran leaders like Rielly/Kadri and I think you've got an interesting group.

I agree that Kadri may need to try to improve his reputation with league officials, but I like the competitiveness he's shown, and his dedication to the rebuild.

At present, I can see this:
A - Bozak
A - Komarov
A - Rielly

If Stammer is brought in:
C - Stamkos
A - Bozak
A - Rielly

By 2017 I could see:

C - Stamkos
A - Kadri
A - Rielly

And eventually you've got to believe that both Marner and Matthews will take on leadership roles with the club! Often there are quality leaders in the room that don't wear a letter too - because of minimal on-ice roles, or the fact that many young players have to prove themselves a little bit.

Regardless of who ends up wearing letters for us this season, I'm very excited to see what kind of group these guys become!

schenneuf

Jul 4, 2011
So if we don't protect Marincin, then we could possibly lose him for nothing? Not the greatest investment. I like him, hope we don't lose him.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
For a 1-year rental.

Expansion draft is next year before the NHL entry draft, so if we signed him this off-season (and we should), that will be 2 years, not 1.

Not only that, I take it the NHL trade deadline is something you are not aware of? Because teams pay much more then 4th round picks to keep a guy around for a couple of weeks to a couple of months, depending on the success of the team. I wouldn't cry over a 4th round pick if I were you.

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
Hypothetically if Stamkos signed here I would not repeat the Phaneuf mistake.

I would give A's to Stamkos and Rielly full time

I would then rotate the other A between JVR and Kadri. JVR wears it at home and Kadri on the road.

Letters in hockey are overrated. It takes a solid leadership group to help win not just 3 players with letters on their sweaters.

You know who the real leader is MIKE BABCOCK. He runs the ship and the players respect that and get it.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Hypothetically if Stamkos signed here I would not repeat the Phaneuf mistake.

I would give A's to Stamkos and Rielly full time

I would then rotate the other A between JVR and Kadri. JVR wears it at home and Kadri on the road.

Letters in hockey are overrated. It takes a solid leadership group to help win not just 3 players with letters on their sweaters.

You know who the real leader is MIKE BABCOCK. He runs the ship and the players respect that and get it.

I think you made a ton of valid points, solid contribution. I do think that the C could set up Stamkos for failure like it did with Phaneuf.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
the difference between Phaneuf and Stamkos is that everyone says that Phaneuf wasn't suitable to be a captain - and Stamkos is already a captain.

Mar 26, 2010
Stamkos will 100% be the Captain if he signs here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad