Your 3 Favorite Fighters

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
Hope it's okay to post this here instead of on the Fight sub-forum since they seem to focus mainly on the modern era.

List your top 3 pugilists. These are my "favorites", i.e. I'm not saying they're the "best" fighters.

1.Terry O'Reilly - he comes unglued like he's fighting for his life
2. Link Gaetz - another one who goes mental, unpredictable and anything could happen in one of his fights
3. Bob Probert - great ability to rebound and turn the tables when it looks like an opponent is getting the upper hand

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Hard to name just three

John Ferguson
Eddie Shack
Chris Nilan

HM Georges Laraque, Dave Semenko

Edit: btw...Ali vs Semenko

Last edited:

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
It would probably be Gino Odjick, Willi Plett and... Craig Coxe?

Honorouble mention to Olli Jokinen for his famous fight with Kesler. Great entertainment value. Same with Semin vs. Staal.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
3 all-time favorites...

1. Behn Wilson
2. Tie Domi
3. Joey Kocur

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
Coxe? Tiger? :amazed:
Tiger, was one one of the first grapplers. He fought more open with the Leafs, but by the time he got to Vancouver, he was wrestling; he'd wait until the refs came in and then throw a couple cheap shots.

Coxe was the complete opposite; he didn't believe in defense at all. His defense was his head. Entertaining fighter for sure, but he was on the losing side often after his initial Canuck season.

There was a fabulous Coxe interview from about 5 years ago posted on YT. He talked about his fights very honestly....the guys he thought were the toughest, and guys who were overrated.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
Gino Odjick would be my number 1.
Great personality. Mean as heck (especially if you wronged one of his teammates; even meaner if that teammate was Pavel Bure)

Rick Rypien
Pure fighting ability, and because of his size, he brought you to the edge of your seat every time. There have been lots of good smaller fighters, but there's never been anyone (small or otherwise) that fought in a manner that was so similar to how a boxer would.

Wendel Clark
I loved watching Wendel fight. Often a size mismatch; but he never grappled. He'd stand back and trade shots.

HM's:
John Kordic was fun to watch too.

Scott Walker (another little guy that could really throw 'em)

Curt Fraser had one of the best punches ever; he wasn't overly big. But after awhile, guys would grab on and wrestle him to offset his punching power, and it made for boring fights. For a guy that went around 6' and around 200 pounds, Fraser is one of the most underrated fighters ever. He could straight up hang with anyone (I believe he has wins over a prime Probert and Kocur)

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
Wow. Tough to cut it down to just 3

1.Shane Churla - Not the best fighter, and I prefer watching Mark Tinordi's fights over his, but I loved him back in the North Stars days. Favorite heavyweight back then so I have to put him #1 here.

2.Bob Probert - Grew up in a home with both my big bro and dad being Wings fans. Always butted heads with them - Churla vs Probert. Probert was the enemy, wanted him to go down. But he's the Champ. No question. Have to put him here outta respect.

3.Craig Coxe - Only because his 2 fights with Probie I could watch over and over and over .........

HM - Razzle Dazzle Basil McRae, Mark Tinordi, Troy Crowder, Wendel Clark

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
01 - mel bridgman - fastest hands i've seen on tape, good middleweight, and always seemed to be the instigator of every flyers bench clearing brawl

02 - dave brown - probably the scariest fighter i've seen, wouldn't hesitate to knock a guy out and and just plain mean on the ice

03 - rick rypien - most entertaining fighter of the last decade for me (especially as a canucks fan), tragedy how everything ended up

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Bob Probert - Was just absolutely crazy on the ice and that was what scared you the most about him. Doesn't get enough credit in my mind for helping keep Steve Yzerman healthy all of those years. He fought every tough person he ever came in contact with, even the ones who wanted to make an impression on their coach.

Wendel Clark - Loved him. He wasn't big but wasn't afraid of anyone either. Fought Probert and McSorley without even giving it a second thought. Hard to find a clip where he actually clearly lost a fight. Cleaned Cam Neely's clock once. The thing with him is that his punches looked like they hurt. He left himself open, didn't clutch and grab which made his fights even more entertaining.

Eric Lindros - Was like Clark, but just bigger. Didn't pick his spots and had punches that just looked downright hard. Like Terry O'Reilly he would often keep himself open and just go on the offense instead of sitting back. Another guy where it is hard to see him ever losing a fight on video.

Robert Gordon Orr

Dec 3, 2009
Sorry, it's impossible to just pick three favorite fighters. Here are the ten first names that comes to mind (in Alphabetical order).

Dave Brown – Pure goon who terrorized opponents. Awesome southpaw fighter.

Glen Cochrane – Unpredictable fighter who could really go haywire from time to time.

Clark Gillies – He had that raw strength and was a dangerous fighter when he got riled up.

Stan Jonathan - “Bulldog†was an old school warrior and one of the best pound-for-pound fighters.

Joey Kocur – TKO power in every punch. Respect to anyone who picked a fight with him.

Bob Nystrom – Very entertaining when he decided to fight, all offense and no defense.

Terry O’Reilly – Not the best fighter, but had the heart of a lion and always showed up.

Larry Playfair – Big scary dude who was as intimidating on the ice as he was nice off it.

John Wensink - “Wire†was a scary and fearless fighter who didn’t back down from anyone.

Behn Wilson – He was like a machine, very seldom rattled and a force to be reckoned with.

Then there are other guys like Randy Holt (crazy dude), Val James (a beast) or Craig Coxe (crowdpleaser) who entertained us with some good fights over the years.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Sorry, it's impossible to just pick three favorite fighters. Here are the ten first names that comes to mind (in Alphabetical order).

Dave Brown – Pure goon who terrorized opponents. Awesome southpaw fighter.

Glen Cochrane – Unpredictable fighter who could really go haywire from time to time.

Clark Gillies – He had that raw strength and was a dangerous fighter when he got riled up.

Stan Jonathan - “Bulldog†was an old school warrior and one of the best pound-for-pound fighters.

Joey Kocur – TKO power in every punch. Respect to anyone who picked a fight with him.

Bob Nystrom – Very entertaining when he decided to fight, all offense and no defense.

Terry O’Reilly – Not the best fighter, but had the heart of a lion and always showed up.

Larry Playfair – Big scary dude who was as intimidating on the ice as he was nice off it.

John Wensink - “Wire†was a scary and fearless fighter who didn’t back down from anyone.

Behn Wilson – He was like a machine, very seldom rattled and a force to be reckoned with.

Then there are other guys like Randy Holt (crazy dude), Val James (a beast) or Craig Coxe (crowdpleaser) who entertained us with some good fights over the years.

Kevin Bieksa would smoke any guy on that list. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad