Your 2019-20 Expectations

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Our high end talent and a Hank Renaissance bring us to a wild card. Maybe we sneak in a round 1 win depending on the opponent. Our lack of depth and overall youth prevent us from being a true contender as of yet.

Reactions: Hire Sather

Lua

Nov 10, 2010
Troy
Somewhere in the 15-20 range if a lot of things go our way

Wouldn't mind being wrong in either direction, though

Cag29

94! I’m ready for more! LGR!
Jul 18, 2018
Keep building , Play hard , Continue to develope the young players.
Trade off players at the deadline that are not in our plans. (Kreider etc)
Realistically finish 8-14 range.
Win the lottery again next April.
Draft well.
LGR!

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
If I had to sum my expectation in one word, it would be progress.

Here's what I would expect- not what I am predicting, but what I would expect.

From the Coaching Staff:
  • Effective use of in-game match-ups. Get the right players out against other teams in the right situation. You do not have the luxury of rolling four lines and three D without any forethought.
  • Effective line changes. Switching up the D early when your forwards struggle to get pucks in deep is amateurish. Go back to the way AV had it. It worked well. Watch the tapes, re-educate your team.
  • Pressuring on the PK- most teams run the 1-3-1. Teach your PKers to switch off and pressure, while others block passing lanes. This will help you win more games.
  • Eliminate Blind Backhand Passes from your game. Still seeing it this pre-season. Last season was embarrassing when it came to this. You want to preach accountability. Bench a guy for blind backhand passes that lead to a turnover. It is one of the laziest and dumbest plays in hockey. You want to come across as a good NHL coach, use your leverage to eradicate lazy turnovers.
Start with the above. That's a good reference point for your staff to get your shit together. I like the values Quinny brings, but let's see some more intelligence and accoutability.

From the Forwards:
  • Kreider- contract year, show up every period and bull rush the net. The coaching staff and team can help him out by running set exits to have him chase pucks. Create more 50/50 races for Kreids. It will be up to him earn his retirement contract. Watch what Stepan did with Chris on those manufactured races. Replicate that with another RH center. You have two options.
  • Zibs- Keep doing you brah. Only player on the roster that is worth a letter on his chest. I wouldn't force feed the captaincy, but I will tip my hat to the guy for showing up every shift. You have my respect.
  • Kakko- Let's start with match-ups against 3rd pair D at even strength to get him acclimated. I expect to see his confidence grow as well as his understanding of the game. The rest will follow. Expecting a better 2nd half than 1st.
  • Buchnevich- I expect him to push for 30 goals and 60+ points with very good 5v5 and PP performance.
  • Bread- 30 goals and 80 points. Be who he is.
  • Kravstov- I want him on the NHL roster. I think he is a creator out there, and needs some time to get his timing together.
  • Strome- A good utility guy with bad corsi numbers to divide this forum. Quinny can help him by sending ADA out there at 5v5.
  • Lias- An unrelenting motor. Play your game. Don't worry about the stats. Make sure you do your job of playing hard, defending well, and driving the net. Compete. Don't worry about belonging or your point totals. Compete.
  • Chytil- For him to see a Czech sports psychiatrist and mentor. Seriously, stabilize this kid's confidence by getting him the resources he needs. All of the tools are there. Let it come. The Rangers as an organization have the funds and resources to make this happen. Think outside the box, and invest in your investments.
  • Lemeuix- More swagger and compete level. There are hockey guys I know that think Lemmie has 20 goal ability while being a pest. He just needs to be who he is. I think he will get there. Maybe not 20 this year, but go out there make life harder for others out there. Play dirty. Slashes, slew foots, rabbit punches to the back of the neck. Do what you have to do.
  • Howden- A strong north south game while showing he's much smarter than his brother. Get him a shrink and a mentor too. He lacks consistency, but I like what he can bring. Just go out there and play good western canadian hockey. Stay tight your checks, win draws, and cover for your wingers.
  • Fast- Business as usual. Full effort, and good PK play.
  • Names- To be a solid trade asset.

For the Defense
  • Trouba- 25 minutes a night. All situations. All Matchups.
  • Skjei- To play to his strengths. Just watch your games from your rookie year. Be you. Don't try to be someone else.
  • Hajek- To bring a high level of compete every night. Consistently block shots, skate the puck out of trouble, make clean tape to tape passes. Reduce the risk of scoring chances.
  • Fox- Some inconsistency, but expect him to be an offensive catalyst, especially in the 2nd half. Will struggle in the d-zone boards, and in front of the net as he becomes acclimated. The rest will come.
  • Staal- Just don't toss pucks up the middle in the d-zone. The rest will come. Better stick work in the d-zone.
  • DeAngelo- Play like you want to earn a letter on your chest. Push the pace. Make smart short pinches. Get better when defending the defensive blueline.
  • Smith- Fewer flops, and turnovers when carrying the puck. Fewer dumb penalties. Look less confused out there. More dignified outings.
From the goaltending
  • Hank- More gray hairs on his beard. Be comfortable with fewer games and more nights off. Play to your strengths, and be more efficient. Be a coach and mentor to the kids on the team. Get them to play the right way.
  • Georgiev- Increased save %, and fewer blow out losses.
  • Shesty- Push for ice-time. That's not going to happen if you go back to Ska. Stay in NA. Get into the groove of things, and show your game.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Expectation: another bottom 7-10 finish and crossing all my fingers at the draft lottery

hope: all the young players grow and get better and get closer to being what we need to build a legit team around our top end guys

Reactions: Cag29

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
Interesting thread.

There are numerous seasons within the season.

Loaded with home games through October - opportunity to start strong and set that tone/culture.

I expect a mixed bag early on. Not good enough for a W streak, and not poor enough to be towards the bottom.

From Chytil to Lias to Kravtsov, and everyone in between, I count an unprecedented number of question marks. It’s a numbers game - can we get two or three to really become dependable? If we are relying on Strome to reproduce, I think we will be in trouble.

As always, health is so key. D looks better but any significant injury to the top of the depth chart and it will be chaotic.

Ultimately, more good than bad in 2020. 8th seed - and a fun opening round Game 7 victory.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
Continuing the development with a clear upward trajectory of the team’s future with an outside chance of snagging the last wildcard spot.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Big picture thoughts on my expectations...
  • Good start against a weak early schedule
  • Struggle through Christmas (tough schedule, growing pains)
  • Big noticeable improvement after January 1 that gets the Rangers close/perhaps into to a wild card.
  • Being able to hold a sign up the last day of the season that says "Can't Wait For Next Year!"
And I'd like to be able point to at least 4-5 players and say they can be part of a championship core to go with the ones we already know like Mika, Bread and Trouba.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
What I'm thinking for this season: a team that will hang around until late-February/early-March, but end up falling short, picking around 9-12.

What I'm hoping for: Hoping our young Cs step up and show we have something for the future and don't need to look outside the organization for help. Same for the young D we've added, especially the left side. Work towards having Staal not be on this team next season. Buch breaks out to 60 points and Kreider is traded for a 1st and a prospect.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Time to hear what people are thinking about/hoping for this season

I think about playoffs, because I know we are stronger and deeper with all the new record signings in $ - and new drafted talents recently, but they are all young except Panarin, Zib, and Kreider among our forwards - so it depends how the youth perform on daily basis including Kakko to achieve that Playoffs goal.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
woah are you serious guys? :DD

Summer transfer to New York Rangers:
- Trouba
- Panarin
- Fox

Won the #2nd overall draft lottery Kakko - I expect playoffs and so many believe he can maybe be a generational talent as well! :)

- Kravtsov from last year draft 9th overall! ;)

I sometimes believe some agenda here to protect our GM if they somehow fail to reach playoffs!

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
In all seriousness, there are going to be guys that regress a bit this year that will cancel out those that take the next step. There are alot of young guys here still.

I think the playoffs are a long shot.

Overall, I want to see progress from the younger players. Regardless of where that leads us.

And I have no doubt that Gortons job is Fort Knox safe.

Reactions: Cag29 and Ori

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
woah are you serious guys? :DD

Summer transfer to New York Rangers:
- Trouba
- Panarin
- Fox

Won the #2nd overall draft lottery Kakko - I expect playoffs and so many believe he can maybe be a generational talent as well! :)

- Kravtsov from last year draft 9th overall! ;)

I sometimes believe some agenda here to protect our GM if they somehow fail to reach playoffs!

That doesn’t necessarily make them a playoff team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad