Your Ideal Back Up Netminder

Tavares2TheRescue

#JreeFroadwayBay
Feb 6, 2010
Champaign, IL/LI, NY
I'd love to retain Neuvirth, although I seriously doubt he would re-sign here for backup money. I think he'll look for a starter job somewhere else. Thomas Greiss is a good, cheap option though.

BroadwayJay*

Not sure, but he'd be a great goalie to go after too. Can't imagine he'd cost more than a 4th round pick through trade anyway. Darling is clearly better, and they have a logjam.

EDIT: One year left, $800k salary $750k cap hit.

Done. Send him our address and tell him to report for trying camp in top condition.

Agreed.

Also, there has been a recent development in goaltending statistics in measuring save percentage in "high danger", "mid danger", and "low danger".

Halak is one of the better "high danger" goalies. So is Rantta.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
How I see Snow playing it is....wait and see who end up without a seat so he has the leaverage to pitch possibly a starting caliber goalie 25-30 starts, 1.5-2mill for 1 year. If a starter like Niemi (example) is on the market after all the starter roles are filled we would be a enticing option for said goalie to prove they can play quality minutes, even with a HEALTHY Halak the backup is getting 25-27 starts. If disaster strikes the backup can find himself back stopping a playoff team.

Great if it works but very risky and then middle of July there is nothing left.

It would also take Greiss.

Last edited:

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
I like curtis mcelhinney alot and wanted him signed last offseason. He does a solid job with CBJ. This season was rough but keep in mind that Columbus was banged up badly.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
With the way the Final is going we might be able to get Crawford :naughty:

I hope NV resigns, since I think he's a good fit here. If not I think we try to get Ramo. I want someone that can challenge Halak and play at least a third of the games this season, possibly more.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
I like curtis mcelhinney alot and wanted him signed last offseason. He does a solid job with CBJ. This season was rough but keep in mind that Columbus was banged up badly.

Pass, he doesn't get through the eye test with me. I think he's nothing more than a Chad Johnson. He's never really been good and when relied upon he flat out stinks.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
*hands to my temples*

My ideal backup netminder is someone who...can comfortably play around 30 games and stop the puck.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Pass, he doesn't get through the eye test with me. I think he's nothing more than a Chad Johnson. He's never really been good and when relied upon he flat out stinks.

I agree. I think he's had one decent stretch over the last couple years, but is a AAAA player in my mind.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Apparently the Wild are having difficulty signing Dubnyk. We should definitely go after him if that's the case. Split the games with Halak and ride the hotter goaltender into the playoffs.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
*hands to my temples*

My ideal backup netminder is someone who...can comfortably play around 30 games and stop the puck.

Some criteria you got. We each have our own, I'd like someone who is clutch and could step up in the event Halak was injured and be leaned on which is why I suggested Ramo and Dubnyk.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Some criteria you got. We each have our own, I'd like someone who is clutch and could step up in the event Halak was injured and be leaned on which is why I suggested Ramo and Dubnyk.

Dubnyk will be looking for a clear cut starter role. A lot would have to go wrong for him to consider a backup role, especially one where'd he behind more a #2 like he would be in Brooklyn and not a 1B like he could get other places.

Ramo will probably be looking for a 1B role as well, but if you could snag him by all means do it.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
How can you say that about only a 1 start sample size last year? Should of gave him 5 games at least.

As much as I've wanted to believe in Poulin, he never really gave us a reason to. I wouldn't feel comfortable with him as our back up. Sure, he could put up better numbers as he's only played one game behind our blueline after the Leds and Boych pickups but is he really the answer?

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
As much as I've wanted to believe in Poulin, he never really gave us a reason to. I wouldn't feel comfortable with him as our back up. Sure, he could put up better numbers as he's only played one game behind our blueline after the Leds and Boych pickups but is he really the answer?

He should be given camp and some pre-season games to see if he can be an NHL quality backup.

My reasoning behind that it is hard to judge a 1 game sample size from last year, and he posted a .912 SV% on a horrible, horrible BP team.

People think goalies can come in right away and dominate... They take a long time to develop. I am not saying this kid has to be the bonafide backup goalie next to Halak, but I am saying he deserves a chance in camp and pre season to see if he can.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Ideal backup goalie is a guy who can come in and win a playoff series in relief. At this point for the Isles, that should be the measuring stick.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
How can you say that about only a 1 start sample size last year? Should of gave him 5 games at least.

I'm not. I'm basing it off of his awful game last season and the four awful seasons before that.

I've watched enough of him. He's not good enough right now and I don't want him on the NHL team.

He should be given camp and some pre-season games to see if he can be an NHL quality backup.

My reasoning behind that it is hard to judge a 1 game sample size from last year, and he posted a .912 SV% on a horrible, horrible BP team.

People think goalies can come in right away and dominate... They take a long time to develop. I am not saying this kid has to be the bonafide backup goalie next to Halak, but I am saying he deserves a chance in camp and pre season to see if he can.

I'm taking a proven goalie over Poulin every day of the week, no matter how much Poulin shows in camp. His .912 SV% in Bridgeport means he'd at best have a .902 SV% in the NHL according to statistics if I'm not mistaken. No thank you, we've had enough of that.

He's 25, playing at the pro level for 5 years...how much more time am I supposed to give him to prove he can be an NHL backup?

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
Ideal backup goalie is a guy who can come in and win a playoff series in relief. At this point for the Isles, that should be the measuring stick.

yeah exactly, sign a good backup goaltender then let poulin compete for a spot, if he's doing well in BP maybe give him a few games w/ the big club to prove himself

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad