Your Choice : Rangers or Devs?

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
On your report card, did it say "doesnt follow the rules"?

I remember posts here last spring from people rooting for the Rangers over the Penguins. I kid you not.

nowinscenarios.jpg

It's true. It may be a function of hfboards, but Rangers fans aren't nearly as obnoxious as Penguins fans, in general.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
There is no team in the sports world I hate more than the Rags.

DP once tweeted out something in a response to a ? asked by a fan if the players hate the rags as much as the fans do and he said, "Hate is nowhere near a strong enough word to describe my feelings towards those guys."

How dare you bring THAT ONE a mention in one of my posts.

Just reading that, I almost injured myself.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
I would patiently wait (and wait) for the Hartford Whalers to return and bring back "Brass Bonanza" with them!

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
If I had a gun to my head and had to pick, The Devils hands down. I can't bring myself to root for the Rangers unless it helps us somehow for standings positioning.

Now, if I didn't have a gun to my head, neither team.

Axe Man

Sponsor
Jul 31, 2009
Nearby
Since I have no interest in rooting for either team I would either stop watching hockey altogether or wait for another team to raise my interest. It would probably be an out of market team.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I thought your "poor taste" joke was funny. I dont get why people get so beat up over harmless jokes. Who did it hurt. Its clearly an exaggeration.

Thanks. I thought it was clear enough where I was going with that....

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
I was a Rangers fan growing up which I inherited from my Dad. He lived through the Islanders dynasty years but never really developed a hatred for them. More of a mutual respect, I guess. He used to tell me what a mean SOB Potvin was, etc. etc.

Anyway, he was a die-hard Ranger fan but was always bothered by the fact that the Rangers never developed their own talent. (It was like rooting for a jersey as Seinfeld would say.) I guess that view was instilled in me. But he had been following them since the 50's and didn't want to give up until they won a cup. The opposite of a fair-weather fan I guess. The cup came in '94 (as everyone here is aware :laugh:); after that we decided it was time to go. We wanted to follow a team that developed their own talent rather than buying it, so over to blue and orange we went. Ironically that spanned the Milbury sell-all-your-prospects era. (It's been a rough 20 years in Islander country.:cry:)

So the Islanders are by far my #1 team, but I still like the Rangers and root for them when they aren't playing us.

Devils on the other hand I just never really liked. I just find them kinda boring.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I'd rather crush a nut by putting my bag on a stump and smashing it with a sledgehammer than be 1% of a Rags fan.

There - that's a better visual.

I don't hold the Devils in particularly high esteem, but as there's no chance I would ever be a Rags fan - ever - the answer to this question is fairly easy.

When my son was 3 years old, just to be a contrarian, he came home from Build a Bear with his grandmother (who apparently didn't know any better) with a stuffed dog in a Patriots uniform. My wife urged me to laugh it off, primarily because if I made a big deal about it, it would be worse. And soon, that dog just got tossed in the bin with the other dozens of stuffed animals and rarely came out.

As much as I hate the Pats, there's simply no chance that any type of Rags paraphenalia would make it into our home no matter what. If my kids wanted to root for the Yankees instead of the Mets - OK. If they choose the Giants over the Jets....fine, its understandable. But, they are simply not allowed to root for the Rangers. It just ain't happening. And as we live in Manhattan and they are surrounded by Blue Shirts (especially during their Cup run) its been a daunting task. But my 7 year old wears his Islanders backpack to his NYC public school every day, with pride, and gets heckled by.....the Dads! The kids don't know any better.

Hopefully after this season, they will realize that the Islanders will be a team to be reckoned with the long term and there will be some (hopefully good natured) battles on the school yard.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
When my son was 3 years old, just to be a contrarian, he came home from Build a Bear with his grandmother (who apparently didn't know any better) with a stuffed dog in a Patriots uniform. My wife urged me to laugh it off, primarily because if I made a big deal about it, it would be worse. And soon, that dog just got tossed in the bin with the other dozens of stuffed animals and rarely came out.

Your 3 year old is a contrarian?!?! Good luck!:laugh:

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
I decided long ago that if the isles moved (far enough away not to be the Islanders anymore) i would be done with NHL hockey.

there is no way i could ever cheer for the devils, and the thought of cheering for the Rangers is just rediculous.

I guess the Devils, but I'd probably just be so upset that I wouldn't watch any hockey for a good long while.

Neither. Probably the Blues, they've always been my western conference horse. Or the avalanche

Devils... But I would probably become a fan of a random team like the Stars or St. Louis

Hockey would not be the same if the isles fell off the planet

Since I have no interest in rooting for either team I would either stop watching hockey altogether or wait for another team to raise my interest. It would probably be an out of market team.

All of these answers would do for me.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
If I put on a Rag$ jersey, I believe my skin would boil off. At a minimum, I assume I would end up with shingles or a similar severe rash, lol.

Islespuck89

Jan 9, 2012
NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS WOULD I BE A RAGS FAN!.

I had this thought a few years back on if the Isles moved who would I root for.

Rags,Devils,Flyers,Bruins,Caps all under 5 hours but would never root for any of them. I determined I would be a Sabres (same state) or Canadians (closest drive). I think I would of choose the Sabres as they are still in the USA.

Islanders1932

Jul 16, 2006
Long Island
www.beyondthetestprep.com
If it's only between the Devils and the Rangers this is the easiest question in the world. The Devils. I'd never root for the Rangers. I currently watch Rangers games on tv just to root against them.

However, if there was an option where the Islanders disappeared I'd probably root for a west coast team like the Kings or Ducks because I have to work late nights a lot for my job and this would allow me to follow almost all of their games from the East coast.

AndThereGoesGrabner*

My son played for the Bayonne Rangers Travel team the past 4 years, and seeing him wear a Rangers style jersey has made my stomach churn for years now. Well, as a good father, I managed to brainwash my kid to be a die-hard Isles fan. So,my kid wears nothing but Isles shirts and socks under his Ranger jersey & he refuses to wash it. For a few occasion, he gets questioned for his Isles allegence by some new kid, he in turn during scrimmages absolutely checks the crap out of that kid and yells Lets Go Islanders! My kid happenly is the Scott Stevens of his Team & the toughest kid on the ice.

I would never ever put anyone to the punishment of ever rooting for a fake franchise like the Rangers! Go Devils in that case!!

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
i honestly dont even hate the devils that much, not much bad blood between us and them honestly. rags on the other hand......

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad