Your ideal lines for this season?

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
I get that re: his eligibility last season, and it's too bad that he's either on the NHL club or has to go back to junior for this year, that's the downside of the NHL/CHL deal

No, no, no. This is what you're missing, any OHL player who played 20 AHL games last year is exempted from the CHL agreement. Byfield is allowed to play in the AHL this year. And despite being allowed to play in the AHL, he was going to be on the NHL roster.

But I wasn't under the impression he was a lock for the Kings team this season, at least not in the top 9. And if he's debuting on the 4th line, unless for a really shortened time period, that's not promising, least of all for his development.

He was, his play showed he deserved it and McClellan flat out said it. As for the role....we don't really know what our 2nd or 3rd line is, but the team wasn't going to let him languish on the 4th line all year. He averaged 15 minutes per game in his 6 game call up last year and looked every bit like he fit in.

As for the other forwards, I'm not suggesting any or all are or will be busts, but there's a reason Blake went out and got 3 forwards for his top 9 as this team clearly wants to take a leap forward and none of the youngsters is ready. My concern is that any hope that a few would significantly exceed expectations is in question. And to make the leap to playoff team they will need a few of them to do just that, esp. considering Kopitar and Doughty aren't going to be the stars forever.

If the best this group gets to (outside Byfield, and even he's not a sure thing) is a middle-6 forward or two or four, that won't get it done.

The reason has nothing to do with lack of confidence in the 20 year old prospects and everything to do with the lack of confidence in the 23-28 year old roster players. We have a "lost generation" of players due to trading so many high picks between 2011 - 2016 to try and win cups. The 28 year old Arvidsson and Danault signings are meant to bridge the gap between the 34 and 37 year old Kopitar and Brown and the 19-22 year old gluttony of prospects.

"My concern is that any hope that a few would significantly exceed expectations is in question" - there is no reason for that, the kids are playing outstanding right now, the eye test and their numbers reflect that. The team is simply trying to put the prospects in the best position to succeed while also getting results on the ice.

Reactions: Choralone

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
Kempe--Kopitar--Arvidsson
Iafallo--Danault--Athanasiou
Tkachev--Vilardi--Andersson
Lemieux--Moore--Brown
Wagner, Lizotte
**Kupari to fill in for Athanasiou while he's out**

Anderson--Doughty
Bjornfot--Roy
Edler--Walker
Maatta

Petersen
Quick

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Kopitar/Danault/Vilardi

Not a lot of speed down the middle.

Danault has a powerful stride, but Kopitar and Vilardi are slow.

I think Vilardi is better suited to wing.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
That SKA jersey is sick.

Most importantly, it shows that the correct pronunciation of Tkachev's name is with an O towards the end – not an E. (The spelling/transliteration of the name on the SKA jersey is more precise than on the Kings jersey, too.)

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I wonder what happens when Byfield comes back up. Will Danault perhaps shift to wing?

Turcotte - Kopitar - Kaliyev
Danault - Byfield - Fagemo
Andersson - Vilardi - Tkachev
Lemieux - JAD - Moore

I know, I know. What about Iafallo and Kempe? Where's Brown and Athanasiou? Surely Arvidsson and Lizotte are still here?

tumblr_nnieaodoSg1ut51t4o1_500-1430847861.gif

The Gabe Blade

Jul 9, 2004
Most importantly, it shows that the correct pronunciation of Tkachev's name is with an O towards the end – not an E. (The spelling/transliteration of the name on the SKA jersey is more precise than on the Kings jersey, too.)

My German isn’t very good. Does that give it an “oi” sound?

Reactions: Lt Dan

apocalypse

Dean Lombardi's Yes Man
Mar 20, 2017
Los Angeles
Tkachev Kopitar arvidsson
Kempe danault Moore
Andersson Vivaldi aa
Brown jad grindstone

Take it slow with Byfield. Keep him in the ahl for now. Don't rush him.

Last edited:

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
Kopitar/Danault/Vilardi

Not a lot of speed down the middle.

Danault has a powerful stride, but Kopitar and Vilardi are slow.

I think Vilardi is better suited to wing.

Speed isn't the end all be all with hockey. There's also good positioning and passing. I am glad that Byfield does fill in that checkbox so the Kings can throw different looks at teams.

Once the rookies get some games under their belt, the Kings will have a lot of options to throw at the other team. We were a bit too predictable last year.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
Tkachev Kopitar arvidsson
Kempe danault Moore
Andersson Vivaldi aa
Brown jad grindstone

Take it slow with Byfield. Keep him in the ahl for now. Don't rush him.

Byfield has nothing left to do in the AHL. He's ready for the NHL now. Guy adds such a nice element to this team. Can't wait to see him back. Hopefully December.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Speed isn't the end all be all with hockey. There's also good positioning and passing. I am glad that Byfield does fill in that checkbox so the Kings can throw different looks at teams.

Once the rookies get some games under their belt, the Kings will have a lot of options to throw at the other team. We were a bit too predictable last year.
I didn't say it was.

apocalypse

Dean Lombardi's Yes Man
Mar 20, 2017
Los Angeles
Byfield has nothing left to do in the AHL. He's ready for the NHL now. Guy adds such a nice element to this team. Can't wait to see him back. Hopefully December.
Nope. We said that about Vilardi. Look where he's at. We said that about Kempe. Trash. You gotta let prospects perfect their game at the AHL level. Work out all their kinks. Blake is gonna rush all our prospects and their all gonna be trash. Sucks. Fire Blake.

KingTech

Sep 20, 2020
Arvy kopitar brown
iafallo danault Kaliyev
Tkachev Vilardi L anderson
Lemiuex moore Athanasiou

Kempe trade for a forward prospect and a pick.

Anderson doughty
edler walker
Bjornfoot roy

Clague

Matta traded or waived

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Kopi-Kempe-Arvidsson
Danault-Lias-Tkachev
Vilardi-Moore-Frk-Grundstrom
Byfield-Turcotte-Yafallo-Lemieux...Defense

Bjornfot-Doughty
Andrson-Roy
Edler-Walker
Maatta

Petersen
Quick

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
Throw some darts at some names and go with it, couldn't be worse than what the Kings have been icing

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Tkachev - Kopitar - Kaliev
Anathasiou - Vilardi - Arvidson
Anderson - Kupari - Brown
Lemieux - Danauld - Moore

Anderson - Doughty
Bjornfoot - Walker
Claque - Edler

Peterson - Quick