OT: Your Best Under The Radar Restaurants In Montreal

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
Crudessence - Raw vegan food. Expensive, but amazing. The creativity in some plates is incredible. And their smoothies are the best in town.
Panthère Verte - Also vegan. Not as fancy as Crudessence, but their sandwhiches are amazing.
Plein Sud - Great French restaurant.
Pintxo - My favorite restaurant in Montreal so far. A very wide variety of Spanish inspired small dishes (like tapas kind of). Very affordable for the quality and quantity of the food. What's great is that you can just order different stuff for everyone and everyone then gets a taste of everything since the dishes are easy to share. 4-6 tapas (each 6-10$ for the most part) or 2-3 tapas + 1 main course does the job for most people.
Boca Iberica - Similar to Pintxo in that it's tapas, but more Portuguese inspired.

Would also have recommended Sefa, which was a Turkish restaurant, but they're now closed. :(

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
Romados on Rachel for Portuguese chicken

Shawarma plus at Alexis nihon mall for shish taouk plate

Antep kebab at guy Concordia For kebab sandwiches

Nouveau system on Beaubien for Poutine

Pizza Roma on st Laurent blvd for pizza

Pasticceria Alati-Caserta On Dante for canolis

Try any of those and get back to me

Last edited:
Reactions: Toene

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Pasticceria Alati-Caserta On Dante for canolis

Try any of those and get back to me

I've known of this place ever since I was a kid.

Little known secret unless you're a regular: the cannolis are on a 2 for 1 special throughout November and every November -- it's how they celebrate the anniversary of their founding. And they're the best I've ever tried. They fill them on the spot if they run out. Their ricotta is light but extremely tasteful.

Also make sure you try their babas doused in rhum. And my favorite -- ricotta lobster tails. To die for.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Seriously though, I'm not impressed with our food choices so far. Montreal is a great city for food, and I like Boustan as much as the next dude....but c'mon.

There is a great Korean place in NDG on Cavendish. It is a bit of a hidden gem. Great Indian places all over Park X, but they have gotten very pricey. Try some of the places up on Jarry...they are cheaper less busy and just as good! Montreal still fails for pizza many places... but I do love Amelio's especially the white pizza with extra tomato sauce...

Is there a great hidden pizza place I should know about?
I really like the pizza at Mozza actually. There is Napoletana too.

Reactions: Toene

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
La récolte, dans Jean talon. 99% local products, they buy everything from the Marché Jean Talon. Great fine cuisine or fancy brunches.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
I've known of this place ever since I was a kid.

Little known secret unless you're a regular: the cannolis are on a 2 for 1 special throughout November and every November -- it's how they celebrate the anniversary of their founding. And they're the best I've ever tried. They fill them on the spot if they run out. Their ricotta is light but extremely tasteful.

Also make sure you try their babas doused in rhum. And my favorite -- ricotta lobster tails. To die for.

I didn’t know that

Usually 6 canolis costs 20$

During the spécial how much 6 or 12 would cost ?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I didn’t know that

You should be able to get 12 for the price of 6. I'm probably going to end up going this week and if I do, I'll post the actual price.

Thanks for sharing all your recommendations.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
You should be able to get 12 for the price of 6. I'm probably going to end up going this week and if I do, I'll post the actual price.

Thanks for sharing all your recommendations.

Do let me know if u do I’m prolly going this weekend

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
I know the Peel-McGill restaurants by heart here are the best ones if you are around there and want something non-generic :

Peel Metro - Industrielle Alliance Food Court

Momoyama: Delicious Japanese bento with excellent fried Chicken / vegetable tempura. Generous portions and very fair prices(11-13$). Chicken Bento which comes with Fried Chicken(generous portion), white rice, 3 veg tempura and a small salad. I would not recommend the miso soup however as it's quite bland. Try it for yourself but it's not for me.

Habanero: Above average Mexican food, their burrito is a monster and they have excellent guacamole and home made salsa. Chicken Burrito with Guac is about 13$. If you find mucho burrito isn't flavourful enough, this place hits the spot.

McGill Metro - Eaton Center Food Court

Nudo:
Hand pulled noodles (in front of you) from the gods, I go to this place at least once a week. Under 10$ gets you one of the most flavourful soups from any food court in Montreal. I strongly recommend Chicken Sesame sauce noodles with Beef soup broth , you won't regret it.

Those are the three that standout out for me among the interconnected malls.

Last edited:

vesperal

Mar 8, 2006
I didn’t know that

I went today. The normal price is 6 for $21 and 12 for $36. So for November, it's 6 for $10.50 and 12 for $18. (Taxes included). I go every year but had totally forgotten, this post was a nice reminder.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
I went today. The normal price is 6 for $21 and 12 for $36. So for November, it's 6 for $10.50 and 12 for $18. (Taxes included). I go every year but had totally forgotten, this post was a nice reminder.

Thanks man will go this Saturday

GoHabsGo76

Fire Bergevin
Apr 16, 2009
Hawthorne, NJ
Does anyone have any recommendations for good sports bar/restaurant type places that fit this bill?

Coming to Montreal in March with my girlfriend. Will certainly not be my first time, but previously I was a poor college student who spent too much on airfare/tickets/hotel to really eat out much. Lots of shitty fast food.

Well, now I am not. We both love sports bar type places with wings, burgers, etc....been looking for some good spots.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Does anyone have any recommendations for good sports bar/restaurant type places that fit this bill?

Coming to Montreal in March with my girlfriend. Will certainly not be my first time, but previously I was a poor college student who spent too much on airfare/tickets/hotel to really eat out much. Lots of ****ty fast food.

Well, now I am not. We both love sports bar type places with wings, burgers, etc....been looking for some good spots.

I'd recommend Rubs American BBQ. Everything on their menu is smoked, southern style.

I've been to their Laval location on several occasion, but if you're downtown, you'll be closer to their Prince Arthur address. I've never been there but it's the original location and the same owners so the quality will be the same. It's a nice sports bar with lots of screens, so you'll get your sports fix while enjoying delicious food.

I'd recommend the Texas platter, which is available for two or four. It's a great option if you want to try the best they have to offer in terms of their different meats. The platter for two comes with a choice of 3 sides -- I'd strongly recommend the spicy fries (fora slight extra cost), the baked beans and the coleslaw. Here's a link to their signature dishes: Rubs Signatures | RUBS BBQ Américain

The 2 person platter is truly a smorgasbord of smoky flavors and tender grilled meats -- it features delicious St. Louis ribs,a quarter chicken, pulled pork and tender beef brisket. There is nothing that comes close on one menu in Montreal to all of these. The ribs in particular, are superb.

There should be more than enough food with the platter, for you not to have to order an entree. However, if you're tempted, try either or both from the Deep fried kool aid pickle Mississipi-style and the pulled pork rolls. A small tip -- if you order beer, tell them to bring it at the same time as your meal otherwise you'll get it right away and it'll go flat by the time you're served. Several choices of draft beer at reasonable prices. Enjoy.

Reactions: Galchenyuk27

LetsMeetChezWeber

Nov 14, 2017
I will add some places I try to hit everytime I visit:

Ma Poule Mouillee (Plateau): Portuguese chicken down the street (and better imo) from Romados. The portuguese chicken and chorizo poutine is a heavenly artery clogger.
Cosmos (NDG): Mish Mash is the best breakfast you can find!
Dinette Triple Crown(Mile-End): Amazing southern BBQ. You can eat in there dining room or get your food in a picnic basket to enjoy in the park across the street.
Schwartz' or Smoked Meat Pete if you are willing to drive out 45 min for the best smoked meat.
Gibbys (old mtl): for classic fine dining in old mtl.
Marvins: park ex greek spot with giant calamari platter
Tropical Paradise (Snowdon): casual family run Trinidad restaurant. Rotis and goat doubles are incredible.
Daou: Incredible higher end lebanese
Maison de kebab: cheap delicious persian food by Lionel Groux metro
Burger de Ville: NDG spot for burgers. Their steak is a great deal too...

So many more I'm not thinking of right now....

Reactions: Le Tricolore

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad