Your Choice : Rangers or Devs?

Wanderson

Aug 1, 2011
Rags or Devils? None. There is 27 other teams in the NHL, excluding the Islanders.

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
I can get along with Devils fans. That being said, coming from western PA, I guess you could say that while "the enemy of my enemy is my friend," I have no clue who to root against when they play each other. I have developed hate on a genetic level towards PIT homers, while I run into Rangers homers far less frequently.

I couldn't support another team so quick if there were no New York Islanders, but I'd eventually come around to the Stars (living in Austin) or Senators (my old man lived in Western Quebec.) I'd still root for the Rangers to get hit by lightning while the Penguins were eaten by sharks.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Devils easy. A buddy of mine is finally breaking into the league with them so I now have a bit of a soft spot.

scott99

May 13, 2005
thats because their broadcast team sucks.

Yeah, Once Doc Emerick left the Devils, I can't stand watching the Devils. The new guy is unbearable, just a high screeching voice when they score, sounds like an annoying little kid. I know some folks here dislike Emerick, but he's one of my favorite hockey announcers ever, probably behind Jiggs and Howie as my third favorite in the Tristate area. I love the way he calls the game. I adopted the Devils as my 2nd favorite hockey team in 1982 when they came from Colorado, and enjoyed their Cup years, since the Islanders typically weren't in the playoffs at the same time.

Isles5513

Please don't lose
May 18, 2014
Long Island
My son played for the Bayonne Rangers Travel team the past 4 years, and seeing him wear a Rangers style jersey has made my stomach churn for years now. Well, as a good father, I managed to brainwash my kid to be a die-hard Isles fan. So,my kid wears nothing but Isles shirts and socks under his Ranger jersey & he refuses to wash it. For a few occasion, he gets questioned for his Isles allegence by some new kid, he in turn during scrimmages absolutely checks the crap out of that kid and yells Lets Go Islanders! My kid happenly is the Scott Stevens of his Team & the toughest kid on the ice.

I would never ever put anyone to the punishment of ever rooting for a fake franchise like the Rangers! Go Devils in that case!!

You did well!

Nyifan12

Oct 1, 2011
I just had a fun convo with a co-worker. He's a hard core Rangers fan (one of the good ones) and we were discussing the state of both teams.

Eventually we got to arenas, new and old etc. I mentioned how I've never been to the Dev's new arena, but I heard it was nice -- but then I just can't watch that team for whatever reason.

If the Isles disappeared off the face of the earth, and you had to choose b/t being a fan of the Rangers or Devils, which one would you choose?

I can't stand the Devils -- and I don't know exactly why. Is it the miserable sounding announcers? Boring team? Boring play? The fact that they killed hockey? Horrible jerseys? Just that they are in NJ? I don't know.

It's bizarre-- even when I pass their games on MSG, I try to watch the games. I just can't and end up grabbing the remote within 5 minutes to put on Jeopardy.

On the other hand, we have the Rangers. I can't go to the dark side. NO WAY.

WWYD?

The Devils without question.... to think otherwise shows that one does not get it.

If I could choose an outside team, probably the LA Kings

thegoldenyear

RIP Mike Bossy
May 13, 2013
Toronto
Most hated teams are, in order: PITT, Rags, Flyers, Caps. No surprise, given how long they've been division rivals.

But I am not conflicted: when PITT play NYR, I just suppress my hatred and root for a Ranger win. I was delighted when they advanced to the CF last spring...for about 10 minutes. Then I was disgusted all over again. But that's fandom. It seldom allows for variances.

Never had a problem with Rockies/Devils. They had Chico and Lanny, two of my early favourites. And the Devs have pretty much been my surrogate Patrick team since Brodeur came up.

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
Most hated teams are, in order: PITT, Rags, Flyers, Caps. No surprise, given how long they've been division rivals.

But I am not conflicted: when PITT play NYR, I just suppress my hatred and root for a Ranger win. I was delighted when they advanced to the CF last spring...for about 10 minutes. Then I was disgusted all over again.
But that's fandom. It seldom allows for variances.

Never had a problem with Rockies/Devils. They had Chico and Lanny, two of my early favourites. And the Devs have pretty much been my surrogate Patrick team since Brodeur came up.

I feel almost exactly the same. I love a PIT loss even at the risk of an NYR or PHI win.

The 24-7 Pens/Caps series seems to have made me distance the current squad from Hunter;s jackassery. I hate their old team, but unless we play them, they're vanilla to me now.

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
Blue Jackets. I was already prepared for this scenario if Wang had never made the deal to Brooklyn. I went to Ohio State so there's some roots there and we have the least history with them in the division.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I would follow the Islanders to any part of the globe with my loyalty. I would never become a Devs or Rags fan. Not in a million years man...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad