Your Choice : Rangers or Devs?

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
I just had a fun convo with a co-worker. He's a hard core Rangers fan (one of the good ones) and we were discussing the state of both teams.

Eventually we got to arenas, new and old etc. I mentioned how I've never been to the Dev's new arena, but I heard it was nice -- but then I just can't watch that team for whatever reason.

If the Isles disappeared off the face of the earth, and you had to choose b/t being a fan of the Rangers or Devils, which one would you choose?

I can't stand the Devils -- and I don't know exactly why. Is it the miserable sounding announcers? Boring team? Boring play? The fact that they killed hockey? Horrible jerseys? Just that they are in NJ? I don't know.

It's bizarre-- even when I pass their games on MSG, I try to watch the games. I just can't and end up grabbing the remote within 5 minutes to put on Jeopardy.

On the other hand, we have the Rangers. I can't go to the dark side. NO WAY.

WWYD?

Last edited:

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
bones, i know youre a good fan, but i just lost a bit of respect for your fanhood due to this thread....its not even a question....i hope the rangers dont win another game for the rest of eternity

i choose the devils over the rangers 1,940 times

Islanderfan17

Aug 24, 2010
bones, i know youre a good fan, but i just lost a bit of respect for your fanhood due to this thread....its not even a question....i hope the rangers dont win another game for the rest of eternity

i choose the devils over the rangers 1,940 times

This. I've never had a problem with the Devs, they have good fans and I've actually liked some of their teams over the years. Also, they have GREAT jerseys. I actually think that the Rangers play really boring Hockey as well. Haven't found them exciting to watch since Jagr was on their team.

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
I'd rather die.

Just kidding... but I love my Islanders.

Kovalchuk was one of my favorite hockey players until his random retirement. I just really liked his style of play, and I found myself rooting for the Devils when they made the playoffs with him during that cup year when they lost to the Kings. I found myself rooting more for Ilya... So I guess the Devils but I am a die hard Islander fan

Bexlyspeed

May 21, 2011
Astoria, Queens, N.Y
I decided long ago that if the isles moved (far enough away not to be the Islanders anymore) i would be done with NHL hockey.

there is no way i could ever cheer for the devils, and the thought of cheering for the Rangers is just rediculous.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
there are teams that I do not like in sports like the patriots or the phillies, but the rangers are in a different stratosphere. They are the only team in sports that I HATE with every fiber of my body (and I do not use that term lightly however irrational it may be). I thought that was a given if you were an Islander fan that you have to dislike the rangers. Too much history.. go to any ranger game and you will hear the potvin sucks chant.

The devils bore me due to their style but I have always rooted for them relative to the rest of our division (rangers, flyers, pens, caps etc)… the enemy of my enemy is my friend, and I enjoy how Islanders and devils fans unite against the arrogant team with all the money that has been able to buy only 1 cup in 74 years.. and don't get me started on their fans most of whom can't name 3 players on their own team yet will feel compelled to make comments to anyone in any Isles gear..

Last edited:

Drcrush

Jun 13, 2012
What kind of a question is this?? =)

I'd take the Devils over Rags everyday and twice on sundays...

Deadweight

Apr 20, 2014
New York, NY
if i ever become a ranger fan someone please send me to a mental hospital. When we had to think about what we would do if the isles moved away i decided i would stay a fan of them wherever they moved to. Of course i would rarely make it to a game, but i would buy center ice and gamecenter and watch their games. I couldnt root for anyone from the previous "atlantic division", which is now half the metro

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
If NYI ceased to exist, I'd become a Habs fan because I love Montreal and don't like Boston.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
If NYI ceased to exist, I'd become a Habs fan because I love Montreal and don't like Boston.

On your report card, did it say "doesnt follow the rules"?

I remember posts here last spring from people rooting for the Rangers over the Penguins. I kid you not.

dv92

Jun 30, 2014
Devils over Rags any day. Since I live in South FL though I would probably root for the Lightning over either of those teams. That would be the end of the world if the Isles disappeared! :cry:

lazycop

Dave's not here.
Mar 25, 2006
I'd just as soon light myself on fire than root for the rags.

I'd probably just root for whoevers playing them. Devils don't interest me at all.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Reluctantly the Devils. Plus I prefer to stay away from the overhyped NYC sports scene. The moment I hear anyone talk about any city team I immediately drop them a few iq points when they rehash ridiculous points made on boomer and carton and francesa(which is about 99% of fans from around here).

bstash19

Apr 8, 2012
long island
i always thought if the isles moved, id have to follow the other ny team, the sabres, but after seeing the interactions with their fans after the vanek trade. ill pass.

devils vs the rangers, id take the devils.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
I'd just as soon light myself on fire than root for the rags.

I'd probably just root for whoevers playing them. Devils don't interest me at all.

This. Ill agree with this statement 100%.

I just have no interest in the Devils..

But why is that?

NYCoolRunner

Apr 8, 2011
I am definitely not a Devils fan, but I'd rather get a Devils tattoo than have to root for the Rangers. Devils all day.

JTforPres2012

Feb 12, 2012
There is no team in the sports world I hate more than the Rags.

DP once tweeted out something in a response to a ? asked by a fan if the players hate the rags as much as the fans do and he said, "Hate is nowhere near a strong enough word to describe my feelings towards those guys."

crasherino

May 9, 2013
There is no team in the sports world I hate more than the Rags.

DP once tweeted out something in a response to a ? asked by a fan if the players hate the rags as much as the fans do and he said, "Hate is nowhere near a strong enough word to describe my feelings towards those guys."

I love hearing about players hating their rivals. Too often in sports, its just business to the players and they don't fully have their heart in it. I hate seeing football players yucking it up on the field before and after the game with the other guys. I fully understand that they are friends with guys around the league, but I just don't want to see it. And of course there are guys on the Islanders who are friends with guys on the Rags, but I like to hear the disdain that long time Islanders have for that Blue Sweater. I think its a bit different now, but when DP was playing, every game against them was a brawl.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad