GDT: Your Albany Devils vs Toronto Marlies: Game-7

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
I think it can be hard to judge anything from the AHL. If you look at "the legend" Marty Brodeur's stats from his short time in the A and you would never think he would end up a Hall of Famer (3+ GAA and under .90SP). If remember correctly he was asked about it: and he said its hard because of the wide variety of talent, overall systems, and schedules 3 games in 4 nights. Thats why some players light it up in The AHL and can be compleate crap in the Nhl and vice versa. I think it can be even harder for Goalies for the same reasons. People list 3/4 of the D men they nvr want to see on the Devils and also expect Wedgewood to do magic. I am not a fan of his theatrics. Double stack and get a save you look great, maybe Espn top 10. In reality it is a low percentage play to make up for the fact he was out of position.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Just from the highlights throughout the playoffs, I saw a decent amount of goals that he wasn't allowing earlier in the season. His save percentage was also quite a bit lower this playoffs than it was during the season.

Now 12 games doesn't mean anything, it's not a large enough sample size. It's just worrying to me because his play as a pro was not very good before this season.

But the game winner wasn't a bad one to me, that was some fluky goal. Right up there with that Bieksa series winner off the stanchion for the Canucks against the Sharks in the 2011 WCF.

Watching the games he came up with a lot of big saves. Any games he looked "bad" were mostly the games that got out of hand and we were either short handed, or not playing good defense. This was the highest scoring team in the AHL this year.

I'm not saying he let in a few he would want back, but Wedge was not the problem and put in some big timely performances. Game 6 he was a wall.

Zero issue with him in the first round.

There is no one to really blame. We didn't ice a healthy lineup from game 1, and we kept losing guys as the series went on. They still pushed the number 1 seed to Game 7, and it took a fluky goal to lose it.

Nothing but pride for the kids. Boosh still looks like a player. Severson was easily the best player on the ice at any given time. Lappin looks like a legit player. Blender...well he needs more work. I'm ready to get a longer look at Pietla.

oxman44

Dec 1, 2015
Hunterdon
Watching the games he came up with a lot of big saves. Any games he looked "bad" were mostly the games that got out of hand and we were either short handed, or not playing good defense. This was the highest scoring team in the AHL this year.

I'm not saying he let in a few he would want back, but Wedge was not the problem and put in some big timely performances. Game 6 he was a wall.

Zero issue with him in the first round.

There is no one to really blame. We didn't ice a healthy lineup from game 1, and we kept losing guys as the series went on. They still pushed the number 1 seed to Game 7, and it took a fluky goal to lose it.

Nothing but pride for the kids. Boosh still looks like a player. Severson was easily the best player on the ice at any given time. Lappin looks like a legit player. Blender...well he needs more work. I'm ready to get a longer look at Pietla.

Yea I agree with that, I just expected Wedgwood to be more consistent after his strong run up with the big club. he was overcommiting a bit much. But really considering the amount of high quality scoring chances you see down there, He played really well overall.
If I had to pinpoint reasons they lost the series, it would be not having Zacha and Obrien for the entirety of the series, who were clearly the best 2 centers on the team.
And taking 17 penalties in games 4-5. Blame the players or the refs for that up to you :sarcasm:

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think it can be hard to judge anything from the AHL. If you look at "the legend" Marty Brodeur's stats from his short time in the A and you would never think he would end up a Hall of Famer (3+ GAA and under .90SP). If remember correctly he was asked about it: and he said its hard because of the wide variety of talent, overall systems, and schedules 3 games in 4 nights. Thats why some players light it up in The AHL and can be compleate crap in the Nhl and vice versa. I think it can be even harder for Goalies for the same reasons. People list 3/4 of the D men they nvr want to see on the Devils and also expect Wedgewood to do magic. I am not a fan of his theatrics. Double stack and get a save you look great, maybe Espn top 10. In reality it is a low percentage play to make up for the fact he was out of position.

I think a lot of the goals he allows are from flopping around and being out of position, whereas a normal butterfly goalie doesn't throw himself out of position like that. He wasn't scores on like that a lot in his brief NHL run last year, but he was flipping a lot. And the intentional losing of the stick. Some of his AHL work in previous years reminded me of twilight Marty. In Marty's twilight years, even when he wasn't allowing necessarily bad goals, he couldn't flop around anymore because his recovery time was too slow. But he still flopped around and was scored on a lot because of that. Wedgewood's recovery time isn't bad or slow, he just can't do it like Marty could in his prime.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
I didn't watch one game, however, it sounds like Severson was up and down in this series. Does anyone think this may make Shero consider Severson expendable or is he still to young with much more potential?

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I think a lot of the goals he allows are from flopping around and being out of position, whereas a normal butterfly goalie doesn't throw himself out of position like that. He wasn't scores on like that a lot in his brief NHL run last year, but he was flipping a lot. And the intentional losing of the stick. Some of his AHL work in previous years reminded me of twilight Marty. In Marty's twilight years, even when he wasn't allowing necessarily bad goals, he couldn't flop around anymore because his recovery time was too slow. But he still flopped around and was scored on a lot because of that. Wedgewood's recovery time isn't bad or slow, he just can't do it like Marty could in his prime.

A lot of times when a goalie flops its because he is forced to cover two shooters because he defense ****ed up.

That happened with one of the goals. Defense didn't take a man away and he had to flop across the crease to try and make a circus save after being badly best.

Also on Severson he was more than fine.

My only complaint and it's a nitpick really is that I think he could of imposed his will more. He always looked like the best player on the ice but I think he could of taken games over.

That said he was being a good teammate everytime. Blender tried to do that a lot and it failed everytime

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
A lot of times when a goalie flops its because he is forced to cover two shooters because he defense ****ed up.

That happened with one of the goals. Defense didn't take a man away and he had to flop across the crease to try and make a circus save after being badly best.

Also on Severson he was more than fine.

My only complaint and it's a nitpick really is that I think he could of imposed his will more. He always looked like the best player on the ice but I think he could of taken games over.

That said he was being a good teammate everytime. Blender tried to do that a lot and it failed everytime

Good to hear.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I wouldn't pin the loss on wedge tbh

I absolutely wouldn't. One goal was bad but overall it was either bad luck or bad defense on the rest.

Sometimes things just don't go your way. 5 more seconds and they might of tied it up again.

Losing the series has more to do with Kelly being a moron and getting himself suspended and all the injury woes to key guys.

Kelly was a big part of the PK and it fell apart after he got suspended.

kevinchoi

Sep 22, 2014
Newark
I absolutely wouldn't. One goal was bad but overall it was either bad luck or bad defense on the rest.

Sometimes things just don't go your way. 5 more seconds and they might of tied it up again.

Losing the series has more to do with Kelly being a moron and getting himself suspended and all the injury woes to key guys.

Kelly was a big part of the PK and it fell apart after he got suspended.

i agree, he was key on the pk and physical the marlies were terrified when hes out there

kevinchoi

Sep 22, 2014
Newark
My thought on the goals against.

Severson's a bit out of position here. The forward covered up for him, but it wasn't a good matchup.

From the leafs board.

on this goal did anyone else notice the high stick re direct by ben smith ? he cleary hits the puck...

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA

Except Brodeur's numbers in the early 90s AHL were actually pretty good. Brodeur had a 4.03 GAA on Utica in 92-93, while Schwab was at 4.25 and Erickson was at 5.58.

You need to adjust for era when looking at goalie stats.

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
Just here to say, what a series! Just a shame it wasn't the conference final, it deserved to be.

I think Severson will develop really well into a solid NHL Dman. Would love the Leafs to put a package together for him, he's exactly what we'd need going forward, but can't imagine it happening.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad