GDT: YOUR CAROLINA HURRICANES play outdoors in the "PNC Football Arena...or whatever it is"!

htdoc

Oct 30, 2018
Other than some of the inane commentators and the idiot production call to shift away from the storm surge I was impressed with the production quality of the spectacle. It looked good on TV and I’m sure it was a fun in person experience.

the game play was pretty good as well :). Nice to get a good solid win for the crowd..

Dundon has to be smiling…. The most expensive average ticket price in stadium series history and the most expensive average ticket price in carter Finley history even more than The Rolling Stones…. Dundon be laughing all the way to the bank with that 17 million min in ticket revenue from one game…wonder how concession sales and ancillary sales on jerseys and such added to the total bottom line.…

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
A truly staggering level of incompetence. Not gonna bother me that much though!

It makes me unbelievably upset. I was at the game, I wanted to be there for the storm surge and after-game festivities, and we left EARLY because my group was fearful of the traffic. I thought that it was selfish beyond belief, but I didn't fight it because I thought that they would show everything on TV. A part of me just knew that national hockey media was a bunch of incompetent imbeciles and wouldn't show the surge.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Thank you for this. That cutaway to the crowd was the dumbest f***ing thing they could have done in the moment, and damn it, they did it.

I don't know if it's pure incompetence or if it's resentment about our existence. Irregardless, it's economic malpractice from our NHL news media. Do you want to grow the game or not? Apparently they don't want the game to actually grow.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Also quick rant, TopGolf didn't even bother to show the game. All their TVs were tuned to the NBA All-Star nonsense.

I mean, I had other things occupying our 2 hours there (and 1 hour of game time) but it's very disappointing that no one seemed to know. Be curious to see what the ratings locally are.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Other than some of the inane commentators and the idiot production call to shift away from the storm surge I was impressed with the production quality of the spectacle. It looked good on TV and I’m sure it was a fun in person experience.

the game play was pretty good as well :). Nice to get a good solid win for the crowd..

Dundon has to be smiling…. The most expensive average ticket price in stadium series history and the most expensive average ticket price in carter Finley history even more than The Rolling Stones…. Dundon be laughing all the way to the bank with that 17 million min in ticket revenue from one game…wonder how concession sales and ancillary sales on jerseys and such added to the total bottom line.…

I wonder how much of that $17m the Canes actually receive from the ticket sales? A significant portion has to go to the Caps and I'm sure the league takes a cut. Aren't even regular gate receipts for a team shared to some extent across the league? I seem to recall some Leafs fans bitching about "subsidizing" teams like the Canes in the depths of our playoff drought.

edit: not by any means to imply that it won't end up being a nice windfall for the team when everything is factored in.

Reactions: Tryamw and zman77

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Kotkaniemi's now up to 14 points in the 21 games (~55 point pace) since Christmas and 21 in the 35 (49 point pace) since American Thanksgiving.

With plus physicality and analytically stout defense, he's perfectly fine in that Top 6 role at that production level.

It's probably mean reversion and he levels off soon. It might be a step, however. Time will tell.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Kotkaniemi's now up to 14 points in the 21 games (~55 point pace) since Christmas and 21 in the 35 (49 point pace) since American Thanksgiving.

With plus physicality and analytically stout defense, he's perfectly fine in that Top 6 role at that production level.

It's probably mean reversion and he levels off soon. It might be a step, however. Time will tell.

KK only being 22 sort of gives significant hope that it's legitimate progression, and growth isn't always linear with players that young. Obviously it's still good news no matter what it is, but there is legitimate reason to be excited.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

His SH% is 18.5% since then vs. a 10% career average, so at least as it comes to goal scoring, it will likely level out, but hopefully not until after the playoffs. To be a consistent goal scorer, he needs to shoot more. @Vagrant mentioned this a year or two ago. He has only 27 shots since Christmas and he's been a low volume shooter for his career. I don't know if that's confidence, his nature to defer to others/be a playmaker, or I it just takes too long to get his shot off or isn't finding space or a combination of all of the above.

I know the coaches have said they want him to be more aggressive and shoot more. For comparison, on the year, TT who we all know doesn't shoot enough, has 105 shots and KK has 78.

All that said, I do like his play as of late. He's been more more noticeable and involved in the play as well as putting up points and doing well in other parts of the game. He can be physical, which hopefully shows up in the playoffs as well. Hopefully this is a step in his development.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I didn't attend this game in person, but watching on TV, the whole thing gave me chills. I can see how fans of other teams are ambivalent about these games or think they've been over-done, etc.... as I'm not as excited about other teams' outdoor games like I was for the first few either, but when it's your team, it makes is special. Seeing the rink, the crowd, the pyrotechnics, the marching band, and even the fly-over just gave me chills. The whole game I just kept saying to my wife: "this is awesome".

Other than the traffic/lines, I don't see how the NHL and the Canes could have done better. The stadium was perfect, the rink was great, the ice was great, the weather was great and on TV, it just looked awesome. A real feather in the cap for Dundon, the Canes, the NHL and the local area.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad