Speculation: Your 6/7 defensive defenceman to Ottawa

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Maybe something around Brandon Davidson and Ceci ? No even sure if I would do it . We do need a RHD with PM abilities and Davidson is not the sexy name a teams fan base knows but he just a solid D that can skate , hit and shoot the puck . Both teams probably decline this one .

We're not downgrading Ceci for Davidson.

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
Ottawa: Ericsson, Nastasiuk, 2017 2nd
Detroit: Borowiecki, Puempel

Ottawa gains 2.25M in cap after putting Nastasiuk in the minors but they are going to lose Methot to Vegas at year end anyhow.

Alternatively Detroit could eat 50% on Ericsson and keep the 2nd which would make this deal +125K for Ottawa, but I don't see that helping out their situation.

Last edited:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
OP for got to mention... Uncle Eugene, is che... very che... INSANELY CHEAP, so no contract longer than 2 yrs and no more than 2M a year in real salary to pay

So insanely cheap that he signed :

- Bobby Ryan to a 50.7M$ contract
- Mike Hoffman to a 20.7M$ contract
- Clarke MacArthur to a 23.2M$ contract
- Mark Stone to a 10.5M$ contract
- Marc Methot to a 19.6M$ contract
- Craig Anderson to a 12.6M$ contract
- and took the contract of Dion Phaneuf who had 33.0 M$ left to pay on his contract

All that (170.0M$) in the last 2 years and will probably put a 80.0 M$ for Erik Karlsson the franchise player...

We don't have the same definition of "INSANELY CHEAP" :naughty:

The club was rebuilding, Ottawa is a small market, runs a budget to stay financially healthy, doesn't make sense to spend to the cap when the team is in a growth phase. Will probably spend to the cap when new Stone and Karlsson deals kick in. Getting closer to the cap now anyway. Accept the reality or choose another one.

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
So insanely cheap that he signed :

- Bobby Ryan to a 50.7M$ contract
- Mike Hoffman to a 20.7M$ contract
- Clarke MacArthur to a 23.2M$ contract
- Mark Stone to a 10.5M$ contract
- Marc Methot to a 19.6M$ contract
- Craig Anderson to a 12.6M$ contract
- and took the contract of Dion Phaneuf who had 33.0 M$ left to pay on his contract

All that (170.0M$) in the last 2 years and will probably put a 80.0 M$ for Erik Karlsson the franchise player...

We don't have the same definition of "INSANELY CHEAP" :naughty:

The club was rebuilding, Ottawa is a small market, runs a budget to stay financially healthy, doesn't make sense to spend to the cap when the team is in a growth phase. Will probably spend to the cap when new Stone and Karlsson deals kick in. Getting closer to the cap now anyway. Accept the reality or choose another one.

Although the poster called Melnyk cheap, while making a point, it was not his point.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Can you give us a rough description of Quincey as a player?

He's a solid defender who is okay at managing the puck. He's definitely not a great skater, but sometimes he'll join the rush and surprise you. All around just a solid dude, nothing special. He's a serviceable middle pair defenseman and great bottom pair, he was a cap casualty - not a **** player we didn't decide to retain. Unless Dekeyser was extremely great at masking all of Quincey's faults, whoever signs him is going to get a good deal I'd think.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
He's a solid defender who is okay at managing the puck. He's definitely not a great skater, but sometimes he'll join the rush and surprise you. All around just a solid dude, nothing special. He's a serviceable middle pair defenseman and great bottom pair, he was a cap casualty - not a **** player we didn't decide to retain. Unless Dekeyser was extremely great at masking all of Quincey's faults, whoever signs him is going to get a good deal I'd think.

nice..is he physical at all?

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Wisniewski too right?

As someone mentioned he signed a PTO with TB

But also, he shoots right and I think is more comfortable playing RD (someone help me out on this), and also would be much more likely to be found on a PP unit than a PK unit based on his skill set.

OP is looking for a LD who PKs, so I don't think Wis fits the bill here.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Gubranson for a 3rd or 4th would do

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Can you give us a rough description of Quincey as a player?

can someone describe Quincey's play style?

Defensive dman that can move the puck if given a decent partner. Not a bruiser on defense but will be physical(in the corners will muck it up and take care of the net).

Good stick that can break up plays. NHL mobility is average for defense, doesn't hurt him.

Basically a solid vet #6.

Now, I don't know the type of money he wants. That might change his worth if he wants more than 2.5-3 on a short term deal, like 3 years max.

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
IMO Gryba would be a fair signing if it was a 2 way deal. The team needs veterans in their farm system ... but that's irrelevant to the OP because he's a RD.

Regarding Ottawa's left side depth, the options for the 3rd pairing LD right now are:

Borowiecki
Claesson
Chabot
Sieloff

I think that Chabot will see NHL action (9 games or less) and Claesson/Sioloff will be given the chance to prove that they can earn the other spot. If none of the four guys are up to scratch after the 15-20 game mark I think the team should look to acquire a player by trade or FA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad