Montreal, Canada
So how do you explain Colorado?

Matt Duchene Colorado (2009) 1, 3
Nathan MacKinnon Colorado (2013) 1, 1
Gabriel Landeskog Colorado (2011) 1, 2
Erik Johnson St. Louis (2006) 1, 1
Semyon Varlamov Washington (2006) 1, 23
Patrick Roy

We were that Colorado team the last 2 seasons... overachieving vs the dollars spent.

But this very realistic fanbase expect this team to do that every year! BM is a bad bad GM!

There are no rules, only perceptions.

Of course the Avs payroll will go up, time alone is a guarantee of that occurring, success only accelerates the process.

The point of my original post was rebuilding teams are generally going to be lower in the cap range, if the approach was build through the draft.

Chicago, Pittsburgh and LA weren't at the spending ceiling prior to their young players establishing themselves.

Its the normal cycle of things, unless a GM decides to retool with veterans due to local market conditions.

Which is exactly where the Sens are right now, yet this board talks all kinds of other things :laugh:

Coincidently, the Sens have been below the league average in spending the last 3 years, at the same time of this said "rebuild". People didn't get the memo?

Melnyk's Sens are rebuilding, hence why he is not ready to spend to the cap while doing it. Let's see if his personal stuff don't interfere with future spending in the next few years. Hopefully, they start getting closer to the cap as soon as next year, to fit the long term plans

If we're playing the hindsight game, here's what I said in the summer:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1487549&page=5

Teams rarely improve or diminish in a direct slope. There are often bumps along the way.

Young teams in particular often lack consistency. We have one of the youngest teams in the league, playing without its former leader.

This season is a write-off, but that doesn't mean the team is.

Best post I have read in a while, thank you

Last edited:

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
It's been rumored, but is there any proof that can back up the claim that "it is no secret that Ryan wants to go to Philly"?

http://flyers.thecheckingline.com/b...de-rumors-disgruntled-winger-wants-play-flyer

“For me, if I'm moved, Philadelphia would be a very ideal and comfortable place for me.”

The feeling is mutual with the Flyers organization, as Ryan has been a player that the franchise has coveted for years.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/nhl/ducks/story/2012-06-24/bobby-ryan-rumors/55795006/1
"I heard Anaheim was a little overwhelmed with offers and they only took four seriously, but none of the teams were mentioned to me other than Philly," Ryan said. "Everybody wants to play in your hometown, but it would be tough because a lot of expectations come when you're put into a situation like that. For me, if I'm moved, Philadelphia would be a very ideal and comfortable place for me."

"He's an incredible, one-of-a-kind player," Ryan said. "I'm very fortunate where I am with (Anaheim linemates) Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry when we're together, but Claude Giroux has done things to elevate his team to a new level. If I were to come to Philly, I would love to be alongside him."

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
http://flyers.thecheckingline.com/b...de-rumors-disgruntled-winger-wants-play-flyer

“For me, if I'm moved, Philadelphia would be a very ideal and comfortable place for me.â€

The feeling is mutual with the Flyers organization, as Ryan has been a player that the franchise has coveted for years.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/nhl/ducks/story/2012-06-24/bobby-ryan-rumors/55795006/1
"He's an incredible, one-of-a-kind player," Ryan said. "I'm very fortunate where I am with (Anaheim linemates) Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry when we're together, but Claude Giroux has done things to elevate his team to a new level. If I were to come to Philly, I would love to be alongside him."

If I'm moved Hawaii would be comfortable. I guess that means I'm going to Hawaii!

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
If I'm moved Hawaii would be comfortable. I guess that means I'm going to Hawaii!

Denial is not just a river in Egypt. He said it would be Ideal for him, he also would love to play with Claude, He aslo says everyone wants to play for their home town

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
Denial is not just a river in Egypt. He said it would be Ideal for him, he also would love to play with Claude, He aslo says everyone wants to play for their home town

I guess I should beat the rush and get a Jonathan Toews Winnipeg Jets jersey too, seeing as he said it would be great to play in his home town at some point. Or maybe it is better not to hold my breath.

Almost all players, if not all, would love to play in their home town at some point in their career, yet almost none of them do. Any player would love to play with Giroux, just like any player would love to play with Crosby.

Anyway, pointless discussion. There will be a segment of the fan base who will believe that Ryan will leave regardless of any rational counter argument. It is sort of like the trade Spezza crowd that fills up the boards with posts about moving him every year regardless of whether he is likely to be moved.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
I guess I should beat the rush and get a Jonathan Toews Winnipeg Jets jersey too, seeing as he said it would be great to play in his home town at some point. Or maybe it is better not to hold my breath.

Almost all players, if not all, would love to play in their home town at some point in their career, yet almost none of them do. Any player would love to play with Giroux, just like any player would love to play with Crosby.

Anyway, pointless discussion. There will be a segment of the fan base who will believe that Ryan will leave regardless of any rational counter argument. It is sort of like the trade Spezza crowd that fills up the boards with posts about moving him every year regardless of whether he is likely to be moved.

What's the rational counter, that you would like Hawaii?

reasons for him leaving... sens not good, he and his woman are from the usa, he said he wants to play for his home town, he is a ufa for the first time and get's to explore his options.

reasons for staying?...... sens fans like Ottawa

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa

reasons for him leaving... sens not good, he and his woman are from the usa, he said he wants to play for his home town, he is a ufa for the first time and get's to explore his options.

Reason for staying. Well, if you look across the league at players commanding 6MM+, which he will in his next contract, you see an overwhelming majority being signed by their current team. This year the only exception of note was Vanek, who made it clear very early on that he was going to test the UFA market.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada

He brought up a good argument with Jonathon Toews. He's mentioned plenty of times that its his dream to play for his hometown Jets. But he still re-signed with the Hawks.

Obviously the Hawks are an amazing team but we have no idea what Ryan thinks of the Senators right now and what the future holds for him. Maybe he loves playing with Turris and Mac. Maybe he loves the Elgin Street Diner poutine and can't bear to be without it?

We don't know. Everyone dreams of playing for their hometown as a kid. If Ryan loved Philly so much, why does he make his offseason home in IDAHO?

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
He brought up a good argument with Jonathon Toews. He's mentioned plenty of times that its his dream to play for his hometown Jets. But he still re-signed with the Hawks.

Obviously the Hawks are an amazing team but we have no idea what Ryan thinks of the Senators right now and what the future holds for him. Maybe he loves playing with Turris and Mac. Maybe he loves the Elgin Street Diner poutine and can't bear to be without it?

We don't know. Everyone dreams of playing for their hometown as a kid. If Ryan loved Philly so much, why does he make his offseason home in IDAHO?

My dad lives in Idaho they have many lakes and the weather is fairly nice, lot's of mountains and trees. But besides that I guess we will wait and see, He stated Turris and Mac play well together and acted like he wasn't one of them soo....

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

remember how Nash was destined to play in Toronto yet he chose to resign

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
The Chris Phillips signing just shows how bad of a GM Murray is.

If Bobby Ryan isn't injured... what a one sided trade.

Specifically says he likes the worst defensive corp in the NHL.

Loses a contract holdout to a player with 1 NHL season.

Greening contract is Lulzbad.

My faith in Murray has gone from 0 to -100.

I fully expect Michalek to get a ridiculous contract.

Dont worry though. The prospects are coming! Those average prospects every team has but is actually extra awesome because Murray.

Last edited:

WhiteLight*

I still can't believe the results of this poll

Never ceases to amaze

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
A loud vocal minority is calling for BM's head, the average fan blames Melnyk and think BM can get the job done. It actually sounds just about right.

unless melnyk is telling murray what he can and can't do at every move the past 6 years, then bm is a terrible gm. just look at the coaches he has hired. no wonder melnyk tried to step in and hire cameron as hc.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
unless melnyk is telling murray what he can and can't do at every move the past 6 years, then bm is a terrible gm. just look at the coaches he has hired. no wonder melnyk tried to step in and hire cameron as hc.

Not sure why you quoted me here. You already said the same thing several times in this thread, and I just went over what the poll said.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad