Your all time greats, forgotten?

1 Timer

Aug 23, 2009
Howell, NJ
Sometimes we have to be reminded how great some players were. Post a player and his stats and anything else that you feel makes that player one of the best ever. For me I worshiped Denis Potvin and here is why. This is not about who is better but more of an admiration thread.

Season GP G A PTS GC +/- PIM EV PP SH GW S S% TOI ATOI

Career NHL 1060 310 742 1052 372 460 1356 173 127 10 44 3053 10.2

His +/- really shows how good he was in is own end. He hit like Stevens and scored like Coffey. I have seen him play many times and the fear he put into opposing forwards was apparent from the stands. He could get the elbows up at times but they all did back then. His wrister from the point had eyes which was different then the end to end of Coffey and Orr. I wish he called our games as well but Butchie will do.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/p/potvide01.html

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Before Jagr, Bossy and Lafleur, the three best right wingers of all time included:

a GM on the All-Time Draft sub-forum said:
Bill Cook

ART1933.jpg

“He's my choice for the best right winger hockey ever knew. He was better than The Rocket and, in my estimation, better than Gordie Howe as well……he had a very hard wrist shot from close in and could score equally well backhand or forehand" – Frank Boucher

“Considered by many to be the greatest right winger ever to play the game, he was an undeniably focused and gifted competitor…†– Canadian Sports Hall of Fame

“He was a remarkable blend of brains, beauty and brawn. He was an outstanding stick-handler, a hard and fast skater, and had an incredible shot. He was a huge physical presence with a mean streak.†– Ultimate Hockey

2 x Stanley Cup Champion (1927, 1933)
5 x Stanley Cup Finalist (1927, 1929, 1932 1933, 1937)

GM’s First Team All-Star (1928)
3 x First Team All-Star (1931, 1932 1933)
Second Team All-Star (1934)

Hart Voting – 2nd(1927), 2nd(1933)

3 x WCHL First Team All-Star (1924, 1925, 1926)

WCHL Points – 1st(1924), 1st(1925), 1st(1926)
WCHL Goals – 1st(1924), 1st(1926), 4th(1925)
WCHL Assists – 1st(1924), 1st(1925), 2nd(1923)

NHL Points – 1st(1927), 1st(1933), 4th(1930), 4th(1931), 4th(1932)
NHL Goals – 1st(1927), 1st(1932), 1st(1933), 2nd(1931), 5th(1935)
NHL Assists – 3rd(1930)

Play-off Points – 2nd(1928), 3rd(1933)
Play-off Goals – 2nd(1928), 3rd(1933)
Play-off Assists – 1st(1928), 3rd(1932)

Cook's NHL prime was from 1927 to 1935. Here is where he ranks within those years:
3rd in Points
1st in Goals
8th in assists

2nd in Play-off Points
3rd in Play-off Goals
3rd in Play-off Assists

One of the most remarkable things about Bill Cook’s career is that he only joined the NHL after turning 30 years old. By the time he was putting up these numbers, he was already past his prime!

“A burly right winger with the desire of Rocket Richard and the physical prowess of Gordie Howe…played a very similar style to that of Gordie Howe - a hard and physically dominating style, overpowering his opponents, going through them instead of around them. But like Gordie he had some great skills as well, especially his nose for the net.†– Greatest Hockey Legends

“He had it all - he was an intelligent hockeyist, charismatic, and a physical force. If he were around for us to see play today we would be in awe of his uncanny stickhandling skills, his "hard and fast" skating, and his fantastic shooting ability. And if you were an opponent of him you surely wouldn't want to get on his bad side for his temper and mean streak were among the most volatile of his era.†– Keith Lenn

"Nobody fooled around with him because he was tough - real tough...he was the best (right winger) we ever played against.â€

â€He (Joliat) picked an all star team (at the request of W.A. Howard, a writer for Canadian National Magazine) confined to players who played against him during his 16 years as a professional. He puts Benedict or Gardiner in goal; Shore and Noble on defense; Nighbor at centre; with Cook and Jackson on the wings. It's a well balanced unitâ. – Montreal Gazette, 1954
http://hfboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=181

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Andy Bathgate. He was on some terrible teams with the Rangers. Finally did win his Cup with Toronto in 1964 though. But here is a guy who was neck and neck for a number of years with Howe for points. Observe.

Point leaders from 1955-'56 to 1963-'64:

Howe - 704
Bathgate - 702
Beliveau - 672

Unfreakin believable is all I have to say about that.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
Peter Stastny - 2nd leading scorer in the 80's after Gretzky. Considering some of the numbers and some of the all timers who played that decade, that's friggen unbelievable. He really is underrated in the grand scheme of things.

BM67

Mar 5, 2002
In "The System"
Visit site
Nels Stewart, two time Hart winner, retired as the all-time leader in goals and points.

Finished top 10 in goals in 13 of his 15 seasons.

He held the goal record from 36-37 until the Rocket passed him in 52-53.

One of only 2 players to have led the NHL in Points and PIM, Stewart and Ted Lindsay.

One of only 3 to have led the NHL in goals and PIM, Stewart, Maurice Richard and Ted Lindsay.

ozzie

Aug 3, 2005
Australia
I'll second Potivin, my favourite defensemen of all time. His dominance is forgotten now.

I also think Coffey doesnt get the respect he deserves and wasn't as bad defensively as he was made out to be. His 95 season was something special.

Loto68

Aug 12, 2006
Boston
In mentioning mostly neglected Rangers greats like Cook and Bathgate, I have to mention Frank Boucher.

RabbinsDuck

Feb 1, 2008
Brighton, MI
I bet Pronger will suffer 20+ years from now - A Hart, but only one Norris and no Conn Smythe trophies, despite having three worthy runs.

I've always been disappointed at the lack of attention the Wings' organization has given to Pre-Dynasty teams. Detroit won 2 Cups in 5 years and most fans could not name a single player.

Of course I am upset about Larry Aurie's number being un-retired but it would also be nice to see someone like Ebbie Goodfellow's number hanging in the rafters. Syd Howe is another guy that gets next to no attention.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Most definitely Peter Stastny. He was over looked because of Gretzky for many years. Hall of famer, and 1239 points in 977 games. He's also one, if not the best player to never win a cup.
He was top 10 many times.
1981: 6th
1982: 3rd (Gretzky 1st, Bossy 2nd)
1983: 2nd (Gretzky 1st, Denis Savard 3rd)
1984: 4th (Gretzky 1st, Coffey 2nd, Goulet 3rd)
1986: 6th (All 5 in front of him are hall of famers)
1988: 6th (Again, all 5 in front of him are hall of famers)

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Norm Ullman seems like a forgotten great. He is a Hall of Famer but rarely is mentioned as an Original Six great. Joined the Wings just in time to miss the last Cup win of the Howe teams, got traded to Toronto just in time to miss their last Cup win.

Had 8 top ten point finishes, 9 top ten goal finishes. Led the league in goals, 2nd in points in 64/65. 3rd in points in 66/67, 3rd in goals in 65/66. Also led the league in playoff scoring twice. Was second only to Howe on those Wings teams that made the Finals four times in six years in the 60s.

plusandminus

Mar 7, 2011
Peter Stastny - 2nd leading scorer in the 80's after Gretzky. Considering some of the numbers and some of the all timers who played that decade, that's friggen unbelievable. He really is underrated in the grand scheme of things.

He was great, and probably a bit overlooked.

But...
1. He is favoured when looking at the 80s as a decade, as he had his prime during those years. Great players who finished their career in the non-late 80s, or starting in the non-early 80s, are unfavoured. For example, if I remember right Forsberg led the league in several categories (+/- and points, if I remember correctly) if counting the 8-10 year period most favourable to him.
2. Peter Stastny's numbers aren't that great when looking at them adjusted. For example, a guy like Sundin actually has an equal adjusted points per game, even though Stastny had a slightly higher peak.

I understand this is an appreciation thread. And Stastny was still great, still had great numbers and is probably a bit overlooked!! :)

revolverjgw

Oct 6, 2003
Nova Scotia
I bet Pronger will suffer 20+ years from now - A Hart, but only one Norris and no Conn Smythe trophies, despite having three worthy runs.

Maybe. Pronger is such a larger-than-life character though, he seems like a guy that's going to be remembered, he was such a... loud presence on and ice the ice. And even though the trophy-case doesn't do him justice, that Hart is a HUGE deal. Even casual hockey fans will be able to look at that outstanding achievement and then look into his career deeper.

Dionne is a good one. It seems like most of the time that's he brought up, it's to downplay him because of his playoff resume... or to compare him to some modern player with a weak playoff record.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Pronger is a lock for the Hall. And not because of any dang trophy or statistic!

There aren't three contemporaries on the blueline more deserving. He will be inducted and not forgotten any time soon.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
He was great, and probably a bit overlooked.

But...
1. He is favoured when looking at the 80s as a decade, as he had his prime during those years. Great players who finished their career in the non-late 80s, or starting in the non-early 80s, are unfavoured. For example, if I remember right Forsberg led the league in several categories (+/- and points, if I remember correctly) if counting the 8-10 year period most favourable to him.
2. Peter Stastny's numbers aren't that great when looking at them adjusted. For example, a guy like Sundin actually has an equal adjusted points per game, even though Stastny had a slightly higher peak.

I understand this is an appreciation thread. And Stastny was still great, still had great numbers and is probably a bit overlooked!! :)

Hockey reference's adjusted points are crap when comparing superstars from the 80s with ones from the dead puck era, and the Stastny / Sundin comparison is a perfect example.

avs1986

Feb 2, 2010

:handclap: Never understood why he never gets the recognition he should,even to this day...Canadian bias possibly? The latest Hockey News Best players by position didn't even have him mentioned(not that the magazine has any credibility today),but I find that extremely shocking and strange.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
:handclap: Never understood why he never gets the recognition he should,even to this day...Canadian bias possibly? The latest Hockey News Best players by position didn't even have him mentioned(not that the magazine has any credibility today),but I find that extremely shocking and strange.

yea the same magazine that already ranks crosby better than sundin, modano, francis and hawerchuk. although im sure they wouldve had lindros right up there in 97

Ogopogo*

Probably the two most underrated players in the history of the game are: Andy Bathgate and Cy Denneny.

As great as they were, Gordie Howe and Glenn Hall are constantly underrated as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad