Olympics: Your country's best player so far in tourney?

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Patrick Marleau - Joe Thornton - Dany Heatley
Duncan Keith - Shea Weber

Our best players so far.

I'm still waiting for Rick Nash to wake up...

13 others

Apr 18, 2007
Patrick Marleau - Joe Thornton - Dany Heatley
Duncan Keith - Shea Weber

Our best players so far.

I'm still waiting for Rick Nash to wake up...

Nash hasnt scored yet but he has played decent IMO. He was driving to the net with reckless abandon and speed against the Swiss. Guy is a beast when he does that and has shown that in the WC.

Im waiting for Thorton to make himself visable.

Blades of Glory

Troll Captain
Feb 12, 2006
California
Im waiting for Thorton to make himself visable.

Then you need to open your eyes. Thornton has been one of Canada's best players, on both sides of the ice. Even most of your fellow Canadians will admit that. There seems to be an incorrect notion that Thornton needs to produce massive amounts of points to have a "good" game. He does not. The Joe Thornton that has shown up in the first two games is far more effective than the Joe Thornton who will put up 3 points a game along with 3 terrible turnovers. He created a ton of chances and his big hit set up one of Canada's goals.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Wow..stupid that so many posters think this is a joke thread and put "funny" suggestions up for best player so far. Don't get where these wiseasses come from...
Anyways...heres my take so far:
Germany: Disapointing but Greiss
USA: Backes has been a revelation in my eyes. Miller has been solid, I get the feeling with all those odd man ruses, Esche would have let some in back in 06.
Canada: I liked Heatley's game so far.
Switzterland: Hiller, obviously.
Norway: Honestly, that whole team has impressed me. I can't pick one because I have been impressed with everyone. They have played their hearts out from the second the puck dropped in Game 1.
Russia: Disapointing in general, need to see another game to decide. Fedorov perhaps?
Czech: Jagr hands sown.
Sweden: I've liked the Sedin brothers, no surprise that they look comfortable here.

I can't list Slovakia or Finland as I havent seen enough of either. Hope to get a closer look tomorow and Monday.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Then you need to open your eyes. Thornton has been one of Canada's best players, on both sides of the ice. Even most of your fellow Canadians will admit that. There seems to be an incorrect notion that Thornton needs to produce massive amounts of points to have a "good" game. He does not. The Joe Thornton that has shown up in the first two games is far more effective than the Joe Thornton who will put up 3 points a game along with 3 terrible turnovers. He created a ton of chances and his big hit set up one of Canada's goals.

Agree with this, he hasn't been the best player for Canada yet in my mind but he has been thoroughly effective....remember the Thornton we see this year as I feel he is going to be at his apex in this Olympics.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
If I only get to pick one for Sweden, it's Lidstrom. So calm, composed and positionally sound. HM to Alfie and Franzenstein.

sub_zero94

Jan 26, 2007
Jaroslav Halak and Pavol Demitra would be obvious choices. I feel though that Marian Hossa is the glue that holds everything together.

Handzus is the key to your team imo, like he is one of the keys to the Kings

MJAYK

Jan 19, 2010
Dances with the wolves
We've got alot of player's who have done well so far. Honorable mention to Jarkko "Catching glove" Ruutu. I was happily surprised with Bäckström's performance aswell.

two out of three*

Backes probably for the U.S.

I do know Ryan Miller hasn't been the best player, and he kinda scares me with some of the goals that have gotten past him going into the Canada game..

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
We've got alot of player's who have done well so far. Honorable mention to Jarkko "Catching glove" Ruutu. I was happily surprised with Bäckström's performance aswell.

Yep that was a beauty one and Vancouver crowd gave nice applauses :handclap:

Crimson Devil*

Besides that one mistake and getting benched for it, Drew Doughty.

Chicagofan19

Oct 31, 2007
Ã…rhus, Denmark
usa: backes, kessel
can: little bit disappointning in total, but yeah, heatley!
rus: disappointing, but bryz
cze: jagr
slk: handzus, stümpel, marian hossa (in that order)
lat: vasiljevs
bel: kaluzhny
fin: t.ruutu, selänne, m.koivu, timonen
swe: the ugly twins, henk
nor: zuccarello-aasen, vikingstad, thoresen, tollefsen, hansen... :clap:
ger: disappointing, but m.goc and d.seidenberg, + greiss vs. swe
sui: wick, hiller, diaz, blindenbacher, sannitz, plüss... i like their speedy style :yo:

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
usa: backes, kessel
can: little bit disappointning in total, but yeah, heatley!
rus: disappointing, but bryz
cze: jagr
slk: handzus, stümpel, marian hossa (in that order)
lat: vasiljevs
bel: kaluzhny
fin: t.ruutu, selänne, m.koivu, timonen
swe: the ugly twins, henk
nor: zuccarello-aasen, vikingstad, thoresen, tollefsen, hansen... :clap:
ger: disappointing, but m.goc and d.seidenberg, + greiss vs. swe
sui: wick, hiller, diaz, blindenbacher, sannitz, plüss... i like their speedy style :yo:

It´s been different in every game, but overall I´m definitely missing Halák there, also Demitra, especially against Russia, I´ve liked him more than Hossa so far and stumpel was great only against Latvia. Handzuš just like on kings, pretty much our favourite unsung hero.

Chicagofan19

Oct 31, 2007
Ã…rhus, Denmark
It´s been different in every game, but overall I´m definitely missing Halák there, also Demitra, especially against Russia, I´ve liked him more than Hossa so far and stumpel was great only against Latvia. Handzuš just like on kings, pretty much our favourite unsung hero.

oh yeah, halak and demitra shouldn't be forgotten, you are right. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad