OT: Your Best Under The Radar Restaurants In Montreal

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Nothing against Parthenon, but the very best authentic Greek Restaurant in the area is Christinas Cuisine in Laval.

You are absolutely not kidding. Someone had mentioned it to me a few months back and it was on my must-do list. Glad you reminded me.

Check out the on-line reviews -- the ratings are favorable through the roof.

Thanks for sharing.

p.s. for those of you offering future suggestions, can you please add a little blurb about your experience with the place rather than just listing it? Thanks.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Nothing against Parthenon, but the very best authentic Greek Restaurant in the area is Christinas Cuisine in Laval.

I finally tried it. It's a small place in Laval west, seats about 36. It's got that traditional Greek feel with the Santorini blue color on their walls.

At the door, the owner greets you and immediately draws your attention to a series of hot dishes, which you can see through a curved glass enclosure on the left counter. The prices are marked on the glass itself. I found most of the items in the glass enclosure to be on the expensive side (example 3 cabbage rolls for $16, etc.).

Given the foregoing, we went for traditional Greek options, like chicken souvlaki and yero. The platters featured quality ingredients and your typical potato, salad and then your choice of meat sitting in a large bed of rice or as a pita. The menu items were more affordable (a typical platter in the $16 range). Portions were decent. Service was efficient, with the waiter telling us how he was the one who selected the meats and how he was the butcher.

I would have liked the items behind the glass enclosure like the lamb shank or a choice of fish. However, I can see how I would have easily ran an expensive tab.

I liked it but I can get more value elsewhere. And since this city boasts so many quality choices at affordable pricing, why pay more.

Thanks again for the suggestion.

LetsMeetChezWeber

Nov 14, 2017
Best submarine sandwich? Can't find a good mtl steak and pepperoni sous-marin in Vancouver. I went to Manzos on my last trip. Any others?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Best submarine sandwich? Can't find a good mtl steak and pepperoni sous-marin in Vancouver. I went to Manzos on my last trip. Any others?

I've always wanted to try Momesso's. And I bet someone here will recommend it.

I have 3 places to recommend. I haven't gone in a while so I'll need to fish out the names and I'll post them. One of them makes its bun fresh on the premises using pizza dough -- quite a different experience. I only remember the name of one of them -- I'll post them all at the same time as soon as I have them. I've sent out a couple of texts to get me the names.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Anybody been to Emiliano's?
Menus

Just reserved there for a Xmas party when back in town on 22nd. Menu and spot looks pretty chill, conveniently placed for our group to go party up after dinner.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Few restos i recently ate at in the West Island, these are highly recommended:

Sahib (best value for the quality of food imo, buffet, their lamb curry is amazing)
Table 09
Saveurs Thai

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Hardly under the radar, but Moishes has a new $25 menu after 9pm. Not a bad way to go if you are craving the old style.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
For submarines, I've had pretty good ones at the following places:

Da Bologna Pizzeria Montréal Restaurant, (514) 321-8361, 5185, rue de Charleroi, Montréal-Nord. They use pizza dough as a bun which makes a sub even more tasteful. It's BYOB and their subs and pizzas are made in a wood burning oven:

13_da-_353-2017-06-13.jpg

Another good one, more traditional sub place is Via Restaurant, within the same area as the above: 4711 Rue d'Amiens, Montréal-Nord. Very tasty and filling.

There is a third place in the south shore to which I have never been but have tried many times as a take out, whenever a friend of the family was in the area, he'd pick some up for us. I don't have the name of it, but am looking. I really like this place's recipe and portions.

Paul Dipietro

Dec 16, 2009
Few restos i recently ate at in the West Island, these are highly recommended:

Sahib (best value for the quality of food imo, buffet, their lamb curry is amazing)
Table 09
Saveurs Thai
Sahib: Completely agree
Table 09: Never been. Anything in particular to recommend?
Saveurs Thai: I've found the flavors to be a bit bland (more Cambodian than Thai), but the quality is good

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
I've always wanted to try Momesso's. And I bet someone here will recommend it.

I have 3 places to recommend. I haven't gone in a while so I'll need to fish out the names and I'll post them. One of them makes its bun fresh on the premises using pizza dough -- quite a different experience. I only remember the name of one of them -- I'll post them all at the same time as soon as I have them. I've sent out a couple of texts to get me the names.

Yes Momesso's is great. The special #1 is a sausage sub with coleslaw inside, kinda like a montreal hot-dog style...but very good! Make sure you get the hot sauce. It's great. I get it on the side. The fries are hand cut and delicious. I've had other things on the menu, but this is definitely the "go to" for me. Plus there is hockey stuff everywhere... I'm surprised more people haven't been there.

Only downside is that they are not always open, so just check before you head over. It's a friendly place... just get a half sub unless you are really hungry.. the large one is too much for me. Plus the fries are worth it.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
Cafe Cuba on Beaubien, heavenly food, awesome portions, home style cooking. The Bandeja Paisa with pulled beef (carne desmachada) is to die for.

Abu Elias in Ville Saint Laurent on Côte-Vertu. It's a butcher shop and grill, sish taouk, kafta, fillet mignon, etc... sandwiches toasted on coal is scrumptious. Arayes (minced meat in pita bread, toasted) also a winner.

Papas in Brossard, similar concept to Abu Elias.

Tardes Calenas, Colombian restaurant in Brossard. Small, home style. Good food. Try the Sobrebarriga.

Joe's Panini, downtown on Drummond. Best chicken panini in town. Used to be called depanneur drummond, changed the name to Joe's Panini after old man Joe who used to work the grave yard shift there passed away. He was a grumpy old Italian man, gave shit to everyone that walked through the door and they loved him for it lol.

Amigo Chinese restaurant in Chinatown downtown on Saint Laurent st. It's on the second floor so it's easy to miss, but it's pretty good.

Hong Mère Chinese restaurant in Verdun, small, home style cooking. They don't joke around with the spices, so be prepared. The spicy chicken comes with chunks of diced dried red chili peppers, awesome and makes the steam blow out of your ears. Haven't been there in a while.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Sahib: Completely agree
Table 09: Never been. Anything in particular to recommend?
Saveurs Thai: I've found the flavors to be a bit bland (more Cambodian than Thai), but the quality is good

A safe bet would be the fattoush salad and rack of lamb, their menu has a lot of variety tho. I personally love the grilled veal liver but liver isn't everyone's cup of tea. The only thing i'm not a fan of is their calamari.

The only big downside to Table 09 is that they're always extremely busy, on several occasions i wasn't able to get a table =/.

Reactions: Paul Dipietro

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Cafe Cuba on Beaubien, heavenly food, awesome portions, home style cooking. The Bandeja Paisa with pulled beef (carne desmachada) is to die for.

Abu Elias in Ville Saint Laurent on Côte-Vertu. It's a butcher shop and grill, sish taouk, kafta, fillet mignon, etc... sandwiches toasted on coal is scrumptious. Arayes (minced meat in pita bread, toasted) also a winner.

Papas in Brossard, similar concept to Abu Elias.

Tardes Calenas, Colombian restaurant in Brossard. Small, home style. Good food. Try the Sobrebarriga.

Joe's Panini, downtown on Drummond. Best chicken panini in town. Used to be called depanneur drummond, changed the name to Joe's Panini after old man Joe who used to work the grave yard shift there passed away. He was a grumpy old Italian man, gave **** to everyone that walked through the door and they loved him for it lol.

Amigo Chinese restaurant in Chinatown downtown on Saint Laurent st. It's on the second floor so it's easy to miss, but it's pretty good.

Hong Mère Chinese restaurant in Verdun, small, home style cooking. They don't joke around with the spices, so be prepared. The spicy chicken comes with chunks of diced dried red chili peppers, awesome and makes the steam blow out of your ears. Haven't been there in a while.

Abu Elias used to have the best meat in town. Hands down the best Lebanese meat to grill yourself at home. Moved away 2 years ago so not sure if still the same. I'll get some when I get back these holidays.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Where can I get just a straight up traditional italian salami sandwich?

Just some spicy salami, those chopped up pickled vegetables, etc... ? It's so hard to find just a regular sandwich in this city.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Just some spicy salami, those chopped up pickled vegetables, etc... ? It's so hard to find just a regular sandwich in this city.

Do you really want a place that serves it? Best is to buy the ingredients (which are simple) and put it together at home.

The traditional Italian sandwich you're after is called a "panino".

Here are two great places that both sell the ingredients separately or where you can have them prepare it for you. They aren't cafes or restaurants and they don't provide seating, they are more like grocery stores that feature a well-stocked Italian deli counter:

La Baia Dei Formaggi
1715, Jean-Talon St. E.
Montreal, Quebec
H2E 1T3

La Baia dei Fromaggi - Our products

At the Baia, what I really like, is their provolone cheese -- it's aged 36 months, which is rare if you know about the product. They also have the only oversized mortadella meat -- they had to order a special slicer for it. Their cold cuts are great. I wouldn't recommend anything else as you can find it elsewhere for less. Just tell the individual behind the counter what ingredients you want and they'll prepare it on the spot.

The second location is a favorite of mine:

Berchicci
6205 boul. Couture,
St-Leonard H1P 3G7

Berchicci Ltd.

They make panino sandwiches with the ingredients you want.

However, they also have a wider variety of imported Italian products and their quality and pricing is probably the best in the city. You may want to go around and try their olive oils (you can sample them, they provide bread for you to dip), wide selection of canned Italian tomatoes, pasta and especially now, just before Christmas, a wide selection of gift baskets and the traditional Italian pannetone in assorted flavors.

Only drawback is their store hours, they usually close at 2:00 on Saturdays and are closed Sundays. But, I believe they have extended hours in December. Best to call before you go.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

If downtown, Joe's panini was always the go to place for me
For smoked meat, obviously Schwartz or Reuben.
If in the West Island, they have a great Deli called La Trattoria. They make sandwiches and I think they were quite good. Just can't remember as I used to go there when I dated an ex like 6-7 years ago. Their meatballs though were absolutely delicious, that I do remember.

lo striver

Jun 13, 2011
Our Lady of Grace
My NDG favorites -
Hwang-Kum (Sherbrooke/Clifton) - best authentic/family Korean resto in the city
Azar (Sherbrooke/Royal) - family, Middle Eastern, BYOB
Gia Ba - (Monkland/Wilson) - family, Chinese/Taiwanese

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
My NDG favorites -
Hwang-Kum (Sherbrooke/Clifton) - best authentic/family Korean resto in the city