Your 2019-20 Expectations

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
I think it's going to be a rough year again with lots of growing pains. I don't expect much winning or consistency on a night-to-night basis with this group. Over the entire season though, from game 1 to 82, I do expect improvement by the young players but realistically it will be to varying degrees and it's likely some players might not even improve much if at all. I'm still excited though. Oh and I expect the established vets still in their primes to continue to play at that level and give the kids some protection from toughest matchups/roles. This post might sound negative but I'm actually more excited about this season than I was about the years after losing in the Stanley Cup Finals because I'm not in a "Cup or bust" mindset where the last years of that core group all ended in disappointment. My main expectation this year is steady development so if that happens overall I'll be happy.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
woah are you serious guys? :DD

Summer transfer to New York Rangers:
- Trouba
- Panarin
- Fox

Won the #2nd overall draft lottery Kakko - I expect playoffs and so many believe he can maybe be a generational talent as well! :)

- Kravtsov from last year draft 9th overall! ;)

I sometimes believe some agenda here to protect our GM if they somehow fail to reach playoffs!

Do you agree or disagree that the following is reasonable? (bc your last line paints you in a very bad light and makes you seem paranoid and unreasonable when I HOPE it was just a bad joke)

The team is still waiting for several very recent draft picks and teenagers to grow into their roles...something that shouldn't be expected for at least another season.

Panarin can shelter some guys from tough matchups, Trouba can hopefully help shelter some D guys from tough matchups. Everything else that we added is a completely undeveloped, unproven mystery for this season.We should have competitive games like we did all last season. We should see a few of the youngest guys from last season develop a bit more. The wins and losses are irrelevant. We could easily be a wild card or a bottom 5 team. That's the way the league is now and that's the way the team is now.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
I firmly believed that Kravtsov was NHL ready he played so well in Russia did he not?
He played well...offensively. When have you ever watched his neutral zone or defensive play...or anything outside of highlights consistently?

The answer for almost everyone here is zero. We see a scorer with great skating and playmaking ability. I have a lot of hope for Kravtsov (and Chytil). There's a ton more to being an NHLer than that though

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I figure if this team starts 3-0 we're looking at Hank/Geo making about 190 saves.

If they were actually good that would be pretty tight.

Well, hoping with the additions of Fox, Panarin, Kakko, and Trouba, they will be a better possession team. Just have to see.

I don’t have high expectations for the team this year, but I don’t think they are bad enough to be a lottery team, so might as well just try to make the playoffs, it will only help to develop these young guys better.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Rangers had one legit 1st liner last year in Zibanejad. They have two now with the addition of Panarin and they'll have a third soon with Kakko. The Rangers had no legit 1st pairing worthy defensemen last year. This year they have Trouba.

We also have a bunch of first and second year players and one would think most of the second year pros are going to be better. Players are going to be put into roles that fit their capabilities better just because we have guys like Panarin, Zibanejad and Trouba.

Our coaching staff isn't starting from square one this year either.

So barring a lot of injuries the Rangers should be a lot better and in practically all areas. The powerplay should be better--the penalty kill should be better. If Quinn splits the games between the goalies--rests Henrik more--that should improve too. We should be better in OT--Panarin and Zibanejad on 3 on 3's. Kakko should be a positive with extra room too. We should be killers in the shootout--Panarin, Zibanejad, Kakko, DeAngelo.

So if things go well I think we could sneak into the playoffs. I wouldn't guarantee we'll make the playoffs but we're going to be at least close to a middle of the pack team this year---barring a ton of injuries that is.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Expect a 6-10 (bottom obv) finish and hopefully a Top-3 pick and more selling off of guys like Kreider, Strome, Names etc.

But, I also expect to see some positive signs from the kids and that includes ADA & Buch

(Love to see Zbad get even better!)

Reactions: CasusBelli

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Expect a 6-10 (bottom obv) finish and hopefully a Top-3 pick and more selling off of guys like Kreider, Strome, Names etc.

But, I also expect to see some positive signs from the kids and that includes ADA & Buch

(Love to see Zbad get even better!)
I don't know. If we don't address the linebacker situation I could easily see us going 4-12.

Reactions: Boris Zubov

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
I expect a team that plays hard and competes every night. We are a better and deeper team than last year. Fox, Kakko, Trouba, Panarin, plus full years from Lemmy and Hajek. We will give some teams fits but there will be ups and downs as this is a very young team. I wouldn't be surprised if they snuck in as a wild card but think they will fall just short which is ok. LGR!!

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
I expect people to complain a lot more than is necessary and I expect myself to have a lot of fun with the season and root for the team to win every game; anything else is gravy

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Good question.

I expect LA to establish himself as a 3C at least. Not calling him a bust if he doesn’t, but that’s what I expect. Kid had an amazing preseason and made huge strides, bumping his upside up. I’d love to see 30-35 points. I also expect 50-60 points out of DeAngelo if he plays all or almost all 82 games AND is on the first power play unit. Like I said a week ago on the main forums, I really do see him on the verge of becoming a star in this league. Not exactly star level and nowhere close to a superstar, but close to star level.

And we really need answers on Shestyorkin and Georgiev by the end of the year. We need one or both to take that next step, and I think it will happen. I don’t know who will do it, but if I had to bet, I’d go with Shestyorkin.

Other than that, no matter how good our prospects are, it takes time to adjust to this league sadly. I don’t think we’re making the playoffs, but I would like it if we did. I have a little bit of hope.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ori

bbny

Unregistered User
Apr 12, 2019
I'm going to live a little. I expect playoffs. I understand management is going to try and temper expectations because they don't want Quinn to take too much heat his second year in, but I don't believe for a second that the vets on this team aren't expecting playoffs. They have a great mix of established and seasoned veterans, young veterans, and young players hungry to play the game and prove themselves. They will all feed off of each other.

They have a legitimate top line. They have two legitimate and current franchise level players in Panarin and Zibanejad. They have a better top 4 on defense than they've had in a few years now. I'm all in on a 6th-8th seed berth.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I expect people to complain a lot more than is necessary and I expect myself to have a lot of fun with the season and root for the team to win every game; anything else is gravy

Death, Taxes, and fans complaining about their teams are all guarantees of life, except the Taxes part if you live in Florida. :sarcasm:

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
A team that competes hard every night, learns and grows. I don't want to see a team that becomes overly reliant on vets to try and bail them out of games. Obviously, I want the vets to perform, but I don't want us to giving them extra helpings at the expense of young talent. I don't think this will happen, but I acknowledge it is at least somewhat of a possibility that all teams/coaches face.

I hope for patience from fans and a somewhat balanced approach. If the team comes out of the gate swinging again, I'd prefer to hold-off on playoff chatter when it's only November. I'd also like to avoid tearing these kids apart and declaring everything a failure if they start to hit a real challenging stretch.

I expect this team to win games against teams it shouldn't defeat, lose games against teams it shouldn't lose to, and experience growing pains.

I'd like to see steady progress, especially by out forward group.

Personally, I hope we're in a situation where we can move guys like Kreider, Strome, and Names for solid and modest returns and keep building toward the future and a team built for the 2020s.

I don't see this team being playoff bound, but I'd like to see them build upon last year. I'm going to guess they pick in the 7-12 range. I think the growing pains at center and the defense will be significant challenges for them.

On defense, with all the focus on ADA and Fox, I quietly hope Hajek carves out a niche as a solid, dependable option on the left side. If we can add Miller to that mix in the next year or two, now we have the start of something on that side.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad